Pros & Cons Of Draft Plan A

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ReggieF_*

Guest_ReggieF_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

I am our league's PA and we are considering moving towards Draft Plan A, we have been using Plan B the last few years. My question for everyone is what would be some of the potential benefits/draw backs to moving forward with Plan A? Also for anyone that uses Plan A, do you use it in all your divisions or just for Majors? Thanks in advance.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

What problems have you had with Plan B that makes you want to go to Plan A?

In the past few years the movement has been going away from Plan A to Plan B, I prefer Alternate Plan B.

The decision is up to your BOD and they can use different Plans for different Divisions.

In my experience, Plan A often results in team imbalance.
Plan B has a better chance to end up with better team balance.

• Jeremy, amutz and Plesh like this

#3 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:46 PM

Plan A requires dedicated/ knowledgeable coaches otherwise it can get messy quickly. It definitely has the biggest chance of creating imbalance (and that imbalance can sometimes last 3 years for a team).

As we've discussed at length on many a thread here, Alt Plan B is the way to go. 

• Jeremy likes this

#4 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:25 AM

Most coaches follow their kids up and never coach a division for more then three years.

What I would love for my local league is a group of four-five managers that coach majors for 10 plus years and don't have kids on the team.....If we could find managers like that I would be more open to different draft plans.....As it is I like a fresh start every year and think that managers option on their own kids already creates enough imbalance.
  • RSMBob and Plesh like this

#5 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:06 AM

My advise is to stay with Plan B. Years ago, my league went away from Plan A and it was one of the best things we could have done. Plan A creates a competitive imbalance, not to mention a sense of entitlement with coaches coming back the following year. Coaches think it is an automatic that they will return the next year. They all think they are entitled to come back because, after all, it's "their" team. If you do have to get rid of a manager, then the replacement may get a team with a lot of kids they didn't even draft. And when you have to expand or contract teams in a division? Creates more headaches. Plan A only benefits the coaches.

When making decisions for your league, your primary concerns should be for the benefit of the kids, not some jackwagon selfish coaches! I'm willing to bet that this push towards Plan A is being made from some coaches with ulterior motives. Oh, BTW, you have a returning coaches option with Plan A. I'm sure that figures into the equation, too.

Plan A causes more problems than it's worth. I don't even know why LL still allows it. Don't let it happen.

JMHO
  • RSMBob and Plesh like this

#6 RSMBob

RSMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

Great comments...
Why DOES LL still allow Plan A and do many leagues still use it?
Complete re-draft and CBO are the 2 great things LL has implemented.
Makes things so much more competitive and makes sure all kids are involved.
  • Robin Barradio and Plesh like this

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:32 AM

In 2010 "mandating" a redraft every year was an Agenda Item at LL Congress in Lexington .
It did not pass (55% Yes, 45% No).
At the roundtable I was at most DA's favored a re-draft but felt LL mandating it was not the right thing to do.
The main argument was "if it works for some leagues then they should be allowed to use it."
The other argument was "LL is always accused of mandating everything, so why not just leave the Draft Plans the way they are?"

So, it is still an approved Plan but fewer and fewer leagues are using it.

========================
I agree that what needs to be addressed is the Manager and Returning Coach Options.
I would like to see the Rulebook revised so there were two choices:
1) The "Draft Rounds" currently described in Pages 168-169 of the BB Rulebook
2) The BOD appoint an evaluator (eg: the PA) or two or more independent evaluators (one of which could be the PA) to determine which round the player must be taken in/by.

Having a manager get a "First Round Player" in the 3rd Round due to an Option is unfair and often results in team imbalance.

So can having to take a Fifth or Sixth Round Player in the 3rd Round (not all manager/coaches' kids are studs).

Of course, as of now, you could always put in a Waiver to use #2 or any other method your BOD thinks is fair (hopefully it would get approved!).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users