5 replies to this topic

#1 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

How does everyone handle the multitude of teammate and manager requests in drafted divisions?
It's driving me nuts.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,187 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:21 PM

"multitude" of teammate and manager requests - how many do you get?

The answer is pretty simple, it's a drafted division so, in essence, it's up to the managers!
Our Player Agent informs all of the managers of all of the player/parent requests prior to the draft.
At that point it's up to each manager who he/she picks or does not pick.

As I've said before, parent requests are just that, requests.
You can't force a manager to draft a player and you can't assign a player to a manager because of a parent request.

Don't let the inmates run the asylum! B)
Again, one of the major problems with requests is that if you have a lot of them and you honor all of them you could easily end up with a stacked team.
  • Ron likes this

#3 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

No, no.  I'm not letting them run the asylum (by the way, I have started using that expression too). 

What you have described is what I am doing too. 

This is only my second year of player agenting, but it feels that there are more requests this year than last.

But it's bugging me and making me wish I could outright say NO, without incurring any wrath from parents.

We are small and only draft in our two minor baseball divisions.  But I would estimate that about 1/3 of them have put forth requests for either teammates or coaches.  Funnily enough, though I guess it makes sense, the lower division coming from Tee Ball is mostly teammate requests, the upper division is mostly manager requests.

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:14 AM

At some point it is okay to tell people "no".  I know they are not used to it, but it makes for less of a headache for you.  Explain the process to them.  Most people are fine with a fair system.  

If they still want to put in their request, then place a garbage can in a conspicuous location with a box on top of it for "requests".  The bottom of the box is open so the requests go where they belong.  :)

#5 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

And honestly, after a year or two of denying all requests, people will get the idea and in future years you'll get a lot less.

It usually happens a lot more in minors because rookies/farm/ t-ball are filled with requests and some of the younger parents who haven't gone through it before think it's the same going up. Just telling them that it's a drafted division and we don't take requests solves probably 80%. By majors, this usually isn't even an issue at all.

Years ago (when I played) our league was very request heavy even in the upper divisions and for the most part it ruined a lot of the competitiveness. The PA before me put an end to that and I kept it going.

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

This is our statement, which is repeated on the online registration form:

There are PLAYER AGENTS for each division that bear the ultimate responsibility for making teams.  All players will be placed in the appropriate age group. Requests are welcomed in age groups 4-8, but NOT GUARANTEED.  Due to the limits of the number of players on a team, and multiple requests, it is not always possible to accommodate all requests.

Players for teams league age 9  and above are chosen through a draft, and team managers choose the players for their teams. The draft is done to try to make teams that are balanced and help games to be competitive.  Requests to be placed on specific team can not be honored.

Part of the fun of Little League is making new friends and bonding as a team. Occasionally requests are made to have players of different ages play together, however in trying to structure fair, safe, and fun divisions, this is usually not possible.

That said, I do ask coaches to try and match up car pool requests, particularly if they are picking kids that are interchangeable with others. (You know, the kids that are rounding out their teams) It really helps some parents, especially single parent households.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users