5 replies to this topic

#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

Last week, LL posted a new "News" article on their Website: "Your Voice: Little League Tryouts, Registration and the Draft".

It's basically a series of Questions and Answers for Parents.

So, here is my question to LL, does anyone actually READ/APPROVE this stuff BEFORE it gets Posted on the LL Website?

Why do I say that, well, the 3rd question in the article is about a parent of two sons who attended tryouts but the parent has not heard anything about what team(s) her sons are on.  The parent asks who should be contacted to find out what team(s) the sons are on.

The answer given is that AFTER Tryouts the president appoints and the BOD approves the managers at the next BOD Meeting.

The mangers then draft the teams and then the managers contact their players.

SAY WHAT!!!

Hey Williamsport, in case you didn't know, managers are appointed BEFORE Tryouts so they can attend the Tryouts to figure out who they want to draft on their team. 

Sorry Janitor, you blew this one.

=============================================================================

(needless to say I sent an e:Mail up to Williamsport and hopefully it will get revised/corrected)

#2 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

I read that the other day... yep, it caught my eye.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

But some leagues use evaluators that aren't made up of managers....managers at tryouts is up to the local league.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

Pardon my French but not having managers at tryouts is "crazy"!
How does a manager draft a team without seeing the players?

I can understand using "evaluators" to rate the managers kids but "to me" managers rate the kids at tryouts so they can figure out who they want to draft.

I've been involved with a lot of leagues and every one of them had managers present at tryouts.
As stated in "A Year in the Life ...", managers are informed that attendance at tryouts is mandatory!

========================
So, a question to all, do the managers in your league attend tryouts?
If not, how are your team's drafted?
  • amutz likes this

#5 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:03 PM

All the managers in our league attended try-outs, in addition we had several other volunteers do a general evaluation and then we slapped everything together.

The goal was that during the draft the manager relied on his evaluation, however, he also had some independent input to guide him as well. 

#6 Guest_Supreme_*

Guest_Supreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

We have used outside coaches to evaluate the players to insure that any kid forced to play back down due to not meeting basic skills scores was getting that news based on scores from someone other than a volunteer parent/coach.

Managers should absolutely observe for themselves and not use solely those scores to draft a team.

Not at Majors and above for sure.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users