8 replies to this topic

#1 RB56

RB56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

Not a Little League affiliated organization, but a nearby PONY league posted the following:

"Secondly, after feedback from parents, coaches, and players, the Board of Directors has decided to overturn the USA Bat rule that was implemented in spring 2018.  For many reasons, we feel that these bats didn't provide the kids with a better overall baseball experience.  I reached out to PONY Baseball (PONY is the organization that ____ conforms to and functions under) and spoke to the Vice President of the Northern Region.  He informed me that all PONY rules and regulations are only strictly enforced for tournament play.  As of now, ____ does not participate in any district, regional or national tournaments.  Therefore, we can adjust or alter any PONY rules and regulations as long as we don't compromise the safety of the children."

Wasn't "safety" one of the reasons for implementing the bat rules last season?  Has this organization opened up legal issues, should an injury from a batted ball occur?  Anything preventing a Little League affiliated organization from a similar approach?

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

If a child is injured by a ball hit by a "non-USA standard bat" can you spell lawsuit!

The Bat Standard is for "safety", I'm surprised PONY would say their rules only apply/are only enforced during Tournaments.
  • amutz likes this

#3 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

That has lawsuit written all over it.
And nowadays where everything is about liability I'm shocked a league would make that switch and I'm sure PONY would disapprove having their name on that league.

#4 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:33 PM

So PONY signed on to the standards, but is saying they don't matter?

I wonder if someone from the organization really did say that. If they did, not an organization that I would want to be affiliated with.

I know people complain sometimes, but I am glad LL tries to enforce rules about safety.

#5 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

"In conjunction with USA Baseball and its other participating national member organizations, PONY Baseball adopted the USA Baseball bat standard (USABat) on January 1, 2018. Except for -3 (BBCOR certified), all other 2 1/4" and 2 5/8" barrel bats with a minus factor of (-5, -7, -9, etc.), must be USABat certified with the USABat licensing stamp on the bat in order to be used for league and tournament play."

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:56 PM

The Vice President of the Northern Region of PONY stated that all PONY Rules and Regulations are only enforced for Tournament Play, are you kidding me!

Years ago I was the President of a PONY League in West-Central Florida and I can tell you that that was NOT their philosophy back then.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#7 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

Anyone else getting better results with the USABat bats this year? 

We're seeing a few more long balls so anecdotally seems the manufacturers have been able to at least expand the sweet spot.

#8 Gator Y

Gator Y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

It is hard to tell. Last year the only two homeruns on a 200’ fence were by 12Yo 7th graders (grandfathered kids by Little League).

Conversely there are no summer 13’s pitching this year the pitching is not as strong. So we have true 6th grade 12Yo now. Our sense is no one will hit the fence with a USA bat

So basically Little League is about 4 months younger and most kids haven’t hit puberty yet. Hard to tell if it is the bats or just younger kids
  • amutz and awu like this

#9 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

I was the TD at one of the parks for our Major BB Mid-Season Tournament last weekend.
Four games Friday night and eight on Saturday, three homers, two by the same kid.

The playoffs were at a different park but I heard that on Sunday in the two Semi-Finals there was one homer and another homer in the Finals.

That's five homers in fifteen games.

If I remember correctly there were two last year, one in the Final game.
  • amutz likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users