#21 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:40 AM

One more:
Catchers not wearing a helmet, face mask and dangling throat guard during pre-game infield practice.
Especially frustrating are the ones that carry the equipment out with them and then lay it on the ground next to home plate!
  • rsnyder6 and Plesh like this

#22 concerned

concerned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

Controlling players in the dugout is critical.
So, lets say you have 12 kids and a manager and two coaches at the game.
When you are on defense you have 3 players and 3 adults in the dugout.
When you are on offense you have 8-11 players and 1 adult in the dugout.

For a few years now I have sent a proposal to Williamsport to allow the Team Parent (Team Mom/Team Dad) to be in the dugout to help control the players, at least you'd have 2 adults in the dugout when you are on offense.
The Manager or one of the coaches must be in the dugout at all times, you can't just have the Team Parent alone in the dugout.

Basically having three coaches in the dugout works well when the team is on defense.

If a team has players who theoretically fall into the "Special Needs", Autism Spectrum Disorder, or ADD/ADHD, the dugout can be extremely challenging when the team is on offense 8-11 players and 1 adult. Children who fall into the categories listed above can have difficulties with their emotional regulation, reading social cues or other sensory processing delays.

"Emotional Regulation refers a child’s ability to initiate, inhibit, and regulate one’s state or behavior in a particular situation. Children may be unaware of their own emotional regulation or not have the proper strategies to cope. A few ideas are using visual charts to increase the awareness of one’s emotions and discuss strategies for each state. Preventative measures such as taking deep breaths, using a fidget toy to release physical energy, talking to a friend or mentor, etc. could be beneficial solutions to reducing periods of intensified emotions."

A second adult needs to be present and has the sole responsibility of the emotional welfare of the players and should be able to redirect the players when necessary.

#23 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

Do you guys not provide catcher's gear with danglers?

We rarely have that issue come up.

Lot of parents buy their kids personal gear. Hard to keep up sometimes.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#24 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

concerned; luckily for me my wife was one of my coaches for a number of years.
She's a special-ed teacher/administrator and specializes with children with autism.

I think that helps her put up with me !!!
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#25 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

No on-deck allowed, but I still occasionally see kids swinging outside the dugout area off the field.
Some have weighted donuts.

#26 concerned

concerned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:41 PM

Lou

Because I challenged our DA and Regional Directors and brought several concerns to International, I have lost my member in good standing.
It's the bittersweet dilemna - since I am no longer member in good standing, I no longer feel the desire to work with in the local-DA-Region-International.
Unfortunately, my kids are on the spectrum, but I am unable to assist in the dugout to redirect their emotions.

#27 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:29 AM

I have been in and out of favor with the Region/Williamsport more times than I can count, mostly because I speak my mind and don't just tell them what they want to hear.
If I see something they do that I don't agree with I let them know about it and why I don't agree with it.
If/when they ask me about something I give them my honest opinion, I'm generally not one to sugar coat things.

Right now I'm in favor because I'm doing some work for them.
I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other way one of these days. 😀

By the way, what caused your league to removed you as a "member in good standing", was there a hearing/BOD vote on it?

#28 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:38 AM

@Concerned....Was it the local league that removed your status of "member in good standing"?

#29 concerned

concerned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

Before the Regular Season started, a Special Board of Directors meeting was called by the Local Board President with the assistance of our DA, due to my unintentional formal allegations of the Board President and other Board member were not in compliance with the Little League International Rules.  As the DA clearly stated in an email, the purpose was to discuss my allegations.  

Knowing the potential outcome of this meeting, I contacted the Regional Office via email clearly stating my concerns that local Board did not act completely in compliance with Little League International.  Although I had resigned from the Board after that meeting, I continued to volunteer as Team Parent, Dugout Assistant Coach, Score Keeper, and assisted with assembling the District Tournament Books.

My Member-Good-Standing was revoked during the Fall Season possibly under the direction of the DA and Region Office - no notification, no board vote.  When I asked to be reinstated, the answer was no. Ironically, I left the board challenging the local Board did not act in compliance with Little League International.  I lost my Member in Good Standing clearly not in compliance with their own local Constitution.

My primary focus is the safety and wellness of our players.  My experience serving on numerous youth softball and baseball boards with other volunteer Leadership Roles, provides essential experience and understanding the importance of following organizational rules.  

#30 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

In my opunion LL and local organizations need to be more concerned about the unpredictable environmentally uncontrollable medical situations which could lead to life threatening conditions

Examples:
Bee Sting Allergies
Heat Exhaustion
Anaphylaxis Shock
Concussion
Seizures

Many can recognize the dangers of on deck batters taKing their practice swings. Otherso can understand some kids have life threatening allergies to peanuts.

I am not convinced that precautions have been taken to educated their volunteers to understand the warning signs of the conditions above.

One incident - no redos. One life changing event.

#31 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:29 AM

Would you give a kid Epinephrine if his parents weren't around? Good Samaritan laws are very different from state to state.

Do any leagues have an EpiPen on site?.....Me, I don't care what local laws are, I'll do what ever I feel is right.

I've been working on an AED for close to two years, just got one at our fields last week...First one in youth sports in my county!

#32 concerned

concerned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

As a special needs teacher, Lou's wife may be able to assist in this discussion by providing insight from a school's perspective.  It's my understanding that certain school administrators and health care providers are trained in the use of epi-pens.

I would not recommend a local league having an epi-pen onsite.  The best course of treatment is to educate their volunteers to recognize the early signs of a serious condition, call 911  and begin to administer aid until the paramedics arrive. If the injured player/parent cannot be safely moved, then the players and spectators need to be moved.  Staying calm until help arrives helps to maintain control of the situation.

If a player has a medical condition which requires life saving treatment such as an epi-pen, Diastat (treatment for seizures), or other medications or rescue inhalers (asthma), a parent should always be near to administer this medication.  

Since most volunteers have never been placed into a situation that requires emergency first aid, I believe it is the local  organization's responsibility to develop emergency plans to prepare the coaches.  Time is key.  

• rsnyder6 likes this

#33 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

Every parent/guardian is required to complete a Medical Release Form for their child(ren).
They need to identify any of theses types of conditions so that the league/manager/coaches are aware of the situation.
The manager/coaches should have a discussion with the parent/guardian to learn about the condition and warning signs.
I had a number of such conversations when I managed.
Pre-planning is the key.

As for my wife/school, it is my understanding that the school nurse is trained to handle these situations. If a situation occurs in the classroom the nurse is called. The office is notified and a call is made to 911 for the EMTs.

#34 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:23 PM

Making plans for next year. (Yes, a number of months away for us, but this is a good time to go over things.)

Reading through this thread, I read about bats in/out of the dugout. That some keep them outside of the dugout.

My questions. We have been trying letting PW and Rookies leave the bats outside of the dugouts. If we put back-racks on the fence outside of the dugout, is that a safety hazard? More concern for the older divisions. 

Right now they lean the bats against the fence, which I am not comfortable with, (particularly as they sometimes just end up in a pile). It does keep them from being swung in the dugout, but I don't want to trade one hazard for another. 

We don't have a protected area for the bats as some leagues do. 

So bat racks on the outside of the dugout or not?

#35 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:53 AM

All equipment should be inside the dugout.
If you put the bat racks on the outside what happens when a thrown ball hits them?
If the bats are leaned up against the outside of the fence or lying on the ground what happens on a foul pop-up when a fielder trips over them?
Etc, etc, etc

As for swinging bats in the dugout, what is the adult (manager or coach) doing while this is going on?
Don't tell me, he's sitting on a bucket outside the dugout! :)
  • amutz likes this

#36 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

Yup, he is on his bucket.  :(

#37 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:54 AM

If he's on a bucket outside the dugout, dump him! :)
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#38 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

If there are two adult coaches you often wind up with one coaching third and one coaching first.  Important to insist on getting a third person to manage the dugout or put a kid coach at 1B.

#39 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:03 AM

At least one adult manager or coach must be in the dugout, period!
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users