6 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:37 AM

I always have more questions. This an easy one.

Do leagues do anything different to take into account the different SB and BB age cutoffs? Or do you just go straight by the book without a general adjustment?

Not an issue going from BB to SB to stay, which is most common for us SB only goes down to 7, but if you are moving a 9-10 girl to BB, she could end up in 11-12. (Which just happened.)

And 3 turning 4-year-old girls would not be eligible for SB, but are eligible for BB. (Girls mature earlier than boys, so that seems backwards at that age.).

Is there a reason for the difference? Are we overthinking it?
  • Jeremy likes this

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

The difference in age cut-off dates can cause problems for girls moving from BB to SB or vice-versa. Luckily these are isolated cases.

My advice, go "by the book", that is, the age cutoffs are for girls and boys not for Softball and Baseball.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

"My advice, go "by the book", that is, the age cutoffs are for girls and boys not for Softball and Baseball. "

Interesting, I always read it as being for Baseball and Softball, not girls and boys.

I really wish that both cut-offs were Dec. 31st, like they were for that one year a few years back.

And I am always explaining why Little League goes by ages, not grades as many other (non-national) sports do.

"

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

You are correct, cutoffs are for Softball and Baseball, had a brain [email protected]! It happens! :)
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#5 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

:lol:   You had me convinced. 

Thanks.

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

Still results in age problems for girls that move from SB to BB and vice-versa.
Don't have problems with boys since no one has boys SB! :)

#7 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

We don't have a lot of switching to of from SB, mostly the age we start offering both. We never have enough girls for the youngest divisions.

Did get one parent wanted SB for her son this fall, but that is because she wanted a softer ball. She was happy with the t-balls we use.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users