6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

I've found the rule about cast (1.11) and also concussions but I can't find a rule on stitches..?

A kid received six on Thursday (not at the fields) and she wanted to play today (Monday), so she didn't miss seven days.

I ruled she couldn't play today and if I'm wrong at least I erred on the side of caution.

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:02 AM

...it was coach pitch, had it been competitive I would have called the DA before the game.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,083 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

If she got stitches she should have gotten a note from the doctor stating whether or not she could play softball with the stitches. I would imagine it would depend on where the stitches were and if they could be "covered" with some sort of bandage.
Also, I would think it would depend on how long the stitches had been in, 1 day, 4 days, 7 days, ...
Not knowing the particulars (where the stitches are located, ...), I can't say what I would have done.

By the way, why call the DA?

#4 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

I've found the rule about cast (1.11) and also concussions but I can't find a rule on stitches..?

A kid received six on Thursday (not at the fields) and she wanted to play today (Monday), so she didn't miss seven days.

I ruled she couldn't play today and if I'm wrong at least I erred on the side of caution.

What's seven days have to do with it?  The reg just requires a Dr. note if you've been out more than that.  If you're requiring one anyhow it becomes moot. And maybe not kosher.

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

>>>By the way, why call the DA?

Because the coach came to me five minutes before the game with the question, I had the coach and VP on their phones searching Google and me with a rule book in hand and couldn't find an answer, this forum takes hours to get help with questions...If the game was competitive I would have wanted to know I was making the right call and there was no room for a protest....isn't the DA's job to advise with day to day operations?....We have an ump that did the LLWS last year who is in a different district but he did a few games this year for us, he told me to call Western Regionals with any questions because that what we pay our charter fees for, but our DA tells us to call him before we call Regionals.

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

I did not know about the 'dr note' rule.  At what point are parents responsible for whether their kids can play with injuries short of concussion/breaks?   What about sprains?  Migraines?  Flu?    Managers have limited ability to monitor health of players with respect to injuries or illnesses.  (Obviously I'd bench a player who was clearly too sick to play safely).  

My team had a player (in Majors) with stitches near his elbow.  His father taped a guard over the stitches and he played.    

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,083 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

"I did not know about the 'dr note' rule."
Regulation III THE TEAMS (d) NOTE 2:
When a player misses more than seven (7) continuous days of participation for an illness or injury, a physician or other acredited medical provider must give written permission for a return to full baseball activity.

LL is loking for a little CYA here.
They figure if the kid has been sick/hurt and has been out for over a week someone with some medical background needs to say it's OK for the kid to play

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users