#1 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

Had this issue come up a few years ago. 

A first-year manager and his assistants popped for MLB replica jerseys with their own names on the back.  They all came with the number 00 printed on the backs as well.  They wore caps, blue jeans or shorts and tennis shoes during games.  The team wore the MLB T shirts (with LL patch) that the league provides with their uniforms. 

While the coaches' replica jerseys looked nothing like the kids' T shirts and the full manner in which they were dressed looked nothing like the kids' uniforms, they were told they could not wear them during games because they were wearing a uniform shirt.

While I took the spirit of the rule to mean coaches couldn't wear an identical shirt that matches the kids' uniform, the league took the rule to mean that any shirt with a number on the back constituted a conventional uniform.  I thought the rule was so that younger players (Majors and below) didn't get confused during a play by base coaches dressed exactly like players. 

What's your take on this?  And what is the intention of the rule to begin with?

"Managers and coaches must not wear conventional baseball uniforms or shoes with metal spikes but may wear cap, slacks and a shirt."   

#2 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

is this a local rule or LLI rule

when I was coaching, we all wore team replicas

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

A shirt is not a uniform!

Whoever told them they couldn't wear their shirts during the games was being "overly officious" in my opinion.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

#4 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

It's in the LL Official Regulations and Playing Rules. 

#5 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Jerrod.... that's not a uniform, just an overzealous coach. 

The best option (of you can get a good deal) is to go with polo shirts league-wide to use as an identifier. 

• HaRDBaLL likes this

#6 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

During the Tournament we have a State Rule that prohibits coaches from wearing matching uniform shirts. But, I have to agree with Lou in that Little League defines a conventional uniform consisting of:shirt, pants, socks and cap. I would not prohibit this during the regular season, I'd have to eject all my Teeball Coaches. 

• HaRDBaLL likes this

#7 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

When I coached younger levels, coaches mostly wore a replica tshirt or jersey.  Never created a problem for anyone that I saw, its not a uniform, and the league needs to lighten up...

• HaRDBaLL likes this

#8 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

Some league officials simply make their jobs harder than it needs to be.
  • HaRDBaLL likes this

#9 Guest_alex_*

Guest_alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

Uniform means the baseball pants, if you aren't wearing pants, it isn't a uniform, it is just a jersey.  This officials need to relax

#10 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Brian... you guys need to look into NJ's policy. They relaxed it a little last year to allow certain kinds of shorts and a caused a couple of problems, but still pretty good. 

#11 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Mike - thank god! Nothing like long pants when it's 100 degrees outside with 99% humidity.

In 2012 under the old policy, my coaches and I showed up to section with our personally bought, brand new khakis. When we saw the other team's coaches were not, we said something to the section coordinator. The reply back was that it was a stupid policy to make us where khakis. Lol!

#12 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Did you know that juniors up can wear uniforms?

#13 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

Actually it would be from INT up can wear uniforms. 

The only problem with NJ last year was too many people let cargo shorts go when they are specifically mentioned in the policy as not permissible. 

#14 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

Stopped by one of the local league fields today, Opening Day.
Major BB game going on, the Cardinals against the Yankees.

The Yankee manager and both coaches were in "full uniform" from their caps/hats all the way down to their cleats.
Yup, they were wearing metal cleats, you could hear the click/clack as they walked around on the concrete floor in the dugout.
I will say that Adult Coaches in full uniform did look a little out of place, especially on the 300+ pound first base coach.

Obviously the umpires didn't care! 😀

After the game, after the PU finished his "post game hot dog" (actually it was a hamburger) I introduced myself and told him that I really didn't care what the manager/coaches wear except for the metal cleats since they could be a safety hazard.
I got the "it's not against the Rules" response to which I responded "Yes it is, you should look it up".
He got up and walked away.
  • HaRDBaLL likes this

#15 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:49 AM

You got to give it up to the first year TBall coach that comes out in cleats, we get one about every three years....We had one last year so we should be in the clear this year.

#16 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

Wait, so technically, coaches and managers cannot wear cargo shorts or jeans during regular season Little League games?  Slacks only?  We would need to request a waiver of this rule prior to allowing cargo shorts?  We really can't just add it into our bylaws because it would conflict with the Rule book.

Look how illegal I am in my fistbump picture!!  Don't tell anyone!  ;)

#17 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

Coaches and managers can (and do) wear jeans and cargo shorts all the time during the regular season.  

When we go to Allstars, managers/coaches must wear slacks or nice hemmed shorts.... and a collared shirt.

#18 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

You'd be hardpressed to find a manager/coach "in slacks" at a Little League game in Florida except maybe very early in the season when it's still cold (cold for Florida that is) !!!

Shorts are the norm, cargo or otherwise. 

The only things that seems to cause problems is coaching the bases in flip-flops !!!

#19 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:30 AM

I hate All-Stars, it's the only time all year you'll find me in a collared shirt, it's about 115 degrees that time of year in Northern California.

#20 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

Shorts are the norm, but obviously against the rules.  Petition to change the rule book?  Or request a waiver?  Or just laugh and accept the ejection when an overzealous umpire comes after me? 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users