The following is the direct manner listed for adding a team -- described as the fourth method, with the other three methods found in the Operating Manual.
- "The following process must be used:
- The team to be added shall select four to seven players (not protected in the draft) before the draft begins and shall draft last in each draft round. The Board of Directors shall determine the number of pre-draft players to be selected. It is recommended that the new team manager and one or more coaches be approved and their children to be protected in the draft.
- For draft purposes, the pre-selected players would be counted as returning players to determine if a "Bonus" selection would be made by expanding team at the end of the fourth round of the draft.
- If a player trade is required, see "NOTES FOR TRADING PLAYERS"
- It is NOT recommended that existing teams give up returning players -- see "Option Two" of the Draft Procedure -- Operations (sic) Manual."
If a coach had a stud travel team, he could place nearly his entire team together for a run to Williamsport. Manager's and two assistant coaches' sons are protected, plus the first seven (7) selections in the pre-draft gives you ten (10) players, in effect, before any other team drafts.
Was the method found in this document ever approved by Little League International?
If ever approved, why is it not in the 2015 Operating Manual?
Regulation V, Selection of Players, states, "The selection of players for the various terms within a league shall be in compliance with the Little League Draft Selection System as detailed in the Operating Manual."
This method is not in the Operating Manual.