Pool Players

7 replies to this topic

#1 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:56 PM

Can someone give me best practices regarding pool players?
How to form the list at the beginning of the season, how to use to the list, etc.

Can a team have more than one pool player per game?
Or only however many make 9 players total?

Do they just wear their own uniform and the manager informs the umpire and the other manager?

#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

I usually make an Excel spreadsheet and every time a kid plays I put the date next to their name. That way I go through the list and make sure everyone plays once before I ask them a second time.

You can have any number of pool players per game.
Last year I had 3 or 4 a bunch of times because of injuries.
You also aren't limited to 9 players.
If you have 8 and get 2 pool players that's fine.

They wear their own uniform.
Last year I had 5 of my players and 4 pool players all from different teams.
Looked like an old school All Star team.
Had the whole color spectrum out there that day.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

Thank you.

What is the best practice for forming the pool list at the beginning of the season?

#4 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

And does the manager just inform the umpire and the other manager at the start of the game of the pool player?

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

Two options:
1) put every kid's name on the list as they register
2) ask every kid if he/she wants to be a Pool Player and only put the names of those who say "Yes" on the list

Once the list is made the first time the PA gets asked for a Pool Player the PA calls the first kid on the list.
If he/she can play fine, if not, call the next kid, etc, etc, ...

The next time a Pool Player is requested call the kid on the list directly below where you left off the last time.
When you get to the bottom of the list go back to the top and start over.

Here is a Sample Pool Player Call Out List (it includes directions on its use):
https://www.eteamz.c...calloutlist.xls

As for how many pool players a manager is allowed, that should be described in your Local Rules.

We allow a max of 3 and you can only get as many as you need to get up to 10 players for the game (playing with 9 is risky, could be an injury or illness or ejection and then "game over").
On the other hand, if you get 4 or 5 pool players you're not really playing the game with "your" team (in my opinion).

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

>>Two options:
1) put every kids name on the list as they register
2) ask every kid if he/she wants to be a Pool Player and only put the names of those who say "Yes" on the list

I'm sure it varies, but we have had more success with #2. There are kids that never want to be called on (or more rightly, parents that don't want to be called), and it just saves time.

We ask, and recommend, going to 10, though if some players arrive late, you don't send the pool players packing, so you could end up with more.

#7 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

Thanks.

Two options:
1) put every kids name on the list as they register

If going with 2, is it best to put them on the list in the order in which they say yes? Or some other order?

How does everyone handle it if the division in question has only one team and they are short?
I think that pool players have to come from within the same division only. Correct?
So, they would have to accept a forfeit then, right?

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

If you only have one team (or maybe just two teams) you can ask for a Waiver to be allowed to use Pool Players from the next lower division.

If a managers asks for Pool Players and they are assigned by the PA and show up for the game the manager cannot send them home/not play them.
They are required to get one at-bat and play nine defensive outs.
Yes, they play in their regular team uniform (makes them easy to identify) and Yes, the manager informs the plate ump and opposing manager of the pool players at the pre-game meeting.

As for the list, put it together any way you want, in the order they said "Yes", alphabetically, random drawing of names, whatever.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users