2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

Does your league ever host this competition or have you ever been part of it?

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...tch_hit_run.jsp

For the past three years the league gives me the 90' dimond during our picture/field day and my wife and I run it......We usually get a handful of kids that qualify for the next round to make the hour or so drive to sectionals and from there we have had three kids advance to the MLB stadium level in Oakland...One took first and he had a 1/32 chance of getting picked to be one of the kids at the AllStar game in the outfield shagging balls during the HR derby.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Good for you/your league/kids.

Now, as for the kids in the outfield during the MLB Home Run Derby, every year I watch it I'm thankful no one gets hurt!
To me, it looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Those kids are not used to catching MLB fly balls/pop-ups and it shows.

Then again, maybe that's just me.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

I was watching a replay of the competition as I made this thread and thought the same thing....without a little warmup I would have trouble catching a towering 350' pop up, add a little wind to the mix and a bunch of kids hotdogging it....all bad....I was thinking the rule you can't pitch another one till the last one lands is a safty rule for those kids and fans.

The kids in the green shirts are the one there because of this competition, there is a 7/8 year old boy and girl, 9/10,11/12 & 13/14.....The youngest age group is pretty small but these kids are all very talented players who won skill competitions at three levels to get there.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users