Ejection/Suspension Carryover to All Stars?

35 replies to this topic

#21 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:29 PM

I wouldn't carry it over to the Tournament either, I was just using it as an example since people were talking about carrying over "ejections/suspensions" from Regular Season to The Tournament.

There are a few cases where an All Star (better player) might not meet MPR, maybe he got there late and the manager put him in anyway and he didn't play enough defensive outs, who knows.  Maybe the game didn't mean anything in the standings so the manager "sat" some of his normal starters.

It can certainly happen.

Point is, in MY opinion, pretty much the only thing that carries over from Regular Season to The Tournament is days rest for the pitchers.

Some leagues play Regular Season Games/Playoffs right up to the start of The Tournament.

As such, if a pitcher threw a lot of pitches in their last game he might not meet the days rest requirements when the first Tournament Game rolls around.

#22 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

Our district has a kill date for TOCs, every pitcher comes in with full rest.

#23 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

>>>And why wouldn't an all-star not meet MPR in his last regular game? Doesn't make sense in the first place.

Last game of the year if meaningless is a "Where would you like to play" game.....Stars sit the bench, in some cases for the first time all year.

#24 Mr. Dill

Mr. Dill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

So...a coach in a back and forth Championship game in Districts, questions an umpire on a safe or out call, where the umpire was out of position. the coach just calmly asked the ump for help. and was ejected without first given a  warning. No Yelling or Screaming and no use of Foul Language. Now the team won the Districts and the next game played at the Sectional Level that coach can not be at the game site. And the team has to use a player in the coaches box, because they are 1 coach down. Correct?

#25 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Obviously HTBT, but his first mistake is to question the umpire. No reason for that. In 15 years of competitive baseball I've seen an umpire overturn his own call 1 time.

Now a player must coach a base, correct.

#26 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Different umpires have different levels of what they will/won't tolerate.
Also, there is no requirement for giving a warning.

The coach got ejected so the coach is suspended for the next game, which, in this case, is Sectionals.
The coach cannot be replaced, the team is limited to the manager and the other coach so, as you said, a player will need to coach one of the bases.

#27 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

Last game of the year if meaningless is a "Where would you like to play" game.....Stars sit the bench, in some cases for the first time all year.

I did that every year.
Everyone met MPR.
It's not hard.

#28 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Yes, and it will be recorded on the Affidavit so there is no escaping that one.

#29 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Our district has a kill date for TOCs, every pitcher comes in with full rest.

?????????????

• Jeremy likes this

#30 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

Not sure, but I think it means the DA makes sure all of the leagues' Regular Seasons and their District TOC are completed at least 4 days prior to the start of District All Stars.
That way, all the pitchers have met their rest requirements by the start of the Tournament.

Of course, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time)! B)
  • Jeremy likes this

#31 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

You pretty much got it right, but the kill date is for regular season to have first place determined by, something like May 30th and then TOCs would start June 4th....There's always around a 10 day break between District TOCs and AllStars.

Makeups and tiebreakers make teams go past the kill date sometimes, so teams do go into TOC with pitchers on days of rest still...but the intent of a kill date is to have fresh pitching for all.

#32 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

I had a manager lose track of pitch counts last week during an elimination game and his pitcher exceeded the max. They lost the game, but I called it in anyway and was told by ER to notify the league president that the suspension should carry over into next season.

I found that interesting as I would have thought once they were eliminated it was a done deal. In fact I came close to not even calling it it in to report.  

#33 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

I had a manager lose track of pitch counts last week during an elimination game and his pitcher exceeded the max. They lost the game, but I called it in anyway and was told by ER to notify the league president that the suspension should carry over into next season.

I found that interesting as I would have thought once they were eliminated it was a done deal. In fact I came close to not even calling it it in to report.  

Why didn't the pitch counter notify him? That's his job.  Suspend the pitch counter too.

But wait. The tournament rules supersede  regulation VI so there is no pitch counter.

But wait, the official scorer has to enter the pitch counts on the affidavit so who has the official pitch count?

#34 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

I think that's still a bit of a gray area.
Intervene or don't intervene.
In this instance the official score keeper/pitch counter stopped the game one pitch over the max as I believe she was double checking her numbers.

#35 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

I think that's still a bit of a gray area. Intervene or don't intervene, In this instance the official score keeper pitch counter stopped the game one pitch over the max as I believe she was double checking her numbers.  

Is having the count on the scoreboard in 12" numerals (and sometimes in the dugout like at WP) intervening?  An obvious way of continuously making the count public. It shouldn't be a secret. 

Reg VI says the manager must know when his pitcher needs to be removed.  He can do that without having to keep the count himself. Why have a pitch counter if you're going to make the manager keep the count?  (BTW I did it with tally counters - one for my pitcher and one for the other team's pitcher).

#36 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

Game officials are supposed to take action to prevent Protests.
So, it's the Official Scorer's/Pitch Counter's job to make sure the pitcher does not exceed his/her max pitch count.

It is also the manager's responsibility to remove the pitcher before violating the pitch count.

As for the ER saying the Manager should be suspended for the first Regular Season game next year, I guess the ER Janitor is crazier than some of the ones in Williamsport !!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users