5 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:29 PM

“NOTE 1: The on-deck position is not permitted in Little League (Major) Division and below.

A.R. - Fenced-in areas MAY NOT be used for an on-deck batter.
NOTE 2: Only the first batter of each half-inning will be permitted outside the dugout between half-innings in Little League (Major) Division and below.
A.R. - The next batter should be ready with a helmet on, but may not pick up a bat until it is his/her turn at bat.

Excerpt From: Little League. “2019 Little League Baseball® Official Regulations, Playing Rules, and Operating Policies.” Apple Books. 

So we interpret this as:

Players are not permitted to take practice swings in between innings and/or while the pitcher is warming up. Got a couple of presidents from other leagues saying that while players are switching sides, the player due up can come out of the dugout and swing away. Because it is their turn at bat, they are not "on-deck."

Several of our board members, mostly ones coaching teams, agree with free swings idea.

How do other league see it?

#2 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:59 AM

Our league generally allows the player due up to come out of the dugout and swing, both during pitcher warmup (new pitcher) and between innings.  The player is "up" - and not "on deck" at this point.  From a safety perspective it makes sense as long as the player has a clear space around him/her and is not in a throwing lane of the defense warming up.  

The rule IMO is designed to prevent a batter from swinging on deck while another batter is "at bat" and could foul a ball at the "on deck" batter.  Our LL fields also have much less foul territory than a full-size field, so the "on deck" batter would tend to be closer to the "at bat" batter.  

• rsnyder6 likes this

#3 JM Lugo

JM Lugo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

Our league allows only the player due up to take practice swings between innings or when a new pitcher is warming up.
New managers usually have 3 batters doing this between innings and have to be told that only the batter due up is allowed to have practicing swings
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#4 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

Read Note 2.   The first batter is allowed out. 

• rsnyder6 likes this

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:37 AM

Agree, the first batter due up that half inning (and only the first batter) is allowed outside the dugout, in foul territory, off to the side, and can swing the bat.
Similarly, if a pitching change is being made the batter due up is allowed to do the same.

No on-deck position means the next batter is not allowed outside the dugout while the current batter is batting.
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:50 PM

Thanks.  The language was put in our safety plan sometime before my tenure.

I went through the plan and updated a bit of it  when I became safety officer,  but every year I go though again and update it. I think I must have missed this before. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users