7 replies to this topic

#1 Adam T

Adam T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

We have a regular season manager who was selected by the BOD as an all-star coach. This person is also a board member. The all-star team hasn't been selected yet, so the affidavits aren't filled out.

Now, due to poor behavior since being nominated and approved, we need to remove this person as a coach.

How would you handle this?

I don't have access to my Operating Manual until Monday. Any help would be appreciated.

I thought it would be best to approach this person and allow them to bow out gracefully, but the first time this person was talked to regarding poor sportsmanship and badgering youth umpires they chalked it up to a big misunderstanding.I'm not sure this person will take the high road on this.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

I guess I won't ask how he got nominated/approved in the first place!

At this point you can ask him to resign but it sounds like he won't.

So, call a Special BOD meeting/hearing and invite him to it.
Tell him the purpose of the meeting is to re-visit his appointment as the All Star coach.
At the meeting present the items/actions against him and let him present his side.
The BOD then votes to keep him as the coach or release/replace him (2/3 vote needed).

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:47 PM

Lou nailed your question.

So your BoD picks the manager?....The kids don't get to vote?....IMO the kids get the coach right 95% of the time, it might not be the coach who knows the fundamentals the best, is the most strategic or has the highest baseball IQ but it's usally the guy who has the best LL spirt.....In my league that works, we know we're not going to be in the LLWS so we want to represent our league, city & county with great sportsmanship first....I turn my kids into mental athletes, I'm not big on fundamentals, the way I see it is once they become a mental athlete they'll seek the fundamental knowledge, they'll practice away from practice and go to camps...I make my players coachable for when they move up a level, my style in softball carries over when the girls play other sports or vise versa, if a LL coach makes it so a kid wants to come back and can't wait to come back next year you've done your job. This year three 11th graders that I've coached at young ages from three different schools made All League, that makes it all worth it to me and let's me know my style works.

#4 Adam T

Adam T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:06 PM

Does the president appoint all-star coaches too? And if the pres chooses not to appoint this one? Can we so it that way? I would think this person would want to avoid a scene... I guess we'll see

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:04 AM

Technically since all All Star managers and coaches have to be Regular Season managers or coaches they have already been appointed by the President and approved by the Board.

I've never been involved with a league that appoints/approves All Star managers and coaches like they do for Regular Season (president appoints who he/she wants and the BOD approves or rejects).

Leagues need to have a written selection process (hopefully described in their local rules before the season starts so everyone knows how it will be done).

In my old league the BOD interviewed each candidate and voted on who they wanted.
Some leagues automatically give the job to the league champ/top team manager (personally I never liked that one).
Some have the managers and coaches vote some have the kids vote or some use both.
It's up to the local league (BOD) to determine what works best for them.

#6 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

If the kids don't vote then there's no reason to bribe them with snack shack credit.

#7 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

BOD should always approve the coach. Kids don't know enough for the "adult" things that can come up. 

Kids do well in voting for a good portion of the team. 

As Lou said, hold a special BOD meeting. He isn't on an affidavit, he isn't official. 

#8 Adam T

Adam T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

The all-star coach withdrew voluntarily. It was for the best at this point. The coaching staff wasn't going to be getting a long very well due to an incident that happened after the coaches had been selected by the BOD.

Thanks for all the input!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users