#21 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:06 PM

Lou says it right there =====>      "A little pre-planning goes a long way."

My motto has always been Proper Preparation Prevents P_ss Poor Performance (6Ps)

When I was assigned to coach I let the Manager manage and it was hectic most of the time.  When I was a Manager I pre-planned, pre-planned, and then did some more.  I likened it to managing at my job.  Oh, wait, I was a Manager of a team so that was my job!!! 

I really, really loved it when the kids ran the games and I wasn't calling every play, pitch, and movement on the field.  They learned and it made my job easier.  In All Stars, with the Umpires permission, I even had the subs check in with the umpire and scorekeepers.  These kids learned to speak to authority and take charge.  We just need to let them do things on their own.

For catchers, in Juniors and now older, the players I have coached will be on-deck with one or two outs depending on the situation, swinging the bat with their shin guards on, and sometimes their chest protector.  It's their way of being prepared and it makes me proud that they remember it.  I think they will carry that thought process into their future activities, not just baseball.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users