#21 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:06 PM

Lou says it right there =====>      "A little pre-planning goes a long way."

My motto has always been Proper Preparation Prevents P_ss Poor Performance (6Ps)

When I was assigned to coach I let the Manager manage and it was hectic most of the time.  When I was a Manager I pre-planned, pre-planned, and then did some more.  I likened it to managing at my job.  Oh, wait, I was a Manager of a team so that was my job!!! 

I really, really loved it when the kids ran the games and I wasn't calling every play, pitch, and movement on the field.  They learned and it made my job easier.  In All Stars, with the Umpires permission, I even had the subs check in with the umpire and scorekeepers.  These kids learned to speak to authority and take charge.  We just need to let them do things on their own.

For catchers, in Juniors and now older, the players I have coached will be on-deck with one or two outs depending on the situation, swinging the bat with their shin guards on, and sometimes their chest protector.  It's their way of being prepared and it makes me proud that they remember it.  I think they will carry that thought process into their future activities, not just baseball.

#22 JM Lugo

JM Lugo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

I went to see an Interleague Intermediate game at another league.

Assistant Coach comes out and warms up the pitcher, umpire says nothing.

Next week that team plays in my park, I umpire it.

Assistant Coach comes out with a glove, I tell him that he is not allowed to warm up the pitcher.

He asks me why and I say "Because the Rule Book says you cant. Rule 3.09"

He looks at me weird and says that back at his League he's allowed.

I say "ok, but not here".

I talk to the manager and he knows the rules but says his league is a bit different....

#23 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

I love kids coaching the bases. In LL and even travel I almost always let a kid coach a base, sometimes both. It really gets them engaged and forces them to analyze the game from a coach's perspective. Great learning experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for coaches warming up the pitcher, I know the rule is there because it's a kid's game, but having a kid catch 3 or 4 pitches isn't going to develop them into a catcher.

Normally it goes like this:

Timmy (the catcher) was on base as the inning ended.

Teams runs out to take the field.

"Hey I got three guys on the bench, who's warming up the pitcher?"

My back-up catcher is warming up the right fielder, one kid forgot his cup, leaving the other kid to do it.

"Go grab the mask and glove"

"Where is it, I can't find the glove"

"It's over there"

"Oh, got it, but the mask doesn't fit"

"The back stretches, pull it back"

Kid fights the mask halfway between first and home.

Finally gets it on and squats down.

Regular catcher ready to go.

The alternate is:

Timmy (the catcher) was on base as the inning ended.

I grab a glove, run out, 4 pitches, regular catcher comes out, coming down, play ball.

The time difference there is big and adds up over the course of the game.

Guess what your solution is?

#24 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,150 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:35 AM

The rule is the rule, it you don't like it submit a proposed change to Williamsport.
As for slowing things down how many times in a game is the catcher on base when a half inning ends?
How many times do umps allow 2, 3 or even 4 minutes between half innings?
That's where most of the time is wasted, IMO.

====
Attended my grandson's playoff game (9-10 minors) today outside Atlanta.
Coaches warmed up pitchers for both teams a couple of times.
I "timed the umps" and the average time between half innings was two minutes and forty seconds.
They play a no new inning after an hour and a half so time between half innings really add up!
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#25 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

Random look at our league has Majors at 2 min to 2min 30 sec between innings.  Yes it adds up! 

High school consistently under 2min between innings.  

#26 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:55 PM

I timed games in Minors after coaches were complaining they were only getting three innings in before dark.

The worse game was 7-8 minutes between innings. (I said nothing to see if it got better. )

I did have a talk with the youth umpires. Even more with the coaches. If you are at all prepared, the catcher does not really slow the team down. 

First thing, if the catcher is not due up in the inning, they don't have to take the shin guards off. (That is the piece that takes the longest.) I see catchers all the enter the dugout and take all the equipment off. They could be up 13th and will do this. Second, if three coaches can't have the glove and mask ready for the player on the bench, or the third baseman to go out and start warming up the pitcher, what are they doing? A lot more to coaching LL than windmilling your arm at third. 

What ticks me off is other leagues don't seem to care about any rules. I think I posted before about walking through a league with: 2 players swinging bats behind the backstop during the innings, a line of coaches (5 or 6?) hanging out on the field chatting, (Majors) during a game, a girl in diapers in one dugout and a dog in another, pitchers warming up in the outfield during an inning, etc. Of course, coaches warming up catchers. One game the pitcher's father went from outside the fence on the field to warm up his son every inning.

Oh, and as to warming up pitchers, from what I have seen, (at other leagues, we do not allow it), coaches tend to have the pitcher throw more warm-up pitches than kids do, particularly if the kid is their son. That doesn't speed things up. (And then the catcher will want several more. )

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users