13 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:37 PM

For the leagues that have started, are there any issues because of the Coronavirus?

We had a pre-season clinic last weekend, and only about ⅔ of those signed up attended. 

We still have folks registering, and are not getting questions yet, but I wonder what others are seeing. 

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:05 AM

No issues yet around here.
There have been no identified cases in our county nor any of the surrounding counties.
Crowds at the games seem about the same size as years past.

There is a Post on another Forum that says their local schools have shut down so they are suspending LL play, most likely until the schools re-open.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

Thanks. We are hitting the player evaluation, coaches/safety meeting stage.

Schools in our county have closed, including a private high school in our boundaries closed today and tomorrow.

We have a few cases in the county, the neighboring one has a number.

We did send out a letter to all parents, and have received little concerns expressed by parents, but wonder how the season will play out.

I could see the coaches/safety meeting being sparsely attended.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:07 PM

LL is monitoring the situation and putting a plan together for leagues canceling/delaying games due to the virus (could possibly waive the 12 game Tournament Requirement).

If you are canceling/delaying games or altering your schedules you should notify LL via email at: [email protected]

#5 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

Little League just sent out an email saying:

Little League International operates more than 6,500 programs in more than 84 countries, and therefore, we recommend that our leagues exercise an abundance of caution and implement a temporary suspension of all league activities until no earlier than April 6.

​ If you have not started your season, we kindly ask that you modify your schedule and season plans to start no earlier than April 6.

I'm sure folks will get it.

Out District emailed all leagues today to cancel all activities, practices, games, meetings, etc, at least through the end of the month.

We don't have games yet, but we have evaluations, coaches meeting, safety meeting, etc. scheduled.

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

Any suggested best practices with respect to refunds for registration?  We're debating now. 

Would love to be able to simply refund everyone (in the event the season cannot continue in April) but we have already bought gear, spent on fields, and incurred other costs which are material.   

Thinking about offering to refund those who need it and asking families to consider converting registration to a donation if they can afford it.   

Thoughts?

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

The date has been changed from April 6th to May 11th.
It's going to be a really short season, if there is one at all. :(

#8 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

I say screw All Stars and play a regular season schedule in June and July.
  • awu and rsnyder6 like this

#9 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 March 2020 - 10:14 PM

Thinking about offering to refund those who need it and asking families to consider converting registration to a donation if they can afford it.   

Thoughts?

...or a credit towards next season.
  • awu likes this

#10 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:14 AM

...or a credit towards next season.

We're discussing credit toward next season, but that's both complicated to track per family and potentially leaves us short of funds then.  My preference is to end the year without that financial burden.   No good answer.  At least our majors season had 3-4 games played.    

Since school ends around June 1, our season is basically over.  Too many families leave for us to play regular season in June.

#11 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

The Leagues around here are in the same boat.
Play had already been going on for 2-3 weeks which means the majority of league expenses have already been incurred.
With the loss of concession income for 8+ weeks they are looking at losing quite a bit of money this year.
I know one local league has posted an article on their Website describing their situation.
One other local league is giving a 15% refund IF the rest of the season is canceled.

#12 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:02 AM

I'm surprised at the leagues I see saying they are going to take a couple week brake and continue. Though local authorities may have something to say about that. 

Our town has closed the fields to our permitted use, so local travel teams are using them for practice. They don't pay for them, but can't reserve them. (Problem is they are chewing them up.) 

Our opening day was to be April 4, but looking at May 11, well we just don't know what will happen yet. Schools are closed, some indefinitely, all colleges, restaurants can only do take out, no school teams can practice, activities with more then 50 people are banned. There is a lot that would have to come back before we could get going. 

If we can't even start practicing until May 11th, that doesn't mean much of a season.

#13 awu

awu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

I'm with Jeremy.  That's the option we're leaning towards, hopefully we get to have that option, things around here obviously look very bleak.

#14 D. Michael

D. Michael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:35 PM

I agree as well Jeremy. I would go as far to let the season play out in August, September, October if needed. (I know the league age changes but a temporary waiver can be easily done).

I am interested to see how LLI plays this out. Does the almighty dollar win out over their mission to get as many kids playing baseball as possible?

If play is able to resume in May, (a big if right now), and they keep all stars, then most leagues will gear towards that, leaving out lots of potential games for the majority.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users