Photo

A Year in the Life ... Any suggested changes?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

For what it's worth, I am putting together a "Proposed" change/revision to "A Year in the Life of Hometown Little League" that I will be sending to Williamsport next week for their consideration.

The A Year in the Life ... posted on the LL Website hasn't been updated since Janaury 2013 and, as such, does not address significant Rule/Regulation changes that have been made in the last couple of years (for example: Residency based on Shool Attendance, allowing 5 year olds who played Tee-Ball as 4 year olds to advance to Machine/Coach Pitch, Baseball Age Cut-off change, ...). 

If you have any "suggestions/recommendations" of what you would like to see changed, please post them here.

Thanks in advance.

• Jeremy likes this

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

I think it should be given out free to every manager and coach by LL.......and yes I know it's free online.

#3 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

A couple of suggestions:

- League Age definition definitely needs to be addressed (p22) as you pointed out. 

- Electronic media as a way of letting the community know about registration (instead of paper mailings for example)

Best,

Andy

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

Got the league age covered.

Under Player Membership Drive I added: 

"The notification can be done by mail, e:Mail, social media, phone calls, flyers, posting on the League Website or any combination of methods that ensures the information is made available to all potential players."

Further down the page under How does Hometown Little League announce Registration I added:

Posting the information on the Hometown LL Webpage and the Hometown LL Facebook Page.

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Sometimes I wonder why I bother?

So, I sent in my suggestions on updating a Year in the Life and most of the changes did not get included in the January 2015 version now posted on the LL Website.
They didn't even include the changes to address the new residence based on school attendance.
Can't understand why they wouldn't update it to be in agreement with current rules/regulations!

I'm getting tired beating my head against the wall, maybe it's time to stop.
  • Jeremy likes this

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:02 AM

one thing i've noticed in nonprofit organizations which have a mix of paid and volunteers - the volunteers are often undervalued.  It's especially rough because the volunteers have the lions share of the accumulated knolwedge and skill.

• Jeremy likes this

#7 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

then you have volunteers like those at JRW who ruin for the rest of the volunteers

#8 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

Lou,

Did they at least acknowledge receiving it and thank you for your contribution?

#9 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

I got the standard "thank you for your input, we will review it and consider your recommendations".

I've done a lot of work on Forms and Documents for LL over the years (many times due to their requests) but the last year or two it seems they are reluctant to make changes even when I identify where items have not been updated to revised rules/regulations.

I sent them an e:mail stating they should at least update the document to include the school attendance residency information.

I'll keep sending things in even if they choose to ignore them.

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

Just got an answer from Jamie, he said a newer revision is currently being processed and should be posted within a week.
Hopefully it will include some (all) of the changes I proposed!

#11 NJB

NJB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:24 AM

Lou, perhaps you can include a postal code correction for Canadian Headquarters:

K1G 0H6

This is also incorrect in the rule book.

#12 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:11 AM

I would have thought the Canadian Regional Office would have contacted Williamsport about that!
By the way, it also appears to be incorrect on the LL Website "Contacts" Webpage.

I did send an e:mail on the "correction" to Williamsport.

#13 HaRDBaLL

HaRDBaLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:31 AM

I'd like to see the example of allowing a manager the option to seek a fair trade for a titled player who is seeking release from the team rather than just releasing that player back into the draft pool.  Without the clearly defined trade option, it leaves the release option open to abuse.  I'm a little late for this go 'round, but next time...

#14 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

"Duration of Title" says once a player is on a major team he/she remains on that team until traded or released.
So, to me, the manager has two choices and I was always of the opinion that in most cases a trade was preferable than a release.
That said, if the manager was "OK" with a release so be it.

Obviously "Duration of Title" does not apply in a Re-Draft.

#15 RB56

RB56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:11 AM

It appears the "Year in the Life of Hometown Little League" publication has been replaced by the "2019 Little League Resource Guide."  Do not see any reference to a Minors-to-Majors ratio in the Resource Guide, where there was a 2:1 ratio referenced in the prior publication.  Is that general guidance no longer in place, in any fashion?

We will be down to 11 Majors teams, over our three leagues, and may hit a 7:1 Minors-to-Majors ratio for the 2019 season.  Registration for the Minors Divisions is still happening, while drafted teams were formed last August, so won't know for a few weeks.  Is there no longer any printed guidance?

https://www.littlele...resource-guide/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users