#1 JM Lugo

JM Lugo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:41 PM

Ok, so this happened to me last Friday. I was on the BU.

Seniors Division.

- 1 out

- Runner on 1B

- Batter has 1 foot out of the Batter's Box taking signals from 3B coach.

- HP Umpire behind the catcher, has his right hand out in front of him with the palm facing the pitcher, as the batter wasn't ready.

- Pitcher pitches as HPU still has his hand up.

- R1 steals 2B, the throw from F2 was not on time.

- HPU and I send R1 back to 1B.

- Offensive managers appeals the decision stating it was a "Live Ball" Situation as "Time" was never called by HPU.

- We umpires talk and hold our decision of R1 being sent back on the basis that the ball was dead due to the HPU having his hand up.

- Manager protests.

After looking at Rule 8.05 ©, I'm inclined to believe the pitcher executed a quick pitch and it should have been called a "Balk".

Also, I've never been a fan of holding the palm up to indicate to the pitcher not to pitch. Does that really imply a "dead ball" situation?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

As the inning progressed, R1 stole, 2B, 3B and Home.

The protesting team lost the game under the Mercy Rule...

• Jeremy likes this

#2 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:41 AM

Even though some schools of thought, (i.e. pro school) don't recognize the hand up as a proper mechanic, many umpires will use the hand up signifying a dead ball situation and a stoppage of play. Most everyone understands if the hand is up, the ball is dead. If you do use it, make sure you put the ball back in play each time. I use it sometimes, especially at the majors level. I don't have to use it as much at the HS levels. I don't have an issue with people using it, as long as the ball is put back in play. What I don't like is umpires who use it for nearly every pitch. Most of the time you shouldn't have to use it, but it can be helpful on occasion.

What I'm curious about is how the pitcher was able to throw the pitch. PU should have been focused on the pitcher and when the kid started his motion, the PU should have come up big calling "No pitch, no pitch!" Try to kill it immediately, don't let the pitcher pitch in that situation if at all possible. Not sure how the kid was able to pitch and the catcher was able to throw down. No way should any of that happened, maybe the pitch, but certainly not the throw down. Did the PU just stand there? Sounds like some game management issues.

Basically, if the PU has his hand up, play is dead, nothing should happen. I would not call it a quick pitch. Try to keep the ball live as much as possible.

• Jeremy and amutz like this

#3 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:02 PM

Ok, so this happened to me last Friday. I was on the BU.

Seniors Division.

- 1 out

- Runner on 1B

- Batter has 1 foot out of the Batter's Box taking signals from 3B coach.

- HP Umpire behind the catcher, has his right hand out in front of him with the palm facing the pitcher, as the batter wasn't ready.

- Pitcher pitches as HPU still has his hand up.

- R1 steals 2B, the throw from F2 was not on time.

- HPU and I send R1 back to 1B.

- Offensive managers appeals the decision stating it was a "Live Ball" Situation as "Time" was never called by HPU.

- We umpires talk and hold our decision of R1 being sent back on the basis that the ball was dead due to the HPU having his hand up.

- Manager protests.

After looking at Rule 8.05 ©, I'm inclined to believe the pitcher executed a quick pitch and it should have been called a "Balk".

Also, I've never been a fan of holding the palm up to indicate to the pitcher not to pitch. Does that really imply a "dead ball" situation?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

As the inning progressed, R1 stole, 2B, 3B and Home.

The protesting team lost the game under the Mercy Rule...

Hand up is time. Ball is dead.

• Jeremy and amutz like this

#4 JM Lugo

JM Lugo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

Understood.
Thanks!