all star selection recourse

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_george miller_*

Guest_george miller_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Is there any recourse to a league that obviously allows politics to select an all-star team? I realize that these kind of things happen in all aspects of life and I typically ignore it. However, in this situation there are major disparity between the players stats. I feel really bad for the boy who was left out because I coached him in fall ball and know the work he put in. The boy who was selected over him was our 5th best player on that fall ball team but his Dad is a doctor and into the local political game.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:37 PM

Sorry, but the answer is No, at least not for this season.

The only recourse is to vote in some new Board Members for next season, hopefully some that care about "all" of the kids not just "some" of the kids.

By the way, how (what method) was used to select the team?

#3 Guest_george miller_*

Guest_george miller_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:44 PM

Thanks.

I was told that it was the three coaches sitting in a room.

Not much (if any) input from the other coaches.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:00 PM

There is no Little League "mandated" method for selecting All Stars, it's up to each Local League to decide how to do it.

LL does have a "recommended" method (League Officers, Players, Managers, Coaches and Volunteer Umpires all vote, players with the most votes are on the Team, the BOD "breaks" any ties).

That said, I don't know of any leagues that use that method.

So again, the method is up to the league (it should be written/described in your Local Rules).

In my experience, some methods work better than others !!!

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Voting methods can work different from age to age and from sex to sex.

In majors they can usually vote what IMO is right down till about the 10th spot, in minors they start getting it wrong as early as the 5th spot.

This year we put eight year olds on the ballots but we didn't think any would get voted in, we were wrong.....I use to push for using LL recommended method with no luck from my board, I now don't believe in it.

#6 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

All selection methods are wrong.

• Jeremy, rsnyder6 and Plesh like this

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

"All selection methods are wrong."

Yup, just ask the parents of the kids that didn't make the team !!!  :D

#8 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

Tell me about it.

You can never win. Our managers choose the teams. I tried to get player voting and even my daughter thought that was crazy.

I pushed for 13 player rosters. We managed to field 4 teams this season. 9/10, 10/11, 11/12 and juniors. Everyone was given opportunity for post season play. Yeah!!!

Then the bickering starts. Why isn't my daughter on the 11/12? Why did the 9/10 team take the only LA10 that played in majors?

After games start: how come my kid is only getting 1 ab but playing the field for 6? How come my kid isn't playing the field?

From the managers: why did we take 13? All the other teams got approval for 11 and we're getting burdened with 13?

#9 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

You should only have 11 kids on an affidavit if your league is super small (like 2 teams in a division) and the remaining players absolutely do not want to play All Stars. There is a reason the minimum is 12.

Unless there is a rare situation where you are lucky enough to get 11 to come out for a tournament team, you should not get approval with only 11 on an affidavit. Besides it being a big advantage, it's about giving as many kids the opportunity to play All Stars as possible.

#10 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

maybe the kid selected, has a skill that the team wanted more depth in that the "better" player didn't have. I'm not sure that I see where the work put in equates to more talented.

some kids are just naturals and are better than kids who work hard but just don't have it.

That said and done, the all star selection is often baffling at best and horrific at worst

Personally, I think the best selection method is to have coaches who don't have kids on the all star team. Yes there is still politics but there is less risk of it

#11 Guest_Peter_*

Guest_Peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

Is there any recourse to a league that obviously allows politics to select an all-star team? I realize that these kind of things happen in all aspects of life and I typically ignore it. However, in this situation there are major disparity between the players stats. I feel really bad for the boy who was left out because I coached him in fall ball and know the work he put in. The boy who was selected over him was our 5th best player on that fall ball team but his Dad is a doctor and into the local political game.

Ask for a copy of the league all star voting procedure/policy.
Ask the all-star committee to confirm that they followed it.

If they don't have one, they should.
Talk to the board and ask them to write one and follow it.

Offer to write it yourself...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users