67 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

I'll just leave this here and let it percolate and marinate...

http://www.littlelea...6/rr-agenda.pdf

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'm hoping LL sends these out via e:Mail to all DAs tether than just have a link to them on the Roundtable Registration page.

I would think that most DAs that have already registered aren't going back to the Registration Page to see if there is anything new on there!

As for the Items on the agenda, I'm OK with a lot of them (a few I could take or leave).

Not sure what's pushing eliminating the on deck circle in the older divisions, have there been injuries, is it a safety issue?

Same goes for the fake bunt/hit away, has this been an injury issue?
Just teach the kids how to defend it, don't charge the plate just because the batter shows bunt.

Not sure what's pushing expanding the ages in 9-10, 10-11 and 11-12 Tournament Teams to go to 3 year groups.
I'm not a big fan of age 8 players in The Tournament all though I would think that very few 8s would make the 9-10 teams anyway.
Also doubt many 10s would make the 11-12 teams.

Don't like the items on removing the restrictions on when you can announce the Tournament Teams and when you can start tryouts/practices.

I think this gives an advantage to warm weather leagues.

I would just change it from June 15 to June 1 or June 3, whatever.

Most of the Proposed Agenda Items I submitted didn't make it - what a surprise !

#3 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

I'm not sure I like:

Participating in more than one Division

Expanding Tournament ages to a 3 year window

Removing the June announcement date.

Seems like Little league is really looking to be travel ball

#4 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

I'm not sure I like:

Participating in more than one Division

Expanding Tournament ages to a 3 year window

Removing the June announcement date.

Seems like Little league is really looking to be travel ball

I'll preface that I didn't read the link but just the comments above but regarding Travel Ball, it really has to compete with TB at least around here because there is a travel ball team for everyone and I do mean EVERY one

#5 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

A few early reactions on my end...

On-deck in the other levels... equates to talking out of both sides of our mouth. We want to talk about the future of the teen baseball program and we entertained the notion of allowing 19s in Big League to compete with Legion and Babe Ruth, but we are going to take out the on-deck circle. Ironicallly, with the way it is written, we would still have an on-deck circle in Intermediate Baseball, however... #sigh.

Fake bunt... how about if we establish a rule on how many times we can vote down a proposal before it gets a moratorium? It is in a better form than the last one (when it was a ban all the way up to the BIG LEAGUE level), but I still won't support it. And this will be the fifth time, I believe.

Same goes for one foot out of the box. We squashed this in 2014, why do we have to do it again? Do we have four-hour games going on somewhere because Johnny has a six-minute ritual before every pitch??? This is called game management by the umpire. We don't need a rule to mandate it. If you are working Little League games where more than half are taking over two hours, you (as the umpire) are the problem. Now, if someone wants to come to me and say "we want to keep the teen divisions consistent with Fed and NCAA", I might entertain the rule for the teen divisions. But I will not subject a 10-year-old to stepping out of the box rules. That's ridiculous.

Dual-rostering and the removal of June 15... the devil is in the details. IF we do it the right way, they can both be very beneficial. Our good friend Brian Nilson pointed out a very important piece to the June 15 item when he and I were having a sidebar this week: what is going to be the definition of determining eligibility? Because if the 60% rule is still part of that, it becomes a very complicated matter of when those kids become eligible. If it is not, then DAs can start signing affidavits in January (or whenever LL releases the affidavit for that season) and teams can begin playing in special games events very similar to travel ball-type teams. So, I think there is proposal is very skeleton and needs some work.

As for the dual rostering, I think this more of the "sudden rise in waivers" trend that make up some of these proposals. There was always that question of allowing someone to play juniors and seniors and could you relate it to pool play (which you couldn't do it without a waiver). The box was opened when we began dual rostering for majors / intermediate / juniors and in some divisions of softball. If it is done with certain constraints, it can be ok. For example, no, a kid in the minors shouldn't be dual-rostered to the majors UNLESS you are going to set age structures for minors / majors in the regulations. Then, you could allow a 9 or 10 to play both... because you are basing those divisions on age and not skill. I think in the teen baseball program and even with a few 12s, dual-rostering could work out ok. I have been greatly in favor in recent years of NOT sponsoring seniors and putting those kids into big league. If you had dual rostering, you could have a roster of 18 kids for big league that have five 17/18s and 13 15/16s that would also play seniors. You could be in a similar boat in junior / senior.

At the same time do we want a 4 to be able to dual roster tball and coach pitch? Do you have to write in a structure so that there is no more than one level of jumping? Because I can see someone wanting to jump their 11 year old into seniors because they think their kid is so amazing. So, as I said, I think if you can put together a detailed structure for it, there are some good pieces to it.

Three-year age structure for tournaments.. that's a combination of things, I think. More waiver requests again, keeping up with the neighbors so that it looks more like a 10U, 11U, 12U structure, and it might have something to do with trying to create more tournament participation. There are a lot of thin rosters and thin brackets going on... my district had 16 leagues last year and not a single-bracket was 16 teams.

#6 kylejt

kylejt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:30 AM

Not sure why they want to dip down to get younger kids on the All Star teams. Perhaps to get more team$ playing.

‚Äč

"Stay in the box, kid", instead of the 7.13 like jumble of exceptions. Gee whiz.

Let 'em fake bunt.

Keep 15 June. It prevents a lot of nonsense. Not all, but some. And do they define "availability"?

#7 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

Like I said.... June 15 is VERY open-ended.

The box rule is consistent with others... just idiot proofing it for the volunteer level.

Fact remains that I don't think we have a problem with games that are too long.

#8 DCBaseball

DCBaseball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

I think the benefit of the "stay in the box" rules is that it is required in HS and we should be preparing them for that.

I also see great benefit if it stops the over coaching that absolutely occurs.

I far too often see a coach telling a kid to step out in the 1st inning with no outs, nobody on so that they can give Johnny a swing away signal.

Really?

#9 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

I'd be in favor of the one foot in the box rule for Intermediate and older, not for small field. The offenders will simply have the kids place one foot outside the box and still go through the gyrations of agonizingly slow signals.

#10 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

I believe LL needs to be more open. The core of LL is the community baseball angle. I would be opposed to suggestions to change otherwise. Other than that, I believe that anything else needs to be on the table for consideration if LL wants to remain relevant in the future.

1. Yep. I'm for it. The more baseball you can offer, the more of a chance at retention. Let the local league determine what's fair and isn't from the participation level.

2. Let the president coach. Saves about 100,000 waiver requests. Lol

3. All for it. Why not?

4. This one is silly. Older kids needs to be taught to be responsible with their equipment. Dumb.

5. I see what's trying to be done and don't oppose it. They did include the mandatory warning.

6. We already have banned slashing on the small field.

7. YES! The key there is that it requires "availability and eligibility" so technically you can't name a player until 60% of your regular season has been played. Kids in CA have their regular seasons end BY May. So under the current rules, these kids have to sit around for 6 weeks before being named officially to the tournament team.

8. Yes, but I'd go a step further. Eliminate the age (I.e. "9-10 tournament team"). Just make it minors and majors. Done. If you play 60% of your minor games, then you are eligible for your minors tournament team regardless of age. Yep, that means you could have 11 year olds on the minor TT but that decision would fall on the league and the parents for opting to have that 11 year old play Minors all season.

9. The availability and eligibility thing again.

10. FINALLY!!! No need for all these age groups. It's time to downsize. 15-18 Senior, 13-15 Junior, 11-13 Intermediate. Done. I've lost a lot of 15s over the years because we don't have 15-16 around here. 15-18 are the high school kids anyway. Let them be grouped as one. Expand Juniors an age so we can try to retain some of these 15s. Maybe this would encourage more leagues to stop procrastinating and finally put together a 50/70 team.

#11 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

Kylejt - I'll tell u exactly why. Every year, I have at least 1 league not enter a team because they simply don't have enough players. Every year, I have small leagues place 9 year olds on the team who really aren't tournament talent simply to fill a roster spot. Meanwhile, a good 8 year old has to sit at home while he watches an old player with lesser talent become an "all star" (can u say "going to play travel now").

Many major 10 year olds are forced to go play "down" with kids because they can't play with their regular season teammates. Many parents view that as a demotion (can u say "going to play travel now").

#12 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

Why do you think kids in California end their seasons by May?.....You think we play in the cold rain and when the sun finally comes out we stop playing?......I can speak for 13 leagues, if we didn't have TOCs we would play till the 15th.....If the 15th falls on a Saturday we have closing ceremonies that day.

I think the second Saturday of June would be a better date for those leagues that like to announce names at closing ceremonies, I'm against announcing name at closing ceremonies but am in the minority and watch league after league break the rule.

#13 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

I have a friend in LA. First game of the regular season is in early February. Their regular season ends at the beginning of May. They have playoffs through out May but that doesn't involve all the teams. At least that's what he told me.

#14 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

Same; we are in California and our local school year ends around June 2.  People leave for summer camps or vacations after that, so we HAVE to complete our regular season in early May and our city tournament before Memorial Day weekend.   Teams could be announced by mid-May if we had permission.  

#15 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:29 AM

We play up till our kill date for TOCs.....TOCs start the first weekend of June......We start tryouts in two weeks and start practice the last week of February......I guess our rainy season is longer in Norther California.

#16 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

I'm jealous. If We are lucky play our opening day 3rd week of April and getting 12 games before 6/15 is often a struggle if we get any significant rain. Usually end up with a few back to back games and DH to get them in. No time for "play offs" or TOCs. Those got pulled a few years back when All star managers complained they didn't get the full two weeks to practice.

I'm optimistic this season will be different. We haven't had much snow and it's been unseasonably warm.
  • DCBaseball likes this

#17 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

We start games the first week of April (hopefully) and try to get 12-14 regular season games + 2-4 "playoff" games in before June 15. Certainly a struggle. We shoveled snow off our fields for opening day last year.

#18 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

That's why I'm against removal of the "June 15th or two weeks prior", it gives warm weather leagues an advantage.
They'll end up naming/practicing All Stars in mid/late May, weeks ahead of northern/colder climate teams.
To me, take out June 15th and just make it 14 days prior to the start of the Tournament or just pick a date in early June (e.g.: June 3rd).

#19 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Second Saturday of June.

#20 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

Second Saturday in June might be too late for some divisions.
The second Saturday in June last year was June 11.
LL Softball and Intermediate Baseball started on June 20.
Eight days is not enough practice time.

Two weeks prior or some date in "early" June.
To me, just use two weeks prior to the Approved LL start date for that division.
What you don't want to do is give some leagues an advantage over others.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users