#1 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

So last game of the day on Saturday.

Seniors softball although most players are 13/14.

Inexperienced player on 3rd with 1 out. She takes her lead on the release and on the crack of the bat continues touching homeplate. Team dugout is on the 1st base side.

First base coach see the towering fly ball and the center fields camped under it. He starts yelling for the R3 to return to 3rd. She sees/hears him and retreated touching home on her way back to 3rd.

As she touches home again the fielder drops the flyball. They get the ball in and proceed to get R3 in a rundown and tag her. Plate ump calls her out.

Manager argues that once she touched home legally she's no longer at risk to be put out. He didn't convince her. Next batter struck out and killed a rally.

Thoughts

Jamie

#2 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

She can retreat back to 3B for a re-touch, even though she touched home. Sounds like she touched home on her way back to 3B, which so far is correct.

I'm a little fuzzy on what happened next, not sure I understand exactly what happened.

You say, "As she touches home again the fielder drops the flyball."

Did she go back and re-touch 3B, and then touch home again? How did she get into a rundown?

I can't really answer the second part of your question without clearer details. Sorry, but I'm not getting a clear picture of what happened.

#3 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

Sorry I repeated myself. I'll try and list events best I can

1. R3 Left on release
2. Batter swung and hit high fly to center
3. R3 continued home and touched home
4. First base coach thinks ball will be caught and encourages runner to touch home again and return to third.
5. Fielder drops the ball as R3 touches home and begins her retreat to 3rd.
6. Fielder throws ball into 3rd and R3 is caught in a rundown and tagged.

She was called out. Manager argues she legally touched home and cannot be put out.

#4 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

I think manager is correct.  the runner is at risk if the ball is caught, but since the runner did not have to tag up at third is no longer at risk of being put out.

Rule 7.02.  "If forced to return, the runner shall retouch all bases in reverse order".  Since the runner was not forced to return, she was safe at home the first time she touched it.

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

But maybe when she retouched it and ran the bases in reverse order she put herself at risk of an unforced out?

#6 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:16 AM

@Jamief. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the delay in answering your question, but I wanted to make sure I had the right interpretation.

The runner had legally scored, so she cannot be put out, the coach was correct.

I didn't find anything in the RIM, but I found an interpretation in the Wendelstedt Umpire Manual, Section 5.4.2, page 76:

"Any runner who has legally scored a run cannot have his run removed because he mistakenly returns to a previously occupied base, either believing that he missed it, or that he did not legally tag up."

Once the fielder dropped the ball, the runner had legally scored and was not in any jeopardy to be put out on appeal.

Hope that helps.

#7 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

Thank you!!

I thought that was the case. I'll let the manager know and ask the UIC next time I see him to review with his umps.

J

#8 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:31 AM

OBR ( upon which the LL rules are based)

Rule 5.06 Comment: A run legally scored cannot be nullified by subsequent action of the runner,
such as but not limited to an effort to return to third base in the belief that he had left the base
before a caught fly ball.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users