rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:07 AM

Interference question. In Minors.

Runner on first.

The ball is hit to F4. He goes to field the ball, but it kicks off his foot a goes a bit away. He continues after it.

After the ball kicks off the fielder's foot, R1 runs into him, knocks him over, and ends up safe at second.

Umpire is questioned and says because the ball kicked off the fielder, even though he was still trying to field the ball, there is no interference.

I can't really see anything that backs this up.

(Whole other issue in that it appeared that the runner lowered his shoulder and really took out the fielder, but that raises other issues.)

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:34 AM

Generally, if the fielder can still field the ball with "a step and a reach" he is still "protected" and the runner must avoid him.
If the ball rolls further away than that, no interference, in fact, in such a case the fielder could be guilty of obstruction if he gets in the way of the runner.

As for lowering the shoulder and bowling over the fielder, that could certainly warrant an ejection.
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Generally, if the fielder can still field the ball with "a step and a reach" he is still "protected" and the runner must avoid him.
If the ball rolls further away than that, no interference, in fact, in such a case the fielder could be guilty of obstruction if he gets in the way of the runner.

As for lowering the shoulder and bowling over the fielder, that could certainly warrant an ejection.

Thanks.
Umpire seems to be right but didn't explain exactly clearly.
And it is not in the book.

Just how far the ball kicked depends on who you ask.

Neither of the teams playing were mine.

And apparently, there has been more than one issue with this particular player taking out kids, once even after the game was over.
This will have to be watched.

#4 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

The interference call is judgement - agree with Lou. 

The collision is a sore point for me personally, as LL rules are less strict than high school and up regarding collision. 

With minors its more rarely likely to be deliberate, but I strongly encourage coaches to teach baserunners to attempt to avoid collision, as the baserunner is almost always in a better position to avoid than the fielder.  

• rsnyder6 likes this

#5 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Thanks. Umpire seems to be right but didn't explain exactly clearly. And it is not in the book.

Just how far the ball kicked depends on who you ask.

Neither of the teams playing were mine.

And apparently, there has been more than one issue with this particular player taking out kids, once even after the game was over. This will have to be watched.

A fielder is protected while he is fielding a batted ball.
If the ball has been kicked away he is no longer fielding a batted ball.
It's in the OBR which is the basis of the LL rules.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users