8 replies to this topic

#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:56 PM

Now is the time for DAs to submit proposed Rule/Regulation changes for the 2020 Regional Roundtables.
If you have a good idea Post it here so that other DAs might also submit it. The more that submit the same item the more likely it will make the Agenda.

Malicious Contact:
By a runner: ball is dead, runner is out and ejected. If the runner had scored on the play the run does not count. Other runner(s) return to last acquired base(s).
By a fielder: ball is dead, fielder is ejected. Runner and all other runners are awarded one base from their previously acquired base.
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#2 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

Now is the time for DAs to submit proposed Rule/Regulation changes for the 2020 Regional Roundtables.
If you have a good idea Post it here so that other DAs might also submit it. The more that submit the same item the more likely it will make the Agenda.

Malicious Contact:
By a runner: ball is dead, runner is out and ejected. If the runner had scored on the play the run does not count. Other runner(s) return to last acquired base(s).
By a fielder: ball is dead, fielder is ejected. Runner and all other runners are awarded one base from their previously acquired base.

Need a definition of malicious contact. And I would't bet on it getting called correctly  given that too many people think any contact is illegal (like a recent topic on another board).

• amutz likes this

#3 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

Add "or sticks in" to 7.05h)  "  . . or goes over or through or sticks in a fence or backstop."

Closes a loophole.

• amutz likes this

#4 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

Need a definition of malicious contact. And I would't bet on it getting called correctly  given that too many people think any contact is illegal (like a recent topic on another board).

Malicious contact is “an act that involves excessive force with an opponent." mirror the NFHS rule.  Not perfect but its a start.

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:42 AM

OK Rich, you think we need a definition of Malicious Contact, I'll add the NFHS definition per amutz and resend my proposal to LL.

By the way Rich, in 9.01(d), what's the definition of unsportsmanlike conduct?

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:26 AM

Add "or sticks in" to 7.05h) " . . or goes over or through or sticks in a fence or backstop."

Closes a loophole.

Sounds good, I'll have my DA submit it.

-----
Update: My DA said he submitted "or becomes lodged in"

#7 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:11 AM

OK Rich, you think we need a definition of Malicious Contact, I'll add the NFHS definition per amutz and resend my proposal to LL.

By the way Rich, in 9.01(d), what's the definition of unsportsmanlike conduct?

My point was and is that once you put malicious contact, no matter how defined, into the rules it will just feed the "all contact is illegal" folks.  Joe Behemoth sliding into Pete Pipsqueak will look excessive no matter how legal it is.

I think UC is much better understood. Not perfectly perhaps, but much better.

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:25 PM

LL sent an email to All DAs that includes a "Link" to the Agenda Survey Website.
The DA puts in his information (name, state/country and District #) and then can submit proposed changes to Rules and/or Regulations.
Pretty easy to use.

DAs, this is your chance to submit proposed changes, Please take advantage of it.

#9 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:10 AM

Another one - this needs to be added

Rule 4.09(a) Comment: A run legally scored cannot be nullified
by subsequent action of the runner, such as but not limited
to an effort to return to third base in the belief that he had left