#1 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

Our league has shrunk 50% in the last 5 years (to under 600), but we are still managing two Charters.
We would like to drop (or mothball) one of our Charters.

Has anyone done this and have guidance?

It would be significantly less administrative overhead.
The Charters share a single town/geography.
We don't have any operational 'advantage' to running two Charters.

#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

I have heard of small leagues (less than 200 kids) having trouble combining charters, but I've also heard of bigger leagues (like yours) having no problem going down to 1 charter. Really all depends how you pitch it and how Willy P is feeling that day when they review your information.

The top league in our district (and one of the best in NJ) consolidated a couple of years ago after trying for 2 or 3 years. They used to have 8 majors teams in each charter, but went down to 4 in each. Now they only have 6 or 7 teams total. I think WP made them wait a couple of years to see if their numbers went back up and possibly also to prevent combining just for tournament play for that year. After 2 or 3 years they finally got approval to combine back down to a single charter. Numbers at the younger levels just continued to dwindle.

Good luck. 

• amutz likes this

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

We have been trying for years to combine three charters with no luck. We were down to 500, though we are back up to over 600. We have 80 players this year between all three in Majors. (140 in what we call minors, 9-10)

Three charters were fine when we had 2000 players. One charter gives us only 80-110 players all ages these days.

We keep getting told it is our population.

It would be nice to go down to at most two charters.

Two leagues in our district combined last year, and now are bigger than us.

What Plesh says seems true. Flip of the coin maybe.

But, we will keep trying. Good luck.

#4 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

I'm jealous. I am fighting to keep 1 (ONE!) Majors team and I'll even have to co-roster some from 50/70 to do it.
We just lose more and more players every year.

#5 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

I'll update on how it goes.    It does seem hard to predict.  The tough and sad part is that we are hosting our district's 12s tournament and as currently chartered I very much doubt we will be able to field two teams into the tournament we are hosting. 

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:24 AM

I looked back. At one time we seemed to have just under 2300 players, three charters. 

We ended up this year with about 640, (and a few on the waitlist). That is up about 25% from a few years ago.

We are getting calls from people since a local church league canceled part of all of its season yesterday, but we can't take them all at this point.

Nice to be growing, but were given the idea that this would hurt our request to reduce charters from three. Oh well.

The good thing is fundraising is really up and it is possible we will be able to put in another turf field. 

• amutz likes this

#7 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:36 AM

Three charters for 600 kids definitely seems excessive.
How do you manage Allstar teams for three?

#8 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

They have let us combine two charters for play recently.

Even then, we had no 10 year old team, and only one 11 year old. 

#9 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:42 PM

We are in similar situation with neither league alone likely to field either a 10s or 11s team.
If we combine I think we can field all three ages.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#10 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

And what really stinks is to tell kids in one charter that they can not play on the one team you do field at a certain age. (I know combined teams etc., but you don't always know what is going to happen before the season starts.)

#11 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,132 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:34 PM

rsnyder6: 640 and a few on the waitlist

Did those on the waitlist register on time of are they late registrations?

I hate putting kids that registered on time on a waiting list, it's unfair (in MY opinion).

#12 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:26 PM

We have a Register By Date of March first to avoid a late fee.
Unlike a lot of leagues in the area, we don't close registration at that point and waitlist everyone who comes in after.

While trying to encourage people to register early, we try to never turn away anyone.
But a couple of weeks after the teams are formed, (opening day is Sat) we just can't add new people in divisions where every team is full.
I'm maxed on in Minors for example, though I just lost a kid with a broken wrist (not from baseball), so I took one from the waitlist.

We only have 7 waitlisted on all divisions SB & BB.
The one who registered the earliest registered 3/31.

This is more work for the directors, but we try to include everyone possible. Some of the other leagues think we are crazy.

We also say there is a late fee, but don't start charging it until a week or two later.
We don't want the money, we want people to register early.

#13 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

We've never charged anyone a late fee. We just use it so people don't wait to sign up last minute.

Also, in recent memory, we've only turned away 1 kid for signing up late. It was the end of May and a really good pitcher wanted to sign up for Seniors with only 3 games left. We were doing a little 3 team playoff so we said it's unfair to the other two teams if this player signs up just for their mini-tournament.

Otherwise, I don't think we've ever waitlisted or turned another player away. We're always desperate for kids so I couldn't imagine doing that in general.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#14 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

Our request to combine our two charters was approved!
Our league has always run a two-divisional structure with a single board and region, so perhaps that made it easier for W'port to approve.
The kind support of our DA was critical.
The happy net result - it'll let us field an Allstar group at each age. As separate leagues we wouldn't have had enough kids to do that.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#15 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,132 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

Congrats and best of luck.
Maybe LL is finally getting some common sense about this kind of stuff.
  • amutz likes this

#16 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

Congrats.
Sounds like you guys are doing it for the right reasons so I'm happy to hear LL approved the request.
  • amutz likes this

#17 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words; we're very glad this was approved.  While there are a couple of coaches who are excited about an Allstar team being 'better' - I'm just relieved we will HAVE Allstar teams this year.   

The NEXT question - I am required to present an updated map - a task which apparently didn't get completed for quite some years.  I hacked away with Google Maps to build one but it was an hours-long painful exercise.  It WORKS but no fun.  Does anyone have easy to use digital mapping tools for creating a boundary map?

#18 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:02 AM

I’ve been looking for a mapping tool I used for something similar years ago, but was never able to find it. I ended up using the street list and making it by hand. It took a while, but at least I should not have to do it again.

Two baseball organizations within our boundaries had to cancel divisions, (they could not even fill two teams) and we brought in a number of players. We maxed out 7-8s and 9-10s at 15 on a team, (which made the managers complain, though some teams still have to borrow players). Unfortunately the younger kids didn’t bring any coaches along We ended up at over 670 players, were up two a couple years ago we were hovering around 500.

However, we were just turned down for combined teams in the Tournament ( they were approved for the regular season). I think we will try again to combine at the two smaller charters for the Tournament. With 29, 24, and 38 11-12s per charter, it would be hard to field teams in all three charters unless we go very young and don’t do any 10 year old team (we didn’t last year). Yea, I know some leagues are smaller.

We will look again at joining the two smaller charters, though when we were only getting 8-10 majors from one, it would have been easier. But it is good to be growing. I would rather get more kids and stay as we are, than get fewer numbers and fewer charters.
  • amutz likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users