2 replies to this topic

#1 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

We run a Fall season which is pretty much the same as the Spring season, with reduced numbers, relaxed age groupings and more emphasis put on development.  There are formal teams, a formal game schedule, formal practice schedules.  Just no post season.  Kids are encouraged to play the level they would be next year, but it's not required.

Anyway, in my two years of being PA, we have only had 1 Majors team.  This Fall we will have 2.  I split up the two teams myself, doing my best to take into account prior teams and requests and things like that. 

Now after the teams are released, one parent comes back to me to request a team switch because a parent on the other team is her carpool buddy to practices.

On one hand, it's easy to just pick another kid of a comparable age to switch him with and just notify the parent that they have been moved.  On the other hand, this parent has never, not once, requested that her kid be with the carpool buddy.  I want to say no and tell her that there will always be lots of people she could arrange a carpool with and that's definitely what I would do in the Spring and have done, but the Fall.....

Not too sure how to handle this now. 

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,187 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

I'd ask the manager of the other team if he had a player that would like to switch teams.
If the answer is no, then tell the mother sorry, she should have made the request earlier, before the teams were formed.
As you said, the mother/player should be able to find someone on the team to carpool with.
  • Jeremy and rsnyder6 like this

#3 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

Well, this has blown up in my face.  I would say that about a third of the one team would rather be on the other team and some are threatening to leave the league if I don't move their kid.  Their kid is just that unhappy.

If I had taken everyone's requests into account, I'd have teams of something like 16 and 6.  This is majors.

In retrospect, I should have drafted.  By the time I realized that, it was too late to draft.  If I had drafted, I'd have all the same problems I have now, but at least then I'd be to fall back on the old "...sorry...draft".

I know, I know, don't let the inmates run the asylum.  A little bit different in Fall Ball though.

Obviously, we need to decide if it is worth keeping this one parent as manager in future if so many parents would rather leave the league than be coached by him.  That doesn't help me for this season though.  He donates a lot to the league and his restaurant is the venue for our annual fundraiser.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users