41 replies to this topic

#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

On the "JRs District Tourney Bat Violation ..." Post there are a few posts that talk about how many games it takes for a team to get to Regionals.

In one of the posts it says for "all divisions", the District winners go directly to the State Tournament (there are no Sectional Tournaments).

I'm used to Districts, Sectionals, States (been that way in several States where I have been involved with LL).

I know that if there are only a few Districts in a State it makes sense for the District Winners to go straight to States.

It also makes sense to me that if it is a small state it may make sense for the District Winners to go straight to States.

That said, to me, if it is a larger state and has a lot of Districts I would think Districts, Sectionals, States is the way to go.

It cuts down on travel and saves a lot of money for the local leagues that win the District title.

So, here are my questions:

1) What State are you in?

2) How many Districts are there in your State?

3) Does your State have Sections/Sectional Tournaments?

My answers are:

1) Florida

2) 27

3) Yes (that said, for the older divisions (eg: Big League) where not that many Districts/Sections have teams, there are no Sectionals, the District winners go straight to States)

So, for the most part, in Florida, it's Districts, Sections, States.

---------

Update:  I didn't get that involved with any Local League for the couple of years I lived in NC, I mostly stayed active in my old District in Florida (helping with schedules, whatever). 

I just looked up LL in NC and it appears they do NOT have Sectionals - is that correct Mike?

#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

1) New Jersey

2) 19 Districts

3) Yes, we have 4 Sections made up of : 4, 4, 5, 6 districts (it's a little uneven because one district dissolved this winter so realignment may be coming for next year).

#3 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

NY

38 Districts

4 sectionals - Each section has 2 sub-sections (8 teams advance to States)  I didn't post this highlighted part - who did?

States

#4 Erving

Erving

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Pennsylvania

32 districts

8 sectionals

States

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

I've never made it past game four in DE at Districts so I wouldn't know.

But I know how to use Google.

http://www.unpage.org/nocal/

#6 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

CT
12 Districts
4 Sections

We have Sectional Tournaments unless the participation in the Division is low then we bypass Sectionals right to States.
We bypassed Sectionals and went right to States in 9-11 SB, SLBB, SLSB

#7 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

As discussed by Lou in the Jr's Bat Violation thread,

State: Virginia

Districts: 16

Sections: 0

Districts go directly to the State Tournament

When I first came to the old LL forum (before this site was created) and was reading about sectionals, I was like, what the heck are sectionals? LOL

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

If I were a DA in the State of Virginia, I would ask (propose) that the State be divided into Sections (probably 4) and that Sectional Tournaments be held prior to States.

After all, if you look at the "Tournament Calendar" posted on the LL Website, it shows the Approved Dates for:

Districts

Sectionals

States

Regionals

World Series

As discussed by me and others, 16 Districts is perfect for 4 Sections.

With Sectionals, most leagues could save money on travel, hotels, meals, etc...

#9 jkllfan

jkllfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

State: Ohio

Districts: 11

District winners go directly to State;  no sectionals. 

State sites rotate between the District with 300 miles being about the maximum any team might have to travel to participate.  

#10 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

Lou... NC does not have Sectionals.

But the state is badly in need of realignment... among other things. 

A good resource for this is the old Unpage.org.

Off the top of my head, states with Sectionals... mileage may vary and there are a couple of States out there were Sectionals are used in some Divisions and not others... 

NY, PA, NJ, FL, TX (inside of an east-west configuration), CA (inside of a north-south configuration), CT, IL come to mind. I think IND is one of those partials like CT, also.

Virginia had Sectionals at one time but did away with it to go to a Pool Play State Tourney if I remember correctly.

Plus a lot of the VA Districts lack other divisions, so the Sectionals quickly became uneven. 

NJ has always been uneven.

At one point there were 20 districts and it was 5-4-5-6, which came into play when 21 was formed from 15, 3 and 14 and 12 got kicked to the central.

#11 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:40 PM

Plesh, technically D17 still exists. WP rejected the states realignment

#12 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Yes, but they are all playing in D10.

#13 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

According to the New Jersey Little League State Website there are 20 Districts (1 through 21 with no District 9) divided into 4 Sections as follows:

1: 1,2,4,17,20

2: 5,6,7,8

3: 10,11,12,18,19

4: 3,13,14,15,16,21

If District 17 is actually playing in District 10 then, in reality, Sections 1 and 2 have 4 Districts each and Sections 3 and 4 have 6 Districts each.

#14 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

Lou... NC does not have Sectionals.

But the state is badly in need of realignment... among other things. 

A good resource for this is the old Unpage.org.

Off the top of my head, states with Sectionals... mileage may vary and there are a couple of States out there were Sectionals are used in some Divisions and not others... 

NY, PA, NJ, FL, TX (inside of an east-west configuration), CA (inside of a north-south configuration), CT, IL come to mind. I think IND is one of those partials like CT, also.

Virginia had Sectionals at one time but did away with it to go to a Pool Play State Tourney if I remember correctly.

Plus a lot of the VA Districts lack other divisions, so the Sectionals quickly became uneven. 

NJ has always been uneven.

At one point there were 20 districts and it was 5-4-5-6, which came into play when 21 was formed from 15, 3 and 14 and 12 got kicked to the central.

Regarding VA, while there are 16 districts at the 11-12 age bracket, there are less for juniors.

Also, while VA D16 (where I am) has 10 teams within the 11-12 age bracket and below, there were only 3 teams in the same district for Jr's; 2 teams for seniors.

So as you can see, there is a YUGE drop off in the number of teams once you go to the big field.

I would guess, its similar for the other 15 districts in VA

#15 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

That's correct Lou,

It's technically 20 districts, but all of the proposals to move leagues from D17 to other districts were scrapped.

So D17 is just playing with D10 this summer and we'll see where it goes from here.

Section 1 is down to 4 districts and Section 3 really has 6 districts.

#16 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

Regarding VA, while there are 16 districts at the 11-12 age bracket, there are less for juniors.

Also, while VA D16 (where I am) has 10 teams within the 11-12 age bracket and below, there were only 3 teams in the same district for Jr's; 2 teams for seniors. So as you can see, there is a YUGE drop off in the number of teams once you go to the big field. I would guess, its similar for the other 15 districts in VA

That's everywhere though.

We only had 1 Juniors BB (us) and 1 Seniors BB team in our district enter into the tournament so they both get their district banners and go right to sections.

If there are not enough teams to play in the 4 sections it may go right to states (like I'm sure Big League BB did).

It obviously varies state by state because of enrollment/ distance, but at the 8,9,10 and 10,11,12 levels sections would work great.

#17 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Districts are Districts and Sections are Sections.

So, if a District has 10 leagues then those 10 leagues can put teams into the District Tournament.

Many leagues have fewer teams in the older age groups (especially Big League).

So, how many leagues, if any, play for the District title varies by Division.

Same goes for Sections.

If a Section has 4 Districts then those Districts can put District Champs in the Sectional Tournament.

Depending on the Division, the number of Districts Champs playing in Sectionals vary, might even be Zero for Divisions like Senior/Big League (especially in Softball).

So, as in the case of Florida I described above, the levels played may be Districts, Sectionals then States or they may be just District then States.

For example, in Big League Softball in Florida this year there are only two teams in the State Tournament.

One of those two teams is a "Combined Team" of three (3) leagues, one of which is my old league.

Those 3 leagues within our District played as a "Combined Team" all season long.

#18 Guest_John Valantine_*

Guest_John Valantine_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

Southern California (counted as a state) looks like 38 districts, 10 sections.
North 5 sections and South 5 sections play for sub-divisional championship.
Then north sub-divisional and south sub-divisional winners play a 3 game series for the state title.

#19 RSMBob

RSMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:06 AM

Southern California (counted as a state) looks like 38 districts, 10 sections.
North 5 sections and South 5 sections play for sub-divisional championship.
Then north sub-divisional and south sub-divisional winners play a 3 game series for the state title.

Needless to say, it takes quite a run for the SoCal team to get there

#20 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

So I just looked at the So Cal road to the West Region.

I followed Redondo Beach D36 since they were one of the boardering towns from where I lived.

They went 14-3 if my math is right with two losses being in the So Cal finals to Chula Vista. 

17 games total, that is more than a full house season that we play here in NoVa including the playoffs. 

We play 12 reg season games in house plus up to 3 max PO games. 

These Redondo all star kids must have played close to 40 LL games (not counting any travel ball that they may have played)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users