6 replies to this topic

#1 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

During the past few months we have been hit with an increasing amount of "spam" and links to some websites that we can all agree are Little League inappropriate.

Special thanks to Lou who has promptly picked up and deleted almost everyone of these.

Most of this started occurring when the platform of this forum "IP Boards" changed or updated their "Captcha".

I have also noticed that we still get many guests, but fewer "members"  so I am playing around with some access capabilities. 

While I consider myself pretty darned good with computers, the admin section of this forum is pretty overwhelming so between Little League responsibilities and a real job my time has been limited.

I'll try to play around with this a little more now that the LLWS is over.

Thanks to all who participate! Any and all ideas on how to grow this forum are greatly appreciated.

When we started we had no presence on search engines and now we appear as the #1 site for Little League Discussions! 

• Plesh likes this

#2 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:25 PM

I wasn't around as much for a bit, Brian... sorry I missed on zapping those.

I used to be pretty good about it. 

#3 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

This board has been inundated with spam the past month, two or three. Even with recaptcha the trolls were making it through. Reading up on the topic it appears that people are actually being paid to take the time to login and post this crap so its gone beyond robots.  

This afternoon I changed the forum so folks will have to register and be accepted, This in itself took me a couple of hours as the Admin Section of IP Boards is overwhelming. I really liked the fact that people could hop on, ask a quick question and hop off and wait for an answer but  the recent volume of spam did us in. 

I'll continue to educate myself on the back end of this forum in the event we can expedite any new posts. Until then a million thanks to Lou for deleting about 200 posts the past few months, hopefully we can put this to an end.

BH 

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

Glad I could help.

I have "no problem" deleting "garbage" when I see it !!!     :D

#5 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

I have a hit a few the last few weeks where I could... I haven't been reporting them, just straight up deleting them. Is there a difference? 

#6 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

>>>This afternoon I changed the forum so folks will have to register and be accepted.

I would have went with email verification....That way they can start an account and ask a question within minutes.

#7 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

I'll have to see if I can find that as an option to register.
The back end of this forum is extremely complex and "above my pay grade"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users