Electronic registration

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kish_*

Guest_Kish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:15 PM

What is everybody's experience with online registration from a league standpoint?
Cost?
Organization?
Etc.

#2 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:07 AM

It is a lot easier than typing in all those paper applications. I hate trying to read handwriting. You also tend to get fewer mistakes, though parents still enter errors. Parents like using their credit card, though a very few complained about the fee. We may just roll it in to the next registration fee raise.

We pass on the cost, which is just the credit card fee. We get charged if we enter the paper applications online, so we don't.

The couple different places we have looked at seem to charge about the same, and have somewhat similar features, but different ease of use. We may switch from our current provider, as I have had issues working with them. (Mostly over things they call features, but I consider bugs.)

#3 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Online registration is a must. I'm surprised there are leagues not using it.

The time it saves is astronomical.

We're going to switch our platform this winter as well.

We're thinking about moving to Blue Sombrero because it's free aside from a small fee per registration payment.

Anyone use it?

I've had experience with Sports Ngin, League Athletics and SI Play, but they're all about equal and just don't seem worth the money.

#4 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

In our district only 1 league is using Blue sombrero and they seem to like it.

Of the other 11 leagues in our District I think 8 are using League Athletics and 1 SI play. We are grandfathered in with LA and pay an annual fee that is fixed as long as we are 10 or fewer teams per season. Not based on reg. Numbers.

About 50% of our parents use online payments. The rest still like to right checks or give cash.

I'm very happy with LA for the registrations, schedule maintenance and league communications. I find the cost, under our current plan, to be well worth it. And yes we bumped our fee to cover some of the additional costs accocaited with accepting PayPal and administering the website.

There is a new site coming on that reached recently that will probably check out but doubtful we will switch. After living with Ezteams for years LA was a huge improvement.

#5 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:55 PM

We've had our own custom website for years now and it was great in the beginning, but it has it's limits and bugs. Plus it's been a ton of work for our webmaster since he created it.

If we had to go with one I'd pick LA. The league that ran our 9u All Star tournament uses it and I liked it. Decent app also.

The league that runs our local travel league uses SI Play and it stinks. Too many issues and I can't stand their website or app.

The men's league I play in uses Sports Ngin and it's meh, although it has improved quite a bit since NBC bought it (still expensive though).

BS is free aside from the registration fee (2.8% I believe) and seems to do everything we need.

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

We use a custom website which was built by a board member.  It has a ton of great features, and a few gaps in terms of style and mgmt.   The level of service is very high, but the cost is higher on a per-player basis than LA.   

#7 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

From an organizational standpoint, it's the way to go. Saves a lot of time.

The only downfall in our area is volunteer recruitment. With walk in registration, we could interact with the parents, talk with them about voluteering and how LL works, and if not recruit right then and there, we could at least plant the seed.

Also, during our registration weekends, we would have a large contingency of board members on hand working. Parents could see how the league functioned with volunteers and get to know us. It was much more personal and community oriented. The parents could see the hard work of our volunteers, and understanding how LL works, were much more apt to get involved.

I don't know if there is a correlation, but since our district went to online registration, many of our leagues are now going with paid umpires. A few years ago we were 100% volunteer umps accross our district. Seems like all of our leagues are struggling with volunteers in all areas. Again, don't know if there is a correlation, but I strongly suspect there is.

#8 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

Our league does online reg but also has one walk-in registration weekend.  This gives parents a way to meet up in person.  The actual registration is still entered electronically but I agree the facetime is very helpful in building relationships.

-Andy

#9 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:05 AM

It is hard to tell from the demos of these systems, they all seem pretty good. However the actual operation and support can be very different.

I have written this sort of software, and make website, so maybe I'm more critical than some, but I expect help, not just that the way we decided it should work.

I'm not going to either do custom software or web site for the league, because if/when I leave I either have to support it, which means I haven't left, of leave everyone hanging. This is what happened to us with the prior web site, and I had to spend one night patching and switching after it went down and nobody new how to even access some of it.

We are currently using Active/One League. In some ways it is getting better, but I have dome a demo of one that looks better. I.m just hesitant to switch things to often. Or switch to one that turns out worse. :(

I'm going to look at a couple of the ones recommended here.

#10 Guest_Marc Haslam_*

Guest_Marc Haslam_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

We use Blue Sombrero and have been using it for 3 years.  It's free for the League, you just need a 3rd party vendor to process the credit cards and they charge a nominal fee on each credit card processes.  The convenience is worth the small price.  

The on-line registration process saves countless hour in typing all the names into a data upload spread sheet and its easy to send Rosters and contact information to managers.  

Scheduling is easy too.  Once schedules are built players/parents get reminders of games and standings are updated as scores are entered.  Definitely worth it!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users