#1 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Since we have so much daily discussion about the drafts, here are the 2016 Existing League Draft Plans and Player Options as described in the 2016 Rulebook for all to enjoy!

(If anyone wants certain sections or the whole thing I can email it to you). Send me a PM.

Methods for Existing Leagues

Of course, the Managers must keep in mind that they must not select more than eight players in a given age group. The team roster may be comprised of players of league age 9, 10, 11, and 12 unless modified by the local league according to options established by Little League. The local league may opt to allow only 10, 11, and 12, or 11- and 12-year-olds, to try out for the major division.

Secrecy: Players shall never be told the position in which they were drafted.

Bonus Picks: Each manager requiring eight or more players prior to the draft to complete the roster will be allowed one bonus pick at the completion of round four. If more than one manager is allowed bonus picks under this section, the order of rotation will be identical to that being followed in the draft.

NOTE: All other draft methods for local league Major Divisions, other than the three outlined below, must be approved by the Charter Committee prior to the draft.

Plan A - Conventional Draft Plan

When a thorough tryout program has been completed, the last-place team of the preceding season gets the first choice in every round of the draft, the next to last place team gets the second selection in every round and the remaining teams select in the reverse order of standing.

For the purpose of explanation, let us assume that there are four teams in the league.

First Round:

Fourth place manager selects the first player

Third place manager selects the second player

Second place manager selects the third player

First place manager selects the fourth player

Second Round:

Fourth place manager selects the fifth player

Third place manager selects the sixth player

Second place manager selects the seventh player

First place manager selects the eighth player, etc., until the rosters are completed.

Plan B - Redraft

This draft is actually in two separate parts. The first part includes those players who:

A. are returning from a Major team in the same division, AND; 

B. have registered for the current season.

This first draft of returning players must be completed before the second part of the draft, and all returning players who qualify under both conditions above must be drafted. Managers are not permitted to waive a draft choice.

The second part of the draft includes all players who are eligible for selection and have attended the required number of tryout sessions.

The draft rotation follows the reverse order of finish from the previous season, with the last place team's manager receiving the first pick, then the second-to-last place team, and so on, or the managers draw numbers to determine who will select the first player. For instance, in a four-team league, the manager of the last place team from the previous season makes the following player selections: 1st choice, 8th, 9th, 16th, 17th, 24th, 25th, etc.; The manager of the team that finished in third place makes the 2nd choice, 7th, 10th, 18th, 23rd, etc.; The manager of the team that finished second in the previous season makes the 3rd choice, 6th, 11th, 14th, 19th, 22nd; The manager of the team that finished in first place gets 4th choice, 5th, 12th, 13th, 20th, 21st, etc., until selections are completed.

NOTE 1: Because there are no players returning to a particular team, and because coaches cannot be named until the draft is completed, Options 2 and 4 (see "Options On Sons, Daughters And Siblings") do NOT apply when using this draft selection plan.

NOTE 2: When the second part of this draft method begins, the draft order starts with the team that is due to draft next after the completion of the first round.

Alternate Method for Plan B: Instead of having two separate drafts (one for returning players, and one for new players), a league may elect to conduct a regular draft wherein, if a number of returning Major League players has not been drafted by the time that same number of draft picks remain, those returning players must be the only players eligible from that point forward in the draft. (Example: With nine picks left in the draft, there are nine players who were Major League players in the previous season still not drafted for the current year. Those nine players become the only nine eligible players, and must be drafted.)

Plan C - Blind Draft Method

(Not worth showing) 

Options on Sons, Daughters and Siblings

An option is an agreement between a manager and the player agent covering a special condition. All options must be in writing (except No. 1) and be submitted to the player agent 48 hours prior to the draft. The options are as follows:

1. Brothers/Sisters in the Draft

When there are two or more siblings in the draft, and the first brother or sister is drafted by a manager, that manager automatically has an option to draft the other brother or sister on the next turn. If the manager does not exercise the option, the second sibling is then available to be drafted by any team. 

2. Brothers/Sisters of Players Currently on a Team

If desired, a manager shall submit an option in writing on a draftee if the player candidate's brother or sister is a member of that manager's team. If such an option is submitted, the manager MUST draft the sibling within the first three draft selections. 

3. Sons/Daughters of Managers

If a manager has sons and/or daughters eligible under Regulation II for the draft, and wishes to draft them, he/she must submit the option in writing. If so stated, the parent/manager is required to exercise the option at or before the close of the specific draft round, depending on the League Age of sons and/or daughters. Parent/manager option takes priority over any other option.

NOTE: These provisions also apply for managers having eligible brothers or sisters in the draft.

4. Sons/Daughters of Coaches

A NEW coach shall not be appointed nor approved until after the draft to avoid "Red Shirting" of players through selective coaching appointments.

A returning coach, through the manager, may exercise an option in writing to the player agent provided:

(A) The coach has served as a manager or coach in the league (at any level) for the past two years AND,

(B ) The coach is returning to the same Major League team as last year.

IMPORTANT: In order for a manager to exercise this option, the coach must qualify under BOTH conditions above.

5. Draft Rounds

If an option is submitted in writing for the son and/or daughter of a manager or coach, such candidate must be drafted in or before the following round:

(Sorry about the formatting. Not sure how to make a table, but it means DR5 LL 9-10, DR4, LL 11, etc.)

Draft Round

Little League

9, 10

Intermediate

Junior

Senior

14, 13

Big

16, 15

Softball

Draft Round

Little League

9, 10

Junior

Senior

14, 13

Big

16, 15, 14

6. Special Considerations Which Apply

( A ) If the manager so chooses, the option on son or daughter may be waived.

( B ) In the event the parent becomes a manager in another league, that parent may not claim the son or daughter.

( C ) Players are eligible only in the league whose boundaries include the parent/manager's home residence (as defined by Little League).

( D ) When a vacancy occurs during the playing season, the player selected to fill the vacancy becomes a permanent member of that team, governed by the same regulations as all members of the team selected in the draft.

( E ) All players, including sons/daughters of managers and coaches at the Minor League level, are subject to the draft.

( F ) Parents of Major League players who become managers or coaches after their children have been selected to a Major team may not automatically claim their sons or daughters, but may trade for them at the proper time, subject to requirements for trading in the next section.

(NOTE: THE LITTLE LEAGUE DEFINITION OF RESIDENCE IS LOCATED IN THE "LITTLE LEAGUE RESIDENCY AND SCHOOL ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS" SECTION OF THIS RULEBOOKS.)

• Jeremy and MyThreeSons like this

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

I don't think many people actually read/follow "6. Special Considerations Which Apply", especially item "C".
This is another one of those items I send to Williamsport "every year" !!!

According to "C", if I live in the boundaries of league A and my son plays in league B (school attendance, lives with his mother, whatever) and I volunteer and become a manager in League B I cannot claim my son as a Manager Option!
Do leagues actually not allow Manager Options for Managers based on where they live ?

I know of numerous cases where people volunteer for leagues within whose boundaries they do not live, if they are managers why shouldn't they be allowed Manager Options on their children?
I was a coach then manager and a BOD Member and subsequently President of a league for many years while not living within the league's boundaries.
People can volunteer anywhere they want.

Item "B" can also be troublesome.
If someone is a manger in two LLs (not sure it happens very often), he/she can lose his/her Manager Option - why?

=========
A few other minor comments:
1) The "Bonus Pick" section should go under Plan A, it really only applies there.
If you Re-Draft every year (Plan B, Alternate Plan B or Plan C) then every manager/team needs more than eight players!
2) I don't like the way Plan B is written.
It "implies" that returners do not need to attend tryouts.
To me, since they are available to be drafted by any manager/team they need to attend tryouts so that the "new managers" get a chance to see them.

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:44 PM

"According to "C", if I live in the boundaries of league A and my son plays in league B (school attendance, lives with his mother, whatever) and I volunteer and become a manager in League B I cannot claim my son as a Manager Option!"

Never even thought about this.
I know one guy who lives in
another league's boundaries, but use to manage in our league.
His son lived with the mother in our league.
Item "C" never came up.

​I can't see B coming up.
We do have managers from other leagues, but only in summer or fall seasons.

#4 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:00 AM

I'm sure C is just an oversight.

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:11 AM

As I said in my earlier post, I don't think most leagues (PAs) actually read #6 !

Maybe it is an "oversight" but it is "in the book" and if you know it's there is it OK to just ignore it?

If so, what else can be ignored because someone thinks it's an oversight?

There are several things in the book I'd like to ignore !!!   :)

• rsnyder6 likes this

#6 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:40 AM

Ask for a waiver or call WP for their interpretation and intention of the rule....never said ignore it.

Who knows, maybe LL has a reason for it...?

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

I didn't say to ignore it, I asked if it was OK to ignore it !!! ;)

As I said, I've sent in a "comment" on this to Williamsport every year for a few years now (including this year).
I have asked if it is correct the way it is written and if not to please delete it.

The only answer I have ever gotten on this is "we will take it under advisement".

It's in the book so, until it's either changed or deleted, I "assume" it is supposed to be followed (unless, as you said, someone were to ask for a Waiver) !!!
  • Jeremy likes this

#8 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

Does LL actually take anything under advisement from random people or do they just delete the emails?

#9 Guest_Lou Barbieri_*

Guest_Lou Barbieri_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

Plesh: I actually don't know the answer to your question.

I'm not sure how many e:Mails/suggestions LL gets.

That said, after receipt of the "We will take it under advisement" reply, I have gotten numerous "follow-up" e:Mails and a number of phone calls on things I have sent up there (probably because I know a lot of the people in Williamsport).

In some cases, all I ever got was the "We will take it under advisement" response.

I always get a response to e:Mails I send to the Region (I sent one this morning and already got a reply).

I would hope that would be the case for everyone.

#10 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

I wonder if "C" is there to discourage recruiting dad to get the kid - an extension of the basic draft rule that prevents the same internally.

#11 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

As I said above, I don't think most people look at Item 6!

I sent an e:Mail to all 5 Regions with the following:

1) Mom and Dad are divorced.  Mom lives in the boundaries of League A with their 12 year old son. Dad lives in the boundaries of League B.  Dad volunteers in League B and gets appointed/approved to be a manager of a major team. Is Dad able to take a Manager's Option on his 12 year old son?

2) Mr. Smith volunteers in two leagues.  He is appointed/approved to be a manager of a major team in League A and also appointed/approved to be a minor manager in League B.  Mr. Smith's son is 12 and plays in League A. Is Mr. Smith able to take a Manager's Option on his 12 year old son?

I've gotten three responses so far:

1) all three said Yes

2) two said Yes and one said you cannot be a manager in two different leagues!

#12 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:03 AM

"must not select more than eight players in a given age group."

We are Majors (11-12). 

I understand you cannot have over eight 12 year olds. 

But does that also mean you cannot have more than eight 11 year olds?

#13 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

Does that mean you can't have more than eight 11 year olds?

Yes (2016 Rulebook, top of page 165).

This is especially critical if you use Plan A.
Let's say you let a team have nine or ten 11 year olds this season.
What are you going to do next year when they all come back next season and now you have more than eight returning 12 year olds on the team?

#14 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

So now I have a question.

As of today we have the following age breakdowns for our majors team eligible players.

LA12 : 6 Expecting around 10
LA11: 17. Potentially over 28 if all our players return.
LA10: 8. Expecting another 3-4

Had some discussions last night about how many majors teams we should be prepared for. We use Alt Plan B. And have no returning majors LA11s.

Option 1: by rule only NEED to field 1 team if we have only 8 LA12s. That would be a disservice to strong 11s. Not gonna happen.

Option 2: we have 2 teams. All the 12s and balance are 11s. Potential for the more than 8 LA11s on a team. Will need a waiver. Alt plan B so shouldn't be a problem.

Option 3: expand to 3 teams. All the 12s most of the 11s and balance filled by 10s. Waiver to allow more than 8 of a given LA. Potential waiver to allow rosters of 11.

Next season we could be faced with having to field at least 3 potentially 4 teams.

My thoughts are to go to 3 Now and get as many deserving girls majors experience.

What would you do of you have more than 24 but less than 36 majors players? A distinct possibility. Waiver to allow 3 rosters of 11? Go with larger 14 player rosters? (Yuck). I'd hate to keep those 6-8 deserving players down.

#15 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:10 AM

You've got 31 and by what you "project" you could end up with 40 or more, I'd go with 3 teams.

Have you contacted the prospective returners who have not yet registered?
If not, I'd start there.

Good Luck

#16 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

I would definitely go with 3 teams and get a waiver for 11 players on a team (we get it every year with no issues).

• amutz likes this

#17 Guest_dlhorst_*

Guest_dlhorst_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

Our league uses Plan B.

If you draft a sibling in the 1st part of the draft (returning players) when do you draft the sibling who is not a returning player?

Also, are there any alternatives to the 2 part draft that would make it impossible for the same team to get the 1st pick of the 1st draft and the 1st pick of the 2nd draft?

Seems to hurt the parity of the league if that happens...

#18 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

Here is the answer to the first part of your question:

1. Brothers/Sisters in the Draft 

When there are two or more siblings in the draft, and the first brother or sister is drafted by a manager, that manager automatically has an option to draft the other brother or sister on the next turn. If the manager does not exercise the option, the second sibling is then available to be drafted by any team.

Looks like in the following round in the "returners draft", even if they aren't a returner.

For the second part:

NOTE 2: When the second part of this draft method begins, the draft order starts with the team that is due to draft next after the completion of the first round.

Nothing else I can find that would avoid the situation you described. I agree doesn't really help overall parity. Just another reason leagues should be using Alt Plan B, instead of regular Plan B.

#19 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

My advice would be to use Alternate Plan B, it solves all of the questions/problems you have.

So, sticking with Plan B:
In my opinion, if you draft a player during part 1 (returning player) and he/she has a sibling, you would need to take the sibling as your first pick in part 2 of the draft (since you can't take the "new player" sibling in part 1 of the draft because part 1 is for returning players).
All returners must be taken before any new players can be drafted.

As for the same team getting the first pick in the first part or the draft and also the first pick in the second part of the draft that sort of depends on how you read/interpret Plan B Note 2!

That is, Plan B NOTE 2 states: When the second part of this draft method begins, the draft order starts with the team that is due to draft next after completion of the first round.
It says "first round" not "first part".
Whether this is an oversight/typo is subject to conjecture.

I know of leagues say if you have 4 teams and the draft is 1,2,3,4 then 4,3,2,1, then round 1 of part 1 starts with team 1 but when you get to part 2 of the draft round 1 of part 2 starts with team 4 (the team due to draft next after the completion of the first round).
That way, team 1 gets the best returner and team 4 gets the best new player.
Sort of balances out the picks.

I know of other leagues that just start part 2 where they left off with part 1 based on the description of the serpentine order which says you use the order "until all selections are completed" so they interpret the "first round" to mean the "first part" of the draft.
So, if the last round of part 1 ended as 4,3,2 then team 1 (who drafted first in part 1) would also get the first TWO new player picks.
That could easily result in team imbalance.

So, once again, if you use Alternate Plan B all of this is mute since the manager can pick whoever he/she wants with each pick and you just have to make sure all the returners get drafted.
Much better Plan for balancing teams.

• Plesh likes this

#20 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

OK, not sure if everyone would agree with this but this is an excerpt from the proposed re-write of Plan B I just sent to Williamsport:

The draft rotation for part 2 of the draft is the reverse of part 1.
This ensures that the same team does not get the first pick in both parts of the draft.
So, for instance, in a four team league, the draft order in part 1 is 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1,2,... while the draft order in part 2 is 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4,3,...
This order continues until all rosters are full.

Delete NOTE 2.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Draft, Options, Sons, Daughters, Siblings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users