7 replies to this topic

#1 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:03 AM

Alright folks, another question from me.  My googling is getting me nowhere.

In Minor AAA, where each team is scrapped after the season, and drafted fully the next, how do I handle it if a parent specifically requests that their child not be with a certain manager?

We always get requests for managers and I have a general script I follow to answer those, but this is the first time I have a request to not have a specific manager.  I'm relatively new to my role.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

It's minors, if the parent has a justifiable reason for not wanting a child on a certain manager's team why not honor it?

We try to honor parent requests in minors but there are times when the answer is sorry, but no can do!

As long as the requests don't result in a stacked team/unbalanced teams, what's the harm?

#3 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

But they go through a draft, so it's mostly out of my control as player agent.

When someone requests a manager, I usually say that it is a drafted division, so I can't promise anything, but we will do our best.  And then I will mention the requests upfront at the draft to the managers and then they can come to whatever agreement they want to between them.  The "gentleman's agreement" that is frowned upon.

I think I would take the same approach higher than minors too, if we ever have more than one team in any given division again.

I think I have decided in this particular case to say "John Doe is open to changing managers" if the manager in question tries to include him in the "gentleman's agreement".

My impression is not that the family has a problem with this particular manager, but that they've been with him for a while and want to try someone new.  That's an impression only.

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:08 PM

My league did something confidential at first, but open if the issue arose.  It was handled like this. 

The parent made a request to the president.  If it was justified, then at the beginning of the draft the President (who always attended) stated:  We have a situation whereby a player's parent requested that her son not be placed with a a certain Manager.  I am not giving the name of the player or the manager at this time.  If the Manager selects that player, then we will discuss it. 

Most years do not have this problem.  Two separate years we had a parent notification, but the manager did NOT select the player, so it was not discussed.  One year the manager drafted that player.  The Manager and the President discussed it in private.  With the consensus of the other Managers the selecting manager had offered to draft a different player.  The draft resumed and concluded.  As far as I know, nobody outside the draft knew what was happening.

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

As a sidenote, if the family wants to try a different Manager and doesn't have a problem with a Manager, talk to the Manager!  A good Manager will be receptive of the parents desires for their child.

I was a manager for both my boys for about 14 teams.  I had a few that I drafted for years. At the end of EVERY season I personally asked every family if they wanted me to draft their son the following year (assuming I am a Manager). I told them to be honest with me because they will NOT hurt my feelings.  I only want what is best for their son.

Over the years i only had a handful that stated they wanted to try someone new for variety, but loved how I taught them baseball and life lessons. I never had anyone say they did not want me to select their son.  Each of those that wanted a different manager came back wishing I drafted their son because they were not happy with "Little Johnnie" being stuck in the outfield.  But it is a learning lesson for everyone. 

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:17 PM

"As a sidenote, if the family wants to try a different Manager and doesn't have a problem with a Manager, talk to the Manager!"

If it is really amicable. Sometimes they don't care for the manager, but don't want to tell him.

Last spring we have a coach pick the same kid first pick for the third year in a row, and the parents asked their kid not play with him each year. (The coach that wanted him always drafted later.) This year there was a deal struck for a trade that seemed to make everyone happy.

#7 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

My statement was conditioned on working cooperative and amicably with the Manager.  I get that some managers are jerks.

The biggest problem today is people are afraid to talk it out.  Maybe I just talk too much, and I do catch people by surprise when I approach them to talk.  If there is a problem with a coach or manager they should voice it to them nicely. I don't mean telling the coach what positions to play the kids, but maybe talk about expectations, and what their player wants to learn.  A good manager will take that information in to their advantage.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#8 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:54 AM

I was always willing to speak with parents if approached correctly. (Meaning don't shout at me in the dugout that your kid is sitting the first inning when he played the entire last game at second, but you missed that game.)

And I really want parents, or even better the kids, to talk to me if there is an issue. Most of the time we can work it out.

• Ron likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users