7 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Would like to know about the fields leagues use.
Do you own them? Rent them? From who? What does it cost.

We rent from the local town on a game by game basis.
They don't really maintain them except for cutting the grass, and getting them prepared for the day all the town officials show up.

We pay a lot for the fields, in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Last year they agreed to deduct some of our costs, for field dry, etc. that we use to maintain the fields and we would work out a plan to allow for some expenses for the new turf infield we just installed at our costs.

Apparently they are going to renege on all the promises.
Not only that, they demanded money we held back for costs, which we mailed a check for, but since they had not processed it yesterday, turned off our lights. (These are lights that we paid for the installation, and pay the electricity on).
We also built most of the buildings on the complex.)

So it looks like we will be paying for everything, even though we are maintaining and improving their fields.
So be it.
But I am curious how this works for other leagues?

It is not like we are hurting for money, though the turf used up a lot of funds we had been saving up for years.
That's not the issue.

Turing off lights on 7-8 year olds is an issue.

And contrast this with the adjoining town which is putting in entire new fields, one at a time, for every Little League in the town, until they are all new. (The first one looks great, at a cost of $700,000).

#2 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

Our league owns its own 'flagship field' thanks to the generosity of the league founders in the 1950s. We invest a lot of money in upkeep/improvements but it's a great asset.

We rent all other fields from the city, and it is a material budget item.

That said, the all-in cost per hour of field use is higher on the field we own and maintain ourselves due to lights, water, trash pickup, and some paid maintenance.

The city gives local nonprofits like ours a substantial discount relative to other 'renters'.

From recollection our rental cost per hour per field (all grass fields) is $7. (Our city gives local youth nonprofits a substantial discount.)
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

Wow, crazy that the town would just shut the lights off on kids.
Can't make for happy taxpayers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our complex is on town land that we lease for $1 every 50 years.

The lease is basically for us to do all the work and pay all the expenses as long as it's only used for LL purposes.

The town does pay for our water so that's a bonus.
They also will trim trees, help with street lights, smooth out the gravel parking lot, plow snow, etc. if we need it.

Some games (big diamond baseball, softball) are played on town fields in town parks and we don't have to pay for them.

We also hold most practices on the Board of Ed school fields.

This obviously saves us a huge chunk of money.
I can't image having to pay for fields.
Our registration fees would be absurd.
  • amutz likes this

#4 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:50 PM

Partially bought by the village and part donated to it.
All with a caveat that it be for the LL.
We have an exclusive use agreement at $0.00 cost.
Village pays water/sewer and mows the grass.

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:33 PM

The main league park for games and tournaments includes 2 regulation fields and snack shack.
The land is owned by the neighboring Catholic elementary school.
The league pays $1 a year to the school.
The league maintains the field and all that is on the field.
This relationship has been in place since the mid 1950s.

The league also has games on two other city fields.
It used to be that the league had free use of the fields for games and the league constructed and maintained them.
Now I am not sure if they have to pay even though the league constructed and maintains the fields.

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info folks.

This looks to be an ongoing issue.

In the county next to us, the new County Executive decided to change how they charged the leagues using their fields. A week or two before their season, the county sent out bills of up to $16,000 to local leagues. It made the news, etc. and the county legislature hastily passed a resolution changing that, and canceling the bills.

It seems foolish to me for the town to pick a fight with little league.

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Many many many years ago I was the President of a Youth Sports Organization.
We ran a baseball league (PONY at the time), a soccer league, a football league and a basketball league.
We played on a very large piece of land leased from the County.
Over the years the Association built/paid for everything on the property (5 baseball fields, 4 soccer fields, 2 football fields, a basketball court along with a concession stand, equipment/storage building and a meeting room.

We got a letter from the County saying the last of our 5 year leases was running out.
The County said our $1.00 per year lease few would be going up to $54,000.00 per year based on the new assessed value of the property!

To make a long story short, we got the newspaper to run several articles on the County taking away sports opportunities for over 1,000 kids.
We flooded the County Commissioner Meetings with parents.
We challenged the assessment since it was based on what the Association had built/paid for but gave no discount for the money the Association spent.

After a few months and a lot of meetings/discussions we ended up with a compromise.
To the best of my recollection we got five 10 year leases starting at $1,000 a year.
Each subsequent lease had a 10% increase cap.

Who said you can't fight City (County) Hall !!!
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#8 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

Many many many years ago I was the President of a Youth Sports Organization.
We ran a baseball league (PONY at the time), a soccer league, a football league and a basketball league.
We played on a very large piece of land leased from the County.
Over the years the Association built/paid for everything on the property (5 baseball fields, 4 soccer fields, 2 football fields, a basketball court along with a concession stand, equipment/storage building and a meeting room.

We got a letter from the County saying the last of our 5 year leases was running out.
The County said our $1.00 per year lease few would be going up to $54,000.00 per year based on the new assessed value of the property!

To make a long story short, we got the newspaper to run several articles on the County taking away sports opportunities for over 1,000 kids.
We flooded the County Commissioner Meetings with parents.
We challenged the assessment since it was based on what the Association had built/paid for but gave no discount for the money the Association spent.

After a few months and a lot of meetings/discussions we ended up with a compromise.
To the best of my recollection we got five 10 year leases starting at $1,000 a year.
Each subsequent lease had a 10% increase cap.d

Who said you can't fight City (County) Hall !!!

Sounds similar.

We used to pay $600 a year.
Sad that they see youth sports as a money source for the town.

Really ticked me when I went to the fields one day, and the women who does the baseball tots program for the town , (real young kids) was trying to set up and the fields were full of water since the town did nothing after a rain.
I helped her out and got the field good enough for her to use.
I didn't think the kids should pay, but come on.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users