I find parents are often very unreliable at estimating their child's ability.
After the first practice, the mother feels that her kid needs a higher level. We will consult with the managers and VPs involved and make a decision.
And we have decided to say no to the other kid because of abilities. It was a resounding, unanimous no, actually.
Often there are other reasons for asking to move a player.
When they ask for a specific team, that is a dead giveaway that are looking for a friend or particular coach.
We turned one down this spring, the child was clearly not ready to move up (the child was 5, only made the LA 6 cut off by a few days, and they wanted him in the 7-8s), and the parent withdrew the kid.
One board member had a fit, but it was the right thing to do.
The player was barely average in his division. (I feel bad for a child that the parent would rather have not play at all if the parent doesn't get their way)