10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:43 AM

This year my District is making all All Star managers and coaches do a concussion course, doesn’t matter if you are a doctor or EMT, if you don’t do their course you don’t manage/coach.
Is there some new rule?

I agree with the idea behind it but I think they might be going a bit too far....I’ve done concussion training for school sports and as part of my CPR/First Aid certification.

#2 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:47 AM

It has been an emphasis on it for the past few years, but it is not mandatory.

Not sure why they would have a Dr. etc. do it (unless they wanted everyone treated equally, and/or they this their managers might lie about it, but then why have them manage?).

It is not a bad idea.

#3 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

In NJ you have to do the online CDC concussion course to approved for a youth coach in any sport.
So that's part of our volunteer application at the beginning of the year.

#4 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

As our league's Safety Officer, one of the biggest gaps I've seen was concussion awareness among managers.
While they recognize a bone or joint or skin injury, they'll unknowingly put a concussed player back on the field.
I think the online training is worthwhile.
To reinforce, we also use a mobile app (HitCheck) to baseline and screen.

#5 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

It has been a big stress in our safety meetings for several years, and we provide a number of resources. The only thing we mandate is the concussion coverage we give at these meetings, (we have doctors, PT professionals, and EMTs present at these meetings), though we recommend the online course.

The managers are pretty good, and most parents also. Now and then it takes a little bit of time to get a parent to supply a Dr.'s clearance for their child. 

I'm also happy that it has been several years since I had a parent argue with me that their kid was "fine" and could go back in a game when there were concerns over a potential concussion. 

Even happier, we have not had any diagnosed concussions coming from baseball activities in several years, though we have had several players get checked out. We have had concussed baseball players that were injured in other sports, mostly soccer. 

• amutz likes this

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

To reinforce, we also use a mobile app (HitCheck) to baseline and screen.

Seems like kind of expensive for a league.

Yes, you can't put a price on safety, and I like the mobile aspect, but it could be several thousand dollars every year.

#7 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:44 PM

I feel the pricing is fair; HitCheck charges us $20/team so its under $1000/year for our league. We use it at all the levels above coach-pitch.

Seems like kind of expensive for a league.

Yes, you can't put a price on safety, and I like the mobile aspect, but it could be several thousand dollars every year.

#8 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

Do you get that many concussions each year that you need that?

#9 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

On average I'd say we have 1-2 concussions and several potential concussions per year (not all happening on the LL field).  Given the severity of outcome when a concussed player returns to play before recovery, I feel its a high priority.   If your league thinks they have never had a concussion - I wonder.  Have you ever had two players collide?  A fastball to helmet?    

For reference, our league also bought an AED (defibrillator)  for on-site use a couple years ago.   We've never needed it yet (thankfully) but it seemed like a smart precaution.  

In the interest of full disclosure, HitCheck is founded by a former LL league president (and youth football league president.)  They have defrayed our cost by sponsoring one of our teams.

#10 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:14 PM

Same for us probably. None this year, but maybe 1 or 2 each the past few years. We don't want to mess around with concussions so if anything happens we tell the parents to go to a Dr.

We have 2 AED's as well. We keep one on each end of the complex. Luckily in 7 or so years we've never had to use one.

#11 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:11 AM

I feel the pricing is fair; HitCheck charges us $20/team so its under $1000/year for our league. We use it at all the levels above coach-pitch.

That's a bit cheaper than the website which is $100 per team or 5 or more for $50 each.

I don't say it isn't fair, but not cheap. Something we will look at.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users