#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

From a LL Umpires page on Facebook:

"We had a good one yesterday. As Game Director, I observed a manager take out the pitcher at 23 pitches with a batter still at bat with 3-2 count. The pitcher started at 18 when the batter came up to bat. The manager was not happy when I told him later when signing the tournament book that his pitcher needed one days rest. Know the rules guy. Maybe if more managers would umpire and or attend umpire clinics/schools they would know the rules."

The explanation given:

"The batter was not put out, did not reach base or the third out not made. Not eligible for threshold rule."

Not my reading of it, but some agreed.

#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

Apparently they called the ER and said that was 100% correct (after the game, not during a protest).

Manager should've protested all the way to WP because that is ridiculous.

Literally says in the end of that rule that "the pitcher will only be required to observe the calendar day(s) of rest for the threshold he/she has reached during the time at-bat, provided that pitcher is removed or the game is completed before delivering a pitch to another batter.”
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:57 PM

I agree, it seems absurd. Makes no sense.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:29 AM

First, what kind of manager would take a pitcher out with a 3-2 count unless the kid was ill or injured, stupid move.

So, back to the rule, no one ever accused 'LL of writing great rules.
That said, the rule is the rule.

If the manager had Protested and it went all the way to Williamsport the ruling would depend on which Janitor answered the phone! :)

It would be interesting, a manager "Protesting" the ruling of a TD after the game.

UPDATE: I talked to "one" of the Janitors and he said he would rule the kid does not need a days rest. He said the "intent" of the Rule is to allow a pitcher to pitch to the one batter that puts him over the threshold. Since the pitcher did not throw a pitch to the next batter he said the threshold rule applies.
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users