7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:12 AM

I don’t have a 2020 rule book and I tried to use google.

Today I went and watched teams practice....I saw an adult squatting behind the plate with live batting....I know for fact that doesn’t happen in games, can someone point me in the direction of the rule for practice so I can put a stop to the unsafe practice....I’ve been away from LL for two seasons so I’m a little rusty on rules.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:52 PM

3.09 and don't let them tell you it only applies in games, especially since it says "or elsewhere at any time"!

It's practice, use it to train the team's catchers!

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:11 PM

I should have included the pitcher was an adult too, I don’t want them to try to play a semantics game with me.

“The catchers not warming up a pitcher, he’s catching batting practice from an adult”

Thanks for the rule number, when I’m about to point something out I always like to be prepared with the rule number...To me this is just common sense, give it time they’ll learn the hard way.

#4 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:38 PM

3.09 and don't let them tell you it only applies in games, especially since it says "or elsewhere at any time"!

It's practice, use it to train the team's catchers!

That's not what it means, the rule covers games only. That part of the rule states: "must not warm up the pitcher at home plate or in the bullpen or elsewhere at anytime." That last part means not outside the fence, not down the line, etc. 3.09 covers the game being played. Nowhere does it say anything about practice. Notice it is specific about home plate and the bullpen. Some fields don't have bullpens and LL doesn't want coaches exploiting the rule during games. 

I agree, they shouldn't be doing that, but don't start making MSU rules to suit how you feel. If LL has a written AR about prohibiting this in practice, then go ahead and enforce it. Otherwise, ignore it.

I have not seen an AR about this yet, but maybe someone has. I'm happy to change my position if someone can show me LL has specifically outlawed this in practice.

And an AR would be an official written ruling from LL International. Not some BS like the janitor of Region XYZ, or the DA of District ABC, or my UIC, told me this, or I saw it somewhere. So far, it's not in the RIM as of 2019. 

Change my mind.

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:32 PM

Just adding a link to an old thread to this new thread.....the old thread doesn’t really cover my question but it’s the same general topic.

http://leagueforum.o...-pitcher/page-2

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

Adult pitcher and adult catcher both of who must be approved manager/coach, obviously not an issue, but I still say they should have a player catching to help train their catchers.

Remember, only players, the manager and the coaches are allowed on the practice field.
That said, you can get additional "practice coaches" approved to help out.

#7 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:56 PM

To me it is an issue, maybe not against LL rules but still dangerous since the catcher only had a glove.

I’ll let this one go since I don’t have written rules to back it but this might need to be a local bylaw.

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:22 AM

If the guy is dumb enough to "catch" BP with only a glove he's an accident waiting to happen!

As Forest would say: Stupid is as Stupid does. B)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users