Player asking to be released from Majors team

16 replies to this topic

#1 mchuck

mchuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

It is my understanding that a parent can request that their child be released from a Majors team and re-enter the draft. Can this happen without the Manager releasing the player?

If the manager doesn’t release the player and the BOD votes to approve the release does the manager get a compensatory draft pick for the player he just lost?

#2 Guest_Louis Barbieri_*

Guest_Louis Barbieri_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

As written in the Operating Manual the Manager is the one who requests the release of the player.

That said, many leagues allow the request to come from the parent.

In some cases the manager may want to "trade" the player rather than release him/her because at least the manager gets something in return.

If the manager "releases" the player then the manager "loses" that player and gets nothing in return.

Can the BOD "force" the manager to "release" the player, technically no but since the President appointed and the BOD approved the manager the manager could find himself relieved of the job!

We Re-Drafted every year so this wasn't an issue, if I were on a BOD that used Plan A (retained players) I would hope the manager would be allowed to trade the player rather than release the player.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Excerpted from A Year in the Life of Hometown Little League CAPS for emphasis are mine):

RELEASING A PLAYER DURING THE OFF-SEASON
In any contemplated release of a player, the manager must make the Board of Directors aware of the situation immediately (Regulation III e).
At Hometown, the player agent first determines (in writing from manager) why the manager wants to release the player, OR WHY THE PARENTS WANT THE PLAYER TO BE RELEASED.
Playing ability cannot be a factor.
The issue is then brought before the board of directors for a decision.
No release is valid without the board approval.
The player is then notified of the release in writing, in time to attend tryouts for the coming season.

#4 4thekids

4thekids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

During our leagues last board meeting, our player agent presented a request that they had received.  It was from the parents of a current major league player asking to have their child released from a team and be able to re-enter the draft for the upcoming season.  The request was made due to a situation that arose during the season last year, in which an interim manager had to be named for the final 4 to 5 games of the season.  At the time the request was submitted a manager had not been named for that team.  The board looked at the request, discussed it and then voted to release the player.  Later, during the same board meeting, the names of the managers for the upcoming season were presented to the board and voted on one by one.  A new manager, it ended up being the interim manager, was named as the manager of the team from which the player had just been released.  My questions are:

Did the board have to name the manager first, make the new manager aware of the situation and ask him if he would grant a release of the player? 

or

Could the board make the decision on its own because at the time the release was requested there was no manager named for that particular team?

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Sounds crazy but the answer is it's up to the Board.

Personally, I would have waited until the managers were named.

If the team was going to have a different manager than the problem goes away and the player could stay on the same team.

In fact, even if the team was going to have the same manager it may have been more proper to let that manager trade the player.

Releasing the player, especially if he is a very good player, is a detriment to that team, at least with a trade the manager might be able to get a similarly skilled player in return.

#6 4thekids

4thekids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

What about this statement? It is on LL's website when talking about dealing with a winter release:

"In any contemplated release of a player, the manager MUST make the board of directors aware of the situation immediately. This applies to “Major Division” teams where eligible players are retained in the following season. (Regulation III e.)

In well-run Little Leagues, the player agent first determines (in writing from manager) why the manager wants to release the player, or why the parents want the player to be released. Playing ability cannot be a factor.

The issue is then brought before the board of directors for a decision. No release is valid without the board approving it."

I don't know how regulation III e reads, but to me the above paragraphs make it sound like it has to come from or go through the manager. To clarify, I did not put the word "must" in all caps in the above statement. It reads that way on the LL website already.

#7 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

The excerpt you are quoting pertains to regular season issues for the most part. If you were applying that to a following season, then you are assuming manager's tenure, for which there is none. 

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

"why the manager wants to release the player, or why the parents want the player to be released"

Yes, it "normally"comes through the manager but some leagues allow the request to come directly from the parent.

As I said above, I personally like to see the manager involved since releasing a player can be a major detriment to his/her team and a trade might be better situtation than a release.

#9 4thekids

4thekids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Ok, thanks. As long as it was done correctly I am ok with it. I just think there are going to be some complaints. I do feel like the team that lost him should be compensated in some way as he will go 1st pick in the draft no questions asked. The page that I got the quote from said:

WINTER: RELEASING A PLAYER BEFORE THE SEASON BEGINS

The above along with having "must" in all caps on LL website is why I thought a manager would still have to be involved. I don't have a horse in the race because my son plays on a team that is not involved in the situation & my son's team doesn't have the first pick in the draft. I just feel like the team that lost the player gets the raw end of the deal, since he is such a good ball player. I agree that a trade would have been a better option.

#10 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

the first thing I think of reading all of this is

if the player is very good; Manager wants to trade the player and get something reasonably talented in return

if the player is avg: the manager sees if there is a market out there to trade, what he might get in return and if he doesn't like it, then just releases hoping to pick up at least someone of equal talent in the draft

if the player is one of the bottom three in talent on the team, you are probably more than happy to release him figuring you can draft better than what you are releasing

so this thing I can see being gamed depending on the talent level of the player requesting release

#11 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

Of course, re-drafting every year solves this problem !!! ;o)

#12 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Uhhhhhh... then what LL has on its site makes no sense. You don't have a manager of the team, technically, during the winter months. Not until presidential appointments take place... 

And as Lou states, this is only an issue in the player-tenure system. 

#13 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

I still cannot get over why the board would have approved the release. They are just setting themselves up for a *^@#*storm. What's to say the manager that has the first pick did not collaborate with the boys parents  to convince them to get him released so he could pick the kid up.  If this just happened I would give it some serious reconsideration, only in rare circumstances should this type of request be approved. It's unfortunate but there are far too many dis-honest coaches and parents out there to start letting the tail wag the dog.   

#14 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:16 AM

Easy fix, Re-Draft!!!

I was the President for about 8 years when our league used Plan A (before we changed to Re-Drating every year).
In those 8 years our BOD approved exactly zero releases.
In every case the manager worked out a trade.

Don't let the inmates run the asylum!

#15 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

We had a similar situation during our draft tonight.  I remember reading about this subject here, in A Year in the Life and a little in the OM.  But I sure couldn't find it when I tried.  We had a player request to be released from a team during registration this year.  A board member signed off on it and everyone assumed that was okay.  I brought it up to board members and the manager before the draft began that he should be allowed to trade for the player, instead of just losing him to the blind draft, but the board would have to vote on releasing the player to make it official.

I was told that because the parent requested the release, the player is automatically released and returned to the blind draft.  If the manager had asked for the release, the board would have had to vote on it.  I was also told that in this case, it doesn't really matter and it doesn't make any difference.  I mentioned several times that player trades without board approval are not valid, but I was told that our DA was called and, like several other board issues, he signed off on the decision without a board vote.  I was told not to lose any sleep over it and that this was a discretionary decision by the league president. 

For future reference, where is it actually stated that a manager can try to trade a player who requested release, instead of just losing the player altogether?  And is there actually an emergency situation where a player can be released by only one executive board member? 

I'm losing sleep over this.  :D

#16 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

The LL Rule is that a player can be released for a "Justifiable Reason" subject to Board of Directors Approval. 

The last thing a league wants to do is allow a parent to manipulate a release as it will ultimately lead to chaos.

If there was a legitimate reason, the board approved and the manager losing the player agreed the player would now be free to tryout again (I believe without compensation). Ifteh manager does not agree I believe he can hold onto the rights of the player until after the draft and then work out a trade. 

#17 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

I was always of the opinion that you should allow the manager the option of trading the player.
If the player is one of the better players on the team it's not fair to the manager to lose that player and get nothing in return.
Now, if the manager agrees to release the player that's fine too.

If there is a "release" it has to be for a justifiable reason that is approved by the BOD.
Players shouldn't be automatically released just because a parent requests it, don't let the inmates run the asylum!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users