Possibilities of New Teenage Rollout

8 replies to this topic

#1 B_Hanlon

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

After giving this some thought here is what I would propose.....

For reference from 2015:

Regionals      World Series

JLBB                 8/5 - 8/12          8/16 - 8/23

SLBB               7/24 - 7/21          8/2 -   8/8      

BLBB               7/19 - 7/25         7/28 -  8/4              

Each World Series consists of 10 teams (5 U.S. / 5 International)

All of this X2 to include softball 

Little League  fully covers all travel, meal-related expenses, and lodging for all teams participating in each of our nine World Series events. Totaling nearly 100 teams annually, these expenses were more than $2,615,000 in 2015. This includes travel for all international teams to attend each World Series tournament held in August in the United States. 

Volunteer umpires that travel to the World Series levels of tournament play at all nine World Series also receive a stipend to offset their travel expenses. Each umpire receives a stipend of $400. 

I would consider the following:

Senior League...................13 through 16

Big League........................16 through 19

Eliminate Juniors and continue to push for Intermediate participation for the still blooming 13's

Lengthen the season and push back tournament dates 

Stop all play at regional level for everyone except 11/12's and Intermediates

Allocate a portion of the current travel expenses to the Regionals, who really struggle to pull these tournaments off.

Allocate the rest to reduce the $200 tournament entry fee back down.

I am a firm believer that high school kids should still be able to participate in a full recreational baseball season, This gives them 7 weeks to get in a nice season and a District Tournament.  It should increase participation at all levels with some consistency of season. 

The dilemma would be what do you do with the warmer climate teams and kids ready and willing to participate prior to the schools releasing players. 

#2 rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

13 through 16 would be pretty tough on 13 year olds playing on the 90' field for the first time.

Sure some kids play on 90' in school ball for 7th grade (12) on, but your weaker 13 have enough trouble with 13-14, 15 &16 would scare them off even further.

#3 B_Hanlon

• Administrators
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

I am sure that the motivation on the hill behind eliminating a division is part of their campaign to build Intermediate 50/70. That way the weaker 13's have a venue and the strong 13's can option to 50/70 or 60/90.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

As of today, LL stops at age 18.
So, I would hope they would go with something like this:
Intermediate (50/70): 11-13
Juniors: 13-15
Seniors: 16-18

If LL approves expanding to 19 year olds, make Seniors 16-19.
  • amutz, rsnyder6 and Plesh like this

#5 B_Hanlon

• Administrators
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

Not sure what happened, but for some reason 19's are off the table.
If you recall in the fall they had this on the regional roundtable agenda.
By the time the actual roundtable topics came out this was left off the agenda.
Last week I applied for a waiver for 19's to participate in Big League and it was denied.

#6 Jeremy

• Administrators
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

Insurance reasons would be my guess....We can't find insurance that will let 17 year olds play in adult slow pitch....My 17 year old daughter will be going off to college before she hits 18 at the end of this summer, I would have loved my wife and two of my daughters all on the same team this summer.

I know DiMaggio lets 19s play.

#7 rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

I don't know what it looks like in the rest of the country, but 50-70 has stalled around here.

I had the feeling they would like to make it the default main league, eventually replacing Majors, but I don't know if that is going to happen. While I like the idea, I'm not sure it is working.

The few leagues that went to 50-70 went pretty quickly, some just ending their Majors program. Others kept their Majors, but basically made 50/70 a 13 yr Division. We have talked about it every year, but a lot of people don't want to lose either Majors or Juniors. If this were a time of expansion rather than contraction, things might be different.

The other issue is the field. Some leagues ending Majors were able to convert fields fairly easily. Others just don't have room/money. 13 year olds playing on 200 ft fields becomes a problem. The other solution is a 90' flat bald field, which you can use for a lot. (One I saw had four pitching rubbers on it.) But there are a lot less 90' fields around, and with demand from adult leagues, field time can be harder to get.

I had hope for 50-70, (though I have always argued 51-75 is better), but I know of no league around here that is planning on adding that at the moment. (We have a district meeting next week, it will be interesting to hear what folks are planing, though the talk seems to be mostly about mergers.

On a positive note, with a big push by our league in the school districts, we have the largest PeeWee group we have had in years. We did lose some kids to a local "Sports League" which does a one game Sunday 4-5-6 division, and one game Saturday 7-8 division. Used to be everyone wanted more games, this year some parents were asking for fewer. But that's another topic.

#8 Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

In our district last year there were only a handful of leagues that did 50/70 and only 3 entered tournament teams. That's pretty typical in this area.

We usually lose at least 50% of the kids when they turn 13 so we just don't have enough kids to play Majors, Intermediate, & Juniors/Seniors.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#9 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

Elimination only received 51% approval vote from the DAs.
Nothing for this year but I do hope it is considered going forward.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users