9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

After two years away from the league because my daughter aged out, I’m back on the BoD.

They want to make rules in minors to get every kid pitching that wants to pitch....I say that’s a coaching problem, not a problem that we need to make rules to fix.

I also believe this will require a waiver, not a simple bylaw change.

Opinions please.

>>MINORS By-Law changes/Additions
Minors Baseball is considered an instructional league and should be coached accordingly; players shall be provided instructions and taught to play more than one defensive position. All players should receive equal playing time and will play multiple positions within a game with at least one inning in the infield. The team on defense will have no more than 6 players in the infield and must have a catcher with regulation gear and a pitcher standing at the mound, and up to 3 players will play in the outfield.
Pitching:
1) No pitcher can pitch more than one (1) time without every other player on the team getting a chance to pitch.
a. Definition of a chance to pitch, is a player pitching to at least 1 batter to the completion of that at bat, or a verbal decline to pitch from the player to the umpire or official score keeper which will then be logged as that players chance to pitch.
2) If a Manager pitches a player more than once without giving all other players an opportunity to pitch the 1st time will be a warning and loss of one (1) Adult base coach for 1 game. 2nd time will be an ejection and 1 game suspension of the manager as well as a meeting with the board. 3RD time the Manager will be brought to the board for further disciplinary action up to removal from the league

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:53 PM

Not a fan of this line either.

“The team on defense will have no more than 6 players in the infield and must have a catcher with regulation gear and a pitcher standing at the mound, and up to 3 players will play in the outfield.”

Takes away a few shifts.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:53 PM

As the saying goes, Local Rules are made by Fools!

Actually, restricting pitchers to pitching LESS than what the rules allow, especially in minors, does not require a Waiver.
That said, making a rule that every kid has to pitch is, in my opinion, crazy.
It's tough enough in minors to find three/maybe four kids that can throw strikes, mandating all 12 kids pitch is nuts!

Basically the kids that can't pitch are going to pitch to one batter. Trot little Jimmy out to the mound, let him throw four balls then take him out. That should really make him feel good.

Of course with minors and a five run limit the manager can just take the worst 8-9 pitchers and let each of them pitch to one batter each in the first inning. With mostly walks you'd give up 4-5 runs but now your real pitchers can pitch!
By the way, how long would it take for 8 pitching changes in one inning?

Be careful what you wish for!
Good Luck

I also don't like mandating all players play one inning in the infield, for some kids that can be a Safety Issue. Heaven forbid a player gets seriously injured.

Equal playing time can be difficult, I know leagues that mandate 9 defensive outs rather than 6, that's easier to track/enforce.

#4 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:29 AM

Agree that minors is an instructional league - but this is overstepping the role of 'rules'.   Some players just don't want to pitch.  Others simply cannot throw strikes.  How about a simple manager training and written guide which states:

Minors Baseball is considered an instructional league and should be coached accordingly

1) Players shall be provided instructions and taught to play multiple defensive positions.

2) Each player shall be positioned for approximately the same number of innings in the infield per game, and similarly in the outfield per game.

3) A players who arrives prior to the start of game shall sit out no more than two defensive innings per game.

4) All batting is continuous order and the player 'on deck' during the last at-bat should be the first batter of the following game.

5) Each pitcher may only pitch two innings per game and all players should be encouraged to try to pitch

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

I hate any local rules that are made to make coaches do the right thing, in this case give kids more opportunities to pitch....We need to either teach our coaches better or find new ones.

I’m a no vote on the above but I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority so I’m looking for a compromise to bring to the next meeting.

Something along the lines of....Every kid that wants to pitch will be giving a minimum of one opportunity to pitch once in the first half of the season and once in the second half.

We would need a process for a kid to decline their opportunity or even the coach to claim safety risk

We would need to define opportunity so it’s not just to one batter and done.....20 pitches...two walks...or five batters....what ever comes first..?

..and we would need to define punishment for coaches...First half rule violation, sit out x amount of games....Second half violation, don’t come back next year (hard to enforce with different boards each year) ...or maybe can’t manage or coach tournament play..?

Thanks for all replies and help.

#6 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

It is not for the Board to decide placement of players on the field.  It is up to the Board to select Managers that are willing to manage the team, select coaches, and teach the players.

As a former Manager of 14 teams over 10 years I worked long hours to train and develop players' skills.  My throwing warm-ups included all levels of close tossing, then backing up and twisting the body in certain positions to mimic throws on the field, then backing up as a fielder receiving a grounder and transitioning to a throw, then at the distance of a pitcher throwing the ball like a pitcher (but not at full velocity), then continuing back to long toss, then moving in on the run catching and throwing.  That was just warm-up and everyone did it so they learned the pitching mechanics.

I had players that wanted to pitch that frankly could not throw the ball to another player on the field, let alone over the plate.  I worked with player parents outside of practice with my boys as catchers to teach the entry level skills of a pitcher.  How to hold the ball that works for them, how to stand, how to move your feet, move the arms, stride, plant, release, etc.  My counterparts from other teams complained that I always had too many pitchers, but they later admitted that some of my pitchers did not tryout very well, but learned over time.

I had many players over the years that said they did NOT want to pitch, and their parents were fine with it.  I still worked with them on the mechanics and almost all of them actually pitched for our teams and did fine.  One player I remember very well was scared to death.  He turned out to be an awesome closer, pitching one inning each time to perfection to close out several games.  Ultimately I got him to be a starting pitcher and he did great. It can be done, but the training takes time and effort.  Not a directive from the Board.

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:36 AM

Increase MPR to 9 defensive outs.

Pitching
Managers should train all players who express an interest in pitching. No player should pitch in a game until he/she can throw strikes fairly consistently. It is expected that with additional training most/all pitchers should be able to throw strikes by mid-season.
Each pitcher in each game is limited to their max pitches allowed or three innings whichever comes first.
No pitcher can pitch in two/three (you pick one) games in a row.

Fielding
Managers are encouraged to play each player in both the infield and outfield each game. Exception: players deemed to be a safety hazard should not play the infield until additional fielding instruction is provided.
It is expected that with the additional instruction most/all players will be capable of playing in the infield by mid-season.

I suggest doing a few internet searches on minor league local rules, there are plenty of them out there that you could use for ideas.

Good Luck

#8 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

For what its worth, the local rules we use for participation in Minors are as follows.  We also limit pitch count to 50 in the early part of the season. 

BATTING. Continuous Batting order shall be employed for all regular- and postseason play.

FIELD PLAY. Each player in attendance for the full game must play three innings in the field at a defensive position during a full six-inning game. When the home team wins in 5 1/2 innings, each of the visiting team players must have played at least two innings in the field. When a game ends due to time limit after 5 innings, all players on both teams must have played at least two innings in the field. The innings need not be consecutive. PENALTY for violation: each affected player shall play all defensive innings in the next game attended.

#9 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

So Jeremy, what happened?
What does your BOD Approved Local Rule say?

#10 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:39 AM

It looks like we are going with advice I got from here.

50 pitches regardless of age or three innings, what ever comes first.

We will revisit it mid season.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users