6 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

I read though the old topics that mentioned this subject, and to refresh and get and idea from folks...

Many years ago we went from one to three charters. We were up to 1800-2000 members at out peak. Even five years ago, we still had 10 major teams win the largest (by teams) charter. 

We are down to about 500+ players in all three charters. Worse, one charter only has 60 something players. (This is 4-Juniors, though very few Juniors.) Another is about twice that. This year we may have only seven teams total in Majors (11,12), for all charters, (Majors will be the smallest division). (We did do a big push this year for new players, and PeeWee is now our largest division by a little.)

We'd really like to combine charters, but keep hearing not a chance, and the DA doesn't seem receptive.

The one charter is the smallest population, about 32,000, (4500 students) but ⅔+ of the players. It is two school districts. While the population has increased, the number of children has been going down for 16 years. One of these districts peaked at 7500 students, but is now down to less than 2800.

The problem we see is that one of the other charter's population is 43,00, and the other 39,000. The later is the one that sends 60 players, with most playing other sports, or in the local church league. 

This gives us an overall population of 115,000, (about 18,000 K-12 kids).

Just the cost of the one charter to LL puts us way in the red for that charter. And picking teams is pretty hard. And all the other issues of having a small number of teams that combining would alleviate.

So, anybody have an idea if we have any hope in combining charters. I know no-one can guarantee either way, but is it even worth our time, (and pushing a reluctant DA)?

Thanks.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

I'd put your "history" together (probably in a lot more detail than what is described above) and I would submit a Request to combine leagues/charters.
Maybe you could keep the larger league/charter and just combine the other two or maybe you should ask to combine all three (your call).
From what you described, I would at least try!
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:29 AM

We tried very hard to combine into one charter again this season.  We have a population of 40,000 and were told we didn't stand a chance, but to submit anyway.  We submitted several times, but each time more information was asked for.  Finally, our DA didn't forward the request because of the confusion and we ended up running out of time.  I was told we would have been denied anyway.  It wasn't based on our 7 Majors teams, but based on the other local leagues in our district.  Our population is at least double that of the other leagues and the higher ups want to ensure we "don't become a juggernaut in the district."

So we have unbalanced numbers and talent in our split charter regular season teams and haven't even been able to compete in tournament play for at least 10 years.  Our 3 NL Majors teams have 9 or 10 players each and our 4 AL Majors teams all have 13 players.  With a couple on the AL waiting list. 

But we're getting closer and will resubmit next year.  We were actually approved to combine for a single season a couple times according to the Data Center.  Not sure how it worked back then, but I'm trying to find people who made that happen 10 or 12 years ago.  

#4 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

How do you divide up the kids in your charter? Address, last name, birthday?

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

LL needs to wake up and smell the coffee !!!

They did away with the "population" restriction years ago but every time a league wants a boundary change or wants to combine divisions they always ask about population - WHY?

Population shouldn't matter, what should matter is how many kids/teams a league has.

I know of a league that voluntarily split divisions when they reached 8 teams, 4 American and 4 National.

Well, years later their numbers were down and the only had 2 American and 2 National teams.

They asked to combine and were told no, in fact they were told they needed to continue to field 2 All Star Teams.

The result - the next year they left LL for Dixie!

• rsnyder6 likes this

#6 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

Locally over the last 3 years we've had dual charter leagues combine. They were down to less than 6 majors teams total.

I think once the first league was allowed to combine it paved the way for the second league to follow suit.

#7 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

We have used a method for years which is discouraged in the OM itself.  We divide based on date of birth.  Evens to National League, odds to American. Add to that using Draft Plan A for generations, it has combined to create an imbalance every third season or so as the pendulum swings back and forth from a glut of even birthdates to odd.

We finally voted to switch to Alternate Draft Plan B, so we got to even out the teams a little.  But we didn't get a reply on a request to use a Common Pool draft and start from scratch this year, so instead of a complete redraft and balance of the two charters, any player 9 and older who had already been selected to NL or AL had to stay there. 

This year is the American League's turn to dominate.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users