32 replies to this topic

#21 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

The reference to Fall Ball (Second Season) answers the question what year chart to use. The same chart for the year of the "first" season. By stating "Second Season" it means it is part of, or an extension of the "first" season so you use the same chart.

Another compelling argument for using the current year age chart is that the charts state they are only good for that specific year (i.e., "only for 2018" and "only for 2019").
How hard is that to figure out?
How then can a league justify using a 2019 chart when we are currently in 2018?

I would be the father making calls to anybody and everybody in Little league if they told me my 12 year old was NOW 13 and could not play Fall Ball.

#22 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

A major reason it was changed to the end of August was to stop having 13 year olds at the LLWS.

LL was embarrassed when so many 13s were playing on TV in their "12 year old" division.

Moving the date to the end of August assures no one over 12 can play in the 10-12 Tournament.

I meant when it was moved back from December after just one year.

#23 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:22 PM

The reference to Fall Ball (Second Season) answers the question what year chart to use. The same chart for the year of the "first" season. By stating "Second Season" it means it is part of, or an extension of the "first" season so you use the same chart.

Another compelling argument for using the current year age chart is that the charts state they are only good for that specific year (i.e., "only for 2018" and "only for 2019").
How hard is that to figure out?
How then can a league justify using a 2019 chart when we are currently in 2018?

I would be the father making calls to anybody and everybody in Little league if they told me my 12 year old was NOW 13 and could not play.

But you can determine the ages within your divisions, and (with some restrictions) can move kids up or down.

Rare to find a parent that wants their kid to stay down and not play with the kids they have been playing with all along.

We may have one exception this year, a kid turning 13 in a couple months who has never played before, who may stay with the 11-12s on 60'.

#24 ofina

ofina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:32 PM

Just to clarify, it is NOT my league making this decision.
This is a District policy.
We'd prefer to use the 2018 charts, actually.

I don't know why our DA remains so adamant.
But the ADA will turn a blind eye.

Once my President says go ahead, I feel comfortable proceeding as I was going to originally.

#25 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,085 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:55 PM

rsnyder6: Click on the Link below for information on the reasons for the age changes and the "Only for 2018" and "Only for 2019" age charts.

https://www.littlele...rmination-date/

#26 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:03 AM

rsnyder6: Click on the Link below for information on the reasons for the age changes and the "Only for 2018" and "Only for 2019" age charts.

https://www.littlele...rmination-date/

Thanks, I've seen that many times. It says why the 2011 decision was made to change the age cutoff, to make the ages younger, no 13s in Williamsport.

That’s the rationale given when the moved it to December, 31st. (And I think it was a good idea).

But then they moved it back to August 31st, (where it had been, what ten years before?), without further explanation. My guess was that it matched up more closely with more school cutoffs, which the had originally said was a goal. They didn’t say that though.

While Dec 31st works better for us, the end of August is fine also. I agree with the younger divisions.

I do wish they had not moved the cutoff date in two consecutive years, that required a lot of explanation to parents.

And I wonder if they had moved they cut off for younger divisions before adding 4-year-olds, (which can now play spring and summer as 3) whether they still would have added them. (Some league around us still start at 5.)

Really doesn’t matter, I was just speculating on why the December to August move in the context of our conversation. It doesn’t change anything knowing the reason.

#27 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:05 AM

Just to clarify, it is NOT my league making this decision.
This is a District policy.
We'd prefer to use the 2018 charts, actually.

I don't know why our DA remains so adamant.
But the ADA will turn a blind eye.

Once my President says go ahead, I feel comfortable proceeding as I was going to originally.

Don't know that I would care for my District telling us that we had to do it.
I don't see why they have a say in it. (Unless there is District sanctioned Inter-League or some such in the fall.)

#28 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:30 PM

They moved it to align with most state cutoffs for school.
SK even said it on the broadcast the other day.

I like using the next year's chart, but you have to allow the 12s to play Majors one more time if they'd like.
Sure it can cause some talent/size problems, but for a lot of kids, that's the end of their baseball careers.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#29 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

They moved it to align with most state cutoffs for school.
SK even said it on the broadcast the other day.

That's what I speculated, I just never heard it officially. 

Even though it doesn't work for us, it makes sense.

#30 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

On a related note, would allowing a 2018 8 year old (2019 9 year old) to play Majors Fall Ball this year be legal? They are going to move up to Majors next spring, but what about this year?

I know most places have kids play as next year's age (and LL even recommends it), but technically Majors is only 9-12.

I'm just thinking from a liability standpoint, would we even be covered if they got hurt?

#31 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:09 PM

As you said, in Fall Ball LL allows players to move up to the division they will play in next spring.
If you allow 9s to play majors then the 8s can move up.

If you have some 12s that will be 13 next season playing in majors in Fall Ball I wouldn't move the 8s up, too much of an age difference.

#32 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:09 AM

Had a new record this fall. Parent of a six(!) year old, turns seven next March (so he'll be LA seven) wanted to move up to Majors this fall. (My previous record was a seven-year-old).

When told he could not, he reportedly told the division director that was O.K. since he had already started the season in Rookies (7-8) but expected to move up in the spring.

#33 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,085 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 PM

So, at 6 he played T-Ball or maybe Machine/Coach Pitch Minors last spring and the parents want him imMature in Fall Ball - Idiots!
Sorry mom/dad, he's got a few more years before he gets to majors, I hope you/he can wait that long!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users