3 replies to this topic

#1 Jmlugo8511

Jmlugo8511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:15 AM

Had a base umpire last night (18 yrs old) who was umpiring a Majors game from the "working area" (as if it was an Intermediate or Juniors game).
He refused to move behind the runners because, as he put it, "he was practicing for Umpire School and the Minor Leagues".

What do you do as the UIC for this umpire?

#2 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:47 AM

Tell him that what he is doing is not the correct positioning for the small diamond.
He is not doing himself any favors by working in this fashion, it will not help him at pro-school.
If he wants to practice the correct big diamond 2 man mechanics, give him intermediate and above games.

The UIC needs to tell him not to do that, and if he refuses, don't assign him games.
Can't have the inmates running the asylum.
The UIC is in charge and must set standards and enforce them.
  • amutz likes this

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

I agree with Robin.
Tell him he needs to use the proper mechanics for the field size he is umpiring.
If he can't do that he shouldn't be umpiring.

Maybe give him some games on the "big field" so he can work on those mechanics too.

Just wondering: Is he a Volunteer or do you pay him to umpire?

#4 Jmlugo8511

Jmlugo8511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

Well, I had a talk with him and the President.

Informed him that he wasn't invited to umpire in our In-House Tournament and that if he didn't understand that putting his interests before the players was not within LL's philosophy, then he would not be recommended to be appointed as an umpire in our league for the future.

We are all Volunteer Umpires here and I take pride in the program we have developed.
That's why it pretty much upset me when this umpire, who knows better, decided to do what's best for him during a majors game in a time when all the games count towards the Tournament.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users