#1 JM Lugo

JM Lugo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

Do any of your Leagues have a UIC Consultant?

Meaning, someone who is not a member of the BOD but runs the umpire program for the League?

I ask because my League wants me to rejoin the BOD as their UIC again, however, due to the sheer amount of time that I will be spending at the fields, either umpiring or supervising the umpires or being on call to umpire incase a scheduled umpire cant make (usually 4 out of the 6 days we have games umpired), I don't think I should stand BOD Duty.

The Board feels that all members are equal and all should stand duty.

I am exploring the idea of proposing the UIC Consultant.

Any thoughts?

#2 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

We make exceptions for some board member from Board Member of Duty, or Board Member of the Day.

Our legal advisor for one, who has trouble getting around. I don't sign up for slots, but tend to fill empty ones, (and for one reason or another have been there all season except for 4-5 days anyway, though I can leave early if someone else is there).

Of course, getting some member to show up for the whole time has always been an issue. 

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

UIC is not a required Board position but it is required to have one for your Protest Committee.
I'd propose to your Board that you would serve as the UIC as long as you do not have to be on the Board.
Take it or leave it! B)

#4 JM Lugo

JM Lugo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

Lou,

That's exactly what Im going to do.

I know all Board members sacrifice time, but the UIC, if done correctly, sacrifices more.

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

The local LL Board does not require the President or UIC to have "Board Member On Duty" assignments, they are both there most days/nights already.

Fifteen Board Members means the other 13 rotate being "On Duty".

It's a pretty large complex with multiple Softball fields on one side and multiple Baseball fields on the other (7 fields total).

As for BOD on Duty, there are two each night Mon - Friday, one on the Softball side and one on the Baseball side (6:00-10:00), that's 10 slots.
On Saturday, one on the Softball side (9:00 - 1:00) and two on the Baseball side (one from 9:00 - 1:00 and one from 1:00 - 5:00), that's 3 slots.
Thirteen slots for 13 Board Members.

Some like the same slot every week, some like to swap around. Either is fine as long as all 13 slots are covered.
Names are Posted each week on the league Website and also on the Bulletin Boards at the Concession Stands (SB and BB sides).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users