#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

It's almost that time of year!

LL has a recommended method for selecting All Stars, does anyone use it?

How do you select your All Stars?

How do you select your All Star managers/coaches?

#2 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Players must fill out a form requesting that they be considered for All Stars.
Of those players a list goes to all of the players in that age Division to vote for their peers. The coaches and managers also get to vote using the list of players.
The Managers are then told to make a list of players that they would personally draft as their "dream team" assuming they were selected to be the All Star Manager. All of that information goes to the board.
I don't know what happens at the Board meeting or even if it is an open or closed door meeting. I just never attended. Finally, on a particular day the team is announced.

When I was an All Star Manager my "dream team" wasn't even close to the final roster.

One main factor that comes into play is family vacation.
The form requires you to identify any vacation plans and commit to practices and games no matter how long it goes. Players who have committed to extended family vacations were not selected to play.
One year a player was selected because the family wrote down NO vacation. Then during the first week of practice the mom told the Manager they were leaving on vacation. The player was not allowed to return to the team. I am not sure what was said, or how they did it.

For Managers and Coaches we put in an application and the Board selects. Sometimes you have people saying they will coach but nobody wants to manage. Then the Board starts twisting arms.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

Three leagues in the County use similar methods.

Players wanting to be considered submit their names (Commitment Letter required to be signed by parent/guardian).

Kids vote for top 9 or 10 then the All Star manager picks the last 3-4.
At least one of the leagues require Board approval if the manager's picks are not in the top 15 vote getters (don't want the manager picking his or the coaches children if they are not ranked very high in votes).

Individuals interested in managing or coaching are interviewed by the BOD.
Based on the interviews, the President appoints and Board approves the managers and coaches.
They do not just automatically give the team to the manager of the Top Team.
He/she may not be the best person to represent the league.
  • amutz likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users