2 replies to this topic

#1 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

This happened to me several years ago and I do not recall all of the specifics however it went something like this: 

I was umpiring a Little League tournament game and during pre-game i noticed a couple of kids in the stands of the traveling team dressed with the same exact pants as the team on the field. The team only had 10 kids on the field in full uniform for introductions and in the dugout. With that sense of fairness instilled in me I had a strong feeling that these kids were actually "alternates" possibly on the affidavit ready to suddenly appear should the need arise.

As it was, I did not take any action, nor did the opposing team mention it. For all I know they could have been younger brothers from another team. But I always think back about this and it bugs me that maybe I should have asked their names to see if they were on the affidavit or it should not be an area of my concern. 

Our umpire often dual role as TD's so we do have that authority,

Thoughts? 

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:27 PM

I don't worry about who is sitting in the stands.

Most of the leagues in my District have all their teams wearing the "same" uniform.

There could be lots of kids in the stands with the same uniform as those on the field!

As long there are 9 players on the roster/Affidavit present/in the dugout at the start of the game then I'm good to go.

As for the kids in the stands, I will say that if my kid was on the team and the manager told him to just "sit this one out" in the stands you can bet all h_ll is going to break loose!

#3 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

Agree with Lou. Don't go looking for trouble, especially in the stands. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users