38 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

Just curious what leagues have as the most common violations that are safety issues.

For us, every year every season, it is on deck batters, (or two or three or seven), and lack of supervision in the dugout.

Had a PeeWee, 4-5-6yo coach turn to me yesterday and say "This league doesn't allow on deck batters?" I know some leagues allow almost everything, (I seen some crazy things in travel games), but does any league allow on deck 4YO?  :mellow: 

And I have walked by a field with seven(!) coaches lined up on the fence with their backs to the dugout, and players throwing and batting in the dugout. (Yea, that didn't last long.) :angry:

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Never had much of an issue with on-deck batters but we always had a few managers/coaches who liked to sit outside the dugout on buckets.
Also always seemed to have a few managers/coaches that liked to warm up pitchers.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:57 PM

We have to remind coaches about the 'no on-deck batter' at least once a year, and we also have managers sitting outside the dugout on a bucket now and then.
We also have to remind catchers to wear throat-guards somewhat regularly.

That said, actual injuries I've see came from none of these.
They were from on-field collisions between fielders, slips and falls on a wet field, or kid getting hit by a ball during a warmup or practice drill.

If I had one 'druther' it would be to mandate concussion protocol training for all managers and coaches.

#4 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:50 AM

I can sometimes tell mangers about no on deck batters, walk around the park, and come back and see it happing again.

A real problem with the ages without umpires. You can sit and watch the game and have to mention it every inning. (Those mangers are not invited back.)

We had a PeeWee get hit in the head, (taken to the hospital, but it was not serious). I was in the complex, at the far side, but the manger was not watching the players. He was not ignoring the rule, but not being responsible and enforcing it.

Just seems a waste of time and energy.

I was just curious what other leagues saw.

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

Girls like to wear their helmet too high on their forehead....also taking the helmet off before entering the dugout.

I'm a bucket sitter, but we have a screen in front of me and I don't sit still so I'm never on the bucket more than a minute or two.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#6 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

Bats in the dugout is the most common and the most dangerous.
We've had some injuries from that.
Also, in NJ, all youth sports coaches must take an online concussion course with certification.

We've played a week of games already and most of these issues I've been seeing, so I sent this email to all managers yesterday:
  • There must be at least one adult coach in the dugout at all times. It doesn't matter if you are by yourself. Use the kids as base coaches (with helmets). They love that.
  • All coaches must remain in the dugout unless they are base coaches (or helping on the field in Rookies & below). I've seen too many people outside the dugout and in foul territory in front of the fence during play. Cannot happen at the upper levels.
  • There is no on-deck circle in LL baseball & softball (Majors & below). That means the only kid with a bat in their hands should be in the batter's box. I don't want to see the next 3 batters with bats in their hands waiting at the edge of the dugout. I can't emphasize this enough.
  • Coach's cannot warm-up pitchers at any point before or during a game. Only a player can. Doesn't matter if it's before the game, in between innings, or down the line in the outfield grass during an inning. If your catcher is still putting their gear on in between innings, have one of your bench players grab the mask and glove to warm-up your pitcher and keep the game moving.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

Controlling players in the dugout is critical.
So, lets say you have 12 kids and a manager and two coaches at the game.
When you are on defense you have 3 players and 3 adults in the dugout.
When you are on offense you have 8-11 players and 1 adult in the dugout.

For a few years now I have sent a proposal to Williamsport to allow the Team Parent (Team Mom/Team Dad) to be in the dugout to help control the players, at least you'd have 2 adults in the dugout when you are on offense.
The Manager or one of the coaches must be in the dugout at all times, you can't just have the Team Parent alone in the dugout.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#8 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

Agreed. Dugouts are rowdy places. You have a lot of kids in a small area, chanting, yelling, talking about nonsense, not to mention there is always equipment all over the place.

Nothing is worse than when you're the 3rd base coach, you look across the field and see your team unfocused, fooling around, bats in hand, etc. in the dugout and your coach isn't doing anything.

Last year I managed by myself for Minors so I had 2 kids as base coaches for every inning of every game. It's great. They love it. I managed the dugout and they took care of the bases.

This year I have two good coaches so I let them do the bases. It's more important for me to manage the dugout than it is to be a base coach at that level.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#9 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

Not that it mattered, but I was against going to two adult bases coaches!
To me teaching some of the better players to coach a base helped them learn more about the game.
Plus, as you acknowledged, it resulted in more adults in the dugout.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#10 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

I was (am) against it as well. The kids really take on a mini-leadership role out there and it keeps them engaged, which as we all know with today's youth, is getting harder and harder. Good learning experience IMO.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#11 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

My team rule is no bats in dugout period.  players are to put bats in on deck area (we do not use, but we have a patch behind the fence outside the dugout) as they arrive.  

NOTHING GOOD can come from a bat in a dugout.  no reason to even have bats in dugouts.

I am little OCD on swinging bats, because as a kid (I would say 6 or 7) I got clocked in the head pretty badly when I was at one of my older sisters high school softball practice as a child (parents had had errands to run, sis was in charge of me).  coach was hitting fly balls to outfielders, I decided to be helpful and collect the balls as the OF threw them in.  got too close, got in way of full on swing, no helmet, WHAM, out cold! I woke up flat on back looking up at entire team around me.  hospitalized for about a week, ruptured ear drum, severe concussion (I was not allowed to walk even to the BR for 4-5 days).

• rsnyder6 likes this

#12 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

Good points about bats and the risks.  We put basic bat racks in our dugouts to hang the bats from. Under $20.  It helped more than I thought it would - kids put the bats in the rack and leave them until they go to bat.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#13 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

Good points about bats and the risks.  We put basic bat racks in our dugouts to hang the bats from. Under $20.  It helped more than I thought it would - kids put the bats in the rack and leave them until they go to bat.

I would suggest moving bat racks to outside of dugout, that is what we have, right by the entrance/exit to the dugout.  All it takes is one kid to grab one while coach is busy with something else.  ours are just about 4 or 5 inch pvc pipe, with cutouts for the bats (hole drilled through two sides little smaller than knobs, then cut away one one side of holes to slide handle in.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#14 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:59 PM

When i was involved at the local league level I had laminated signs at our field that we hung in the dugout area that read something like:

When visiting our fields please keep in mind the following Little League safety rules:

No on deck batter

Catchers must wear dangling throat guards

Coaches cannot warm up pitchers.

We cited the rule number as well and i believe addressed the three most abused LL safety rules 

#15 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:54 AM

Bats in the dugout is the most common and the most dangerous.
We've had some injuries from that.
Also, in NJ, all youth sports coaches must take an online concussion course with certification.

We've played a week of games already and most of these issues I've been seeing, so I sent this email to all managers yesterday:

• There must be at least one adult coach in the dugout at all times. It doesn't matter if you are by yourself. Use the kids as base coaches (with helmets). They love that.
  • All coaches must remain in the dugout unless they are base coaches (or helping on the field in Rookies & below). I've seen too many people outside the dugout and in foul territory in front of the fence during play. Cannot happen at the upper levels.
  • There is no on-deck circle in LL baseball & softball (Majors & below). That means the only kid with a bat in their hands should be in the batter's box. I don't want to see the next 3 batters with bats in their hands waiting at the edge of the dugout. I can't emphasize this enough.
  • Coach's cannot warm-up pitchers at any point before or during a game. Only a player can. Doesn't matter if it's before the game, in between innings, or down the line in the outfield grass during an inning. If your catcher is still putting their gear on in between innings, have one of your bench players grab the mask and glove to warm-up your pitcher and keep the game moving.

Sounds just like our league.

Last we we mandated that coaches on the field (i.e. base coaches) must wear league supplied helmets (for the hard ball divisions).

Had to chase at least one into the dugout in every game. I can't get how they can possibly think that base coaches must wear helmets, but the guy hanging out on the fence chatting with parents and not watching the game, who isn't wearing a helmut because they only get two, is somehow exempt.

Also wonder how they think they can control their dugout down the first base line while coaching third base. :) 

#16 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:59 AM

This year I have two good coaches so I let them do the bases. It's more important for me to manage the dugout than it is to be a base coach at that level.

Yes, I never sought the "glory" of base coaching in Little League. It cracks me up sometimes how seriously some dads, (and it is always a dad) take it. I want to be in the dugout talking with my players and keeping the book. I want to help them watch the game, see what is going on, be more successful and have more fun.

#17 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:04 AM

My team rule is no bats in dugout period. players are to put bats in on deck area (we do not use, but we have a patch behind the fence outside the dugout) as they arrive.

We are trying to figure out what works with Rookies, (7-8).

In PeeWee we let them keep the bats outside the dugout, but they are on the field. That changed after I coached that age. It doesn't seem much of a hazard.

In Minors bats are supposed to be on the bat rack.

Some of the Rookie coaches have asked to have the bats outside the dugout, but again then they are laying on the field, on the side next to the fence, but on the field. I don't care for that, but wonder if that is the place with the lesser risk.

#18 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

All of our dugouts have an uncovered area just outside of them, but still out of play. The equipment bags, helmets, bat racks, ball buckets, etc. all go there.
I only let the next two batters stand out there because otherwise it's chaos when kids are piling up in the entrance/ exit of a dugout. Plus it keeps the bats separated from the masses.

#19 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

On deck batters swinging bats.

Danglers.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#20 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

Do you guys not provide catcher's gear with danglers?

We rarely have that issue come up.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gator Y