Photo

Voting Board Member Out

Little League Board

45 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Steve H_*

Guest_Steve H_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Does anyone know if there is a term limit for a President of a local Little League?
Our President has been in his position for over 25 years.

Thanks

#22 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

Under the Sample/Recommended LL Constituition (which most leagues use) your Board is elected annually by the membership.
Once elected, the Board Members elect the 7 required Officers from those elected to the Board.
There is no "tenure", nor are there any "term limits".
That is, a new person can be elected to an Officer Position every year or the same person can be elected to the same Officer Position year after year after year.

Of course, if your league's approved Constitution says something different, it governs.
For example, we have a league in our District that has a Constitution approved by LL and their membership annually elects their 7 BOD Officers by Position and then they elect the other General BOD Members to fill out the Board.

==================
I know of a few Presidents that served 20 or so years before they decided to "retire".
Long-time Board Members/Officers are fairly common although 25 years is a pretty long time.

==================
As for voting a BOD Member off of the Board (per the LL Sample/Recommended Constitution), he/she can be voted off by a 2/3 vote of the Board Members at a regular or special board meeting. The individual shall be allowed to speak at the meeting in his/her defense.

===================
OK, so is there a "problem" with the President or do you feel 25 years just too long?
Quite often no one wants to be President, maybe that's part of why he's been President soon long.

#23 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

No term limits in LL, BOD/Officer is for a 1 year term at a time. President gets voted in every year just like all other Board Members.

Just have to vote him/her out if you don't like it.
I personally find it odd that people make LL a "career" like that.
Who would want to be a President for 25 years?
I did 5 years and that was 1 or 2 too much.

#24 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:10 AM

Our previous president was in for decades. I'm not sure anyone really remembers how long. Towards the end, other board members were really doing his work, but nobody wanted to vote him out.

We do have one board member that has been involved for about 40 years, (though not on the board). His kids came through the league, and now his grandkids are playing.

Our board is up to 22-23, but we are working on reducing the number. A number of people get on and then do little to nothing.

#25 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

The cross-town President has been there I think 30 years this year, which is just insane to me.
Similar thing where his kids and now his grandkids are playing.

3-5 years is most common and I think a pretty good length.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#26 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

Our board is up to 22-23, but we are working on reducing the number. A number of people get on and then do little to nothing.

Every BOD Member should have a "job", there is plenty of work to go around.
If a BOD Member is not doing his/her job, then vote them off the Board.
Been there, done that !!!
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#27 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Every BOD Member should have a "job", there is plenty of work to go around.
If a member is not doing his/her job, vote them off the Board.
Been there, done that !!!

They all have jobs, some just don't do them, and too many want to be "nice" and not remove them. So a few of us end up picking up the slack and us few are over it.

We added attendee requirements and duty fulfillment requirements this year. Several will soon be gone.

I've worked with a lot of volunteer groups.
Some people always do more than others, but you have to get rid of the ones that are just baggage.

#28 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:23 AM

How would you get rid of a president if voted in but needs to removed before season starts

#29 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:49 AM

How do you get rid of the president

Vote him off the board.

#30 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Same way as any other Board Member/Officer.
You have a Board Meeting (must have a quorum present).
You present and discuss the reason(s) he/she should be removed.
Then the Board Members vote on suspension/termination.
It takes a 2/3 vote to remove him/her.

Guest: if you don't mind me asking, what did the President do that warrants his/her removal?

#31 Guest_Robinson_*

Guest_Robinson_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:50 AM

I’m secretary of my local Little League (1st year, all new board) and we are currently having loads of issues with the board not getting along because some members are not doing their jobs.

The President is horrible and is not doing her job.
She avoids parent questions and has not attempted to fix any current issues at our park.

How do you vote a President out if there are only 6 current board members, 1 is her daughter and the other 2 are her goons?
Can parents vote a president out somehow?

#32 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

The Members elect the Board.
Once elected, only the Board can vote a Board Member/Officer off the Board.

By the way, you should have a minimum of 7 Board Members (President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, Player Agent, Safety Officer and Coaching Coordinator).

#33 Guest_Robinson_*

Guest_Robinson_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

We don’t have a safety officer. She resigned at the beginning of the season.
We currently have President, VP, Secretary, treasurer, player agent and information officer.
Would it be too late for someone to enter office into positions that are not filled?

#34 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

You need the seven required Officers I listed above.
An Information Officer is not a required Officer position but it is recommended.

What you need to do is have your Board appoint/approve members to fill the open Officer positions.
Background checks are obviously required.

======
By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what types of current issues are not being resolved by your President?

#35 Guest_Robinson_*

Guest_Robinson_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

We are a whole new board and most of us are trying to better the reputation of our park because it hasn’t had a good one for years now.
We are trying to learn how to efficiently run our park.
The President isn’t making sure that every board member is fulfilling their duties, she has not tried to fill any of the positions for officers we are missing, hasn’t organized any fundraisers or attempted to approve any that other board members have suggested, hasn’t completed our Safety Plan, makes purchases without motioning them to the board, hasn’t called for a board meeting since opening day and is never available to meet if other board members and regular members suggest having meetings.
I’m sure there are other issues that I am missing.
She just overall isn’t a great president.
She believes the only thing we should be doing as a Board is opening and closing the park for each game.
I guess we can ride it out til the end of the season.

#36 Guest_Lou Barbieri_*

Guest_Lou Barbieri_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:48 PM

Assuming your league uses the LL Sample/Recommended Constitution (which most leagues do) you are in luck.
As the Secretary you have the authority to call for a Special Board Meeting!

You need to describe what the meeting will cover.
You need to set the date and time (normally as agreed to by the President).
Finally you need to provide the above information to the BOD Members in advance of the merting.

Your Constitution should describe the process.
In the LL Sample Constitution it's in Article VI - Board of Directors, Section 4.

#37 Guest_Robinson_*

Guest_Robinson_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:26 AM

Thank you so much!
I will call for a Special Meeting to fill in vacancies we have.
If the President or any other board members refuse to attend, do they basically give up voting rights or does the President have to be there?

#38 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

There is no requirement that the President be there.
For example, if the President is not there the VP could run the meeting, or, since you called the meeting, you could run it.

As long as you have a quorum you can conduct business.

Good Luck. B)

#39 Guest_Robinson_*

Guest_Robinson_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:36 PM

The quorum consists of Regular Members and Board Members, correct?

#40 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

It's a Special BOARD Meeting.
So, you said you currently have 6 on the Board, those 6 are the only ones that count.
Your Constitution should specify the required quorum.

For example, our says 50%, which for us is 8 out of 15 but in your case would be 3 out of 6.

===========
If you want to call a Special General Membership Meeting that's a whole different process.
Again, that should also be described in your Constitution.
If you don't have one to review you can request a copy from your Regional Office.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Little League Board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users