Tournament Rules

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lori_*

Guest_Lori_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:25 PM

Hello, In our tournament bracket for the Junior division, the games were to be Monday and then again on Wednesday. The team that we are scheduled to play, stated they had to move the game to Tuesday because there was a bg league regular season game scheduled on Monday. Now we play Tuesday and Wednesday, where as the other teams in the bracket play Monday and Wednesday. They will have 1 days rest for their pitchers and we will not. Is there anything in the rules that states anything about this? Is this acceptable. I am curious as to why the Big League games was not rescheduled for Tuesday. I though tournament games take priority over regular season games.  Please advise, thank you. 

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:16 PM

I would talk to the DA, he/she sets the schedule.
Local Leagues generally do not have the authority to move their games.
I agree that Tournament Games should take president over the Regular Season game.
They should move the Big League game (in my opinion).
That said, playing back to back games is not against the rules and if you advance you can pretty much count on playing some back to back games.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

I don't believe there's any priority.

....and in my opinion a team that stands a chance in tournment play should be able to go back to back days, a baseball team needs more than one Ace, not as true with softball.....If you move on to bigger bracket tournaments you will be going back to back days at some point.

#4 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

Depends on what chance in what tournament you are talking about. How many teams really are thinking LL Jr. WS? Most do not. I would say, the vast majority of the teams would be happy with a District championship and a chance to participate and be  competitive in how ever many games they get in the states.

#5 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

It is a very difficult task to balance an entire tournament so that every little "X-Factor" is equal for all. Even the best planned tournaments can go astray when you have a rainout in one corner of the district and it's sunny three towns over.  Same with some of the random seeding in a double elim when you have play-in games and some teams have to burn their stud just to get in the "opening round" 

What you have to keep in mind is that as you advance to the next levels you are eventually going to be required to play a back breaking run of consecutive games so your team either has it or it doesn't.  

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

B_Hanlon, I agree totally.

I've done all sorts of Tournament Schedules for my District, you try to be "fair" but sometimes there isn't much you can do, especially if you have an odd number of teams!

BUT, in this case the teams were "scheduled" to play on Monday and Wednesday and "the local league/team" changed the schedule to Tuesday and Wednesday.

The District sets the Tournament Schedule and, at least where I'm from, local leagues/teams do not have the authority to change it.

If there are problems (rain, lightning, whatever) and a game needs to be rescheduled, the DA is notified and the DA establishes the date/time/place for the rescheduled game.

If I were the DA in this case I would have told the league to move the Big League game and keep the Tournament Game schedule as-is (maybe that's just me!).

You can't allow local leagues to just move Tournament games around.

For one thing, it plays havoc on Umpire scheduling and it could be a problem getting the TD re-scheduled.

#7 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

I've been scheduling our District for over a decade.

Once the schedule is out, I am very likely not going to change it.

A schedule has to be fair and balanced.

Teams within a division need to play on the same day (byes are the only exception).

It is unfair what was done here.

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

I can picture it now, Team A is supposed to play Team B for the District Championship on Friday night at Team A's field.

Team A used it's best pitcher in its last game and to meet his rest requirement he will not be eligible to pitch until Saturday.

Oops, sorry, we've got a Regular Season Game on that field Friday night, guess we'll have to move the District Championship Game to Saturday.

Of course, they could always pull a "Bull Durham" and accidentally turn the sprinklers on Friday afternoon so the field is "unplayable" Friday night !!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users