6 replies to this topic

#1 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

We have enough kids for an All Stars team and the manager is willing to take the team to All Stars, but his two coaches are not reliably present.  One is only available on weekends and the other can't commit to it all either.  We only have one 50/70 team to draw from.

What are my options as player agent?

On other problem is our manager has three other kids who are younger and his wife works late.  Apparently he has asked his other parents for help watching his kids while he is managing his team and none of them have stepped up.  Ridiculous.  Though admittedly one of them is high-functioning autistic and a bit of a handful.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,187 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:50 AM

Managers/coaches for 50/70 must come from the 50/70 division.
It's past June 1 but I'd ask for a Waiver. Explain you only have one team with a manager and two coaches and the coaches are not available for All Stars. Ask for approval of coaches from majors and/or juniors.

As for the "baby-sitting", explain to the parents without their help he can't manage and without a manager there is no team. So, they either help or their kids don't get to play All Stars.

Good Luck

#3 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

Thanks.

Ultimately, between the president, the vp and the manager, it was decided that we couldn't make this team fly this year.  Our manager just has too many balls in the air during that particular time period.

Now if we had made it to that point earlier than the day before the deadline to enroll, maybe we would have had time to find a solution.  But that is a rant for another day.  :)

It is exceptionally hard to field all star teams in a league that has only one team in each division above minors (incl all of Softball).

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

You need to think about Combining.
If you only have one team per division then you are obviously Inter-Leaguing with other local/neighboring leagues.
If you can't field a team of your own then Combine with another league, at least that way some of your kids will get to experience playing in the Tournament.
We have some small leagues that Combine just about every year.

#5 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:07 AM

Oh heck yeah.  Don't think I don't know that.  That deadline was over 2 weeks ago.  That ship has sailed.

I couldn't even get anyone to respond to me by then much less start collecting names.

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

I was talking about next season!
We talk about Combined All Star teams at our District Presidents' Meeting all year long.
That way, when the time comes (late May) the leagues already know who's Combining in what.

You need to get your President to start these discussions early. With only one team per division you need to Combine!

#7 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Oh next year.

Yes I know.  I know what should have happened and therefore what should happen next year (though we were denied our one combined request last year for stupid reasons, I have my doubts we'd be approved this year).

And we did start talking about this a while ago.  Made no difference.

I'm trying something new next year.  If it doesn't achieve better results, I'll try something new again.

The timing of it all is really tricky in the north.  Regular season has barely started before we need to start organizing all stars teams.  It makes it tough to get the mindset changed so fast.  And in two years I have not been successful yet.  It also doesn't make sense to me to have the combined teams deadline 2 weeks before the enrollment deadline.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users