8 replies to this topic

#1 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:50 PM

We use CBO.  In the 3rd inning and parent takes a player home early for a soccer game.  He was my last out of the prior inning.  After 1 1/3 innings his slot comes up again and I inform the umpire and scorekeepers that his parent took him home.  We put in the next player, and the umpire called my absent player out.

Trying to find the rule covering this situation.

#2 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

For SB it's covered in 4.04. NOTE 2:

When a child is injured becomes ill or must leave game site , the team will skip over him/her when his/her time at bat comes up without penalty.

Goes on to say player may come back into the game in same spot.

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Someone let me know 4.04 Note 2.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:18 PM

So Ron, what happened when you Protested !!! 😀

There are a few other scenarios that sometime come up in CBO that are not described in 4.04, for example:
What do you do if a runner or the batter is injured/ill/ejected?
There are actually a couple of options but your league should decide which they endorse and put it in your local rules.

Take a look at:
http://www.littlelea.../Page56863.aspx

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

Didn't get that far. We were to far behind and it was the bottom of the 6th.   When it was raised I approached HP and discussed. I informed him how we handle it and my understanding of the rule (without citing it or bringing out my book).     Discussions were had, he told me he's been doing this along time, but I told him it was travel ball he was doing not Little League.  

Opposing Manager agreed with me that there was no out, and umpire said fine.  The issue was dropped without an out (so I thought) and so the scoreboard showed.  Next batter comes up with what everyone on the field believes is one out and flies into a F9 with my runner at 1B.  Umpire calls out on fly, "that's game".  Both teams equally confused.

Discussion ensues, and I am informed that he told the scorekeeper without either manager knowing that he ruled it an out and did not inform the players on the field.  Now that another pitch happened he says I cannot protest.  My players are beyond done with this umpire, and this game, as he was squeezing the strike zone (belt to knees) the entire game. (Not first game with him.)   I elected not to protest and teach my players a lesson about life because we were not going to come back to win that game.  I was on my 5th pitcher with a game on Monday and Wednesday to follow.

After the game I am trying to lineup to shake players and coaches hands and the umpire jumps in line in my face.  I kept backing up and told him he was wrong and we would discuss it later.  He said he was getting his book and he will "show me".  After I saw him at his car going through the book I asked him what he found.  He said he doesn't have time.

I am nice to all umpires, especially since I've been working the AA games.  In fact I don't call them blue, or any other weird names, I call them Mr. Umpire to get their attention.   I've already informed the UIC.  This is not the first problem I've had with this guy. All Managers have expressed to the board not to use him because he is even confrontational with the players.

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Normally I'd expect 'rogue ump' issue to be handled by the umpire coordinator for the league.
If the managers have a history of specific and legitimate complaints, and these issues haven't improved over time after feedback from the ump coordinator / UIC, this ump should be told its time to go ump elsewhere.
This relies on having an ump coordinator willing to act though.
The 'other side of the coin' is that everyone makes mistakes - but its bizarre for an ump to secretly override the agreement of the managers around a LL rule!

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

If, as you say, "all" the Managers have a problem with this ump then obviously something needs to be done.

If he's a paid ump just tell the Association you don't want him assigned to your games anymore.

If he's a Volunteer then it's up to your UIC to resolve the problem.
If he can work with the guy and fix the issues great, if not, time to say "thank you" and cut the guy loose.

#8 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

He's paid.  They get the umpires through our league umpire coordinator and a UIC (different this year then years passed).

Our issues are documented by all managers and brought to the league through our game reports.   In fact it was several other Managers (not me) that started the drive (documented) to not have him umpire any of the games. I simply supported their position, with my documented complaints.  So far nothing has been done yet. 

I am typically not a complainer, especially about officials.  I instill in my players respect for the officials, and most of the time everything is great.  We have several fantastic umpires that love the game, and the players.  You can see it when they arrive, and the players love them.  When the game is over everyone is cheering the game (unaware of the officiating).  When this other umpire arrives he appears angry, and you hear both teams go "uggghhh".  After the game you hear both sides complaining about the officiating rather than talking about the playing (therefore very aware of the officiating).

I've already told them I don't want him assign to my games.  No change.

#9 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

Status quo is very powerful, in little league especially.
Game reports get 'filed' and some manager is always upset with an ump on some call.
To defeat status quo, how about all managers meeting and discussing with UIC and player agent in person?
If the complaints are really focused on a single ump, the UIC and PA should notice and act.
Else easy to do nothing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users