D. Michael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:06 AM

Today's TOC game:

Runners on 1st and 2nd.

Batter bunts to right side.

Batter is inside the foul line the whole way down the line.

Pitcher throws to first and 1B drops the ball.

I called the batter out for running lane violation because I felt the he obstructed the throw/catch.

I know it is a judgement call so my questions is:

Do the runners go back to 1st and 2nd, or can they stay on 2nd/3rd?

#2 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

Did the first baseman a) have to make an extra effort to reach the throw or did he b ) just flat out drop an easily caught ball?  If a ) then interference else no-interference.

2.00 Interference:  a)  . . . If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference,all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.

There is no other provision for the rule in question.

#3 D. Michael

D. Michael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

"Did the first baseman a) have to make an extra effort to reach the throw or did he  B) just flat out drop an easily caught ball?  If a) then interference else no-interference."

The throw was very close to the runner and I felt the runner running inside the line provided an obstruction to the thrower and catcher.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,083 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

Rich is correct, running inside the foul line is not a lane violation/out if it does not interfere with the throw/catch, so if it was a good throw and F3 just dropped it, no interference/out.
If in your judgement (as in this case) the batter/runner did hinder the throw/catch by not being in the running lane then it is interference and the batter/runner is out.
In your case, R1 and R2 return to 1st and 2nd.

#5 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

The throw was very close to the runner and I felt the runner running inside the line provided an obstruction to the thrower and catcher.

Any interference has to be with the fielder taking the throw at first base, not the player throwing the ball.  The throw has to be a quality throw - one catchable with normal effort. For example: If the catcher air-mails the ball into RF there is no interference.

Take the following into account: A throw just being close to the runner doesn't mean it was interference. That's a pretty normal throw at most levels of the game. Should an average fielder have successfully gloved the ball without difficulty? If the ball hit the fielder in the glove and he dropped it how did you thus judge interference?

#6 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Kind of a different take on a somewhat similar situation (and I didn't think it was worthy of a new thread)

Same situation (or it could even be from the left side I guess)

However this has nothing to do with a running lane.

In this example a kid is running full steam to 1st base, the F3 is flat on the middle of the bag, BR bunts, F1 fields and throws to F3 in the middle of the bag. He was so in the middle of the bag that the BR had to slow down or steam roll him.  BR chooses to slow down. Ball beats BR by a half step. 

Is this obstruction? What happens if BR doesn't slow and its a train wreck at first?

#7 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

In this example a kid is running full steam to 1st base, the F3 is flat on the middle of the bag, BR bunts, F1 fields and throws to F3 in the middle of the bag. He was so in the middle of the bag that the BR had to slow down or steam roll him.  BR chooses to slow down. Ball beats BR by a half step. 

Is this obstruction? What happens if BR doesn't slow and its a train wreck at first?

I see this allllllllllll the time!  I cannot wait to read what some of the esteemed, knowledgeable, people on this forum think.  I know what I've told my players, and what I would call as an umpire.  but, I have been wrong in the past and cannot wait to read the responses.

#8 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

Kind of a different take on a somewhat similar situation (and I didn't think it was worthy of a new thread)

Same situation (or it could even be from the left side I guess)

However this has nothing to do with a running lane.

Of course it is.

2.00 OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Unless you somehow think forcing a runner to slow down is not impeding him.

If he doesn't slow down and the ball gets there first call the out. Can't be obstruction if the fielder has the ball.

May have a case of unsportsmanlike conduct and an ejection on the runner if there was any overt act on the runner's part that was beyond a mere collision.

#9 OkieBlue

OkieBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDhahran KSA, Chickasha, OK

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

This situation is what caused the creation of double Safety Bases at first base.

I recommend they be used for Minors and below because fielders are still learning how to field, and you don't get into the problem of telling the runner to "run through the fielder".

Otherwise, coaches can instruct their runners to run to the foul side of the bag to avoid the collision and without the need to slow up.

As umpires we have to call it by the book. There is the potential for an obstruction call, but if the ball arrives first, we can't call it.

#10 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

This situation is what caused the creation of double Safety Bases at first base.

I recommend they be used for Minors and below because fielders are still learning how to field, and you don't get into the problem of telling the runner to "run through the fielder".

Otherwise, coaches can instruct their runners to run to the foul side of the bag to avoid the collision and without the need to slow up.

As umpires we have to call it by the book. There is the potential for an obstruction call, but if the ball arrives first, we can't call it.

The ball arrives first in my example because the runner had to slow down to avoid contact, IMHO, the runner in this one particular play would have beaten the throw had he had a clear path to the base and did not have to slow down to avoid a collision

#11 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

The ball arrives first in my example because the runner had to slow down to avoid contact, IMHO, the runner in this one particular play would have beaten the throw had he had a clear path to the base and did not have to slow down to avoid a collision

Slowing down because of the fielder's position is obstruction because he slowed prior to the ball  arriving. Once you rule obstruction on a runner who has not reached first base the ball is immediately dead and the runner is awarded first base.  No "what ifs" to consider.

#12 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

Slowing down because of the fielder's position is obstruction because he slowed prior to the ball  arriving. Once you rule obstruction on a runner who has not reached first base the ball is immediately dead and the runner is awarded first base.  No "what ifs" to consider.

I wasn't working the game,I was just watching

I just posted what I observed

on that note, I thought it was obstruction but wanted to ask you guys

the actual call by BU was the BR was out

#13 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:28 AM